Quantcast Flush USB 3.0 Expresscard Adapter - Page 16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Flush USB 3.0 Expresscard Adapter

Notebook Geek

Default Re: Flush USB 3.0 Expresscard Adapter

Adata N005 (top model)
    Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 (top model)
    Super Talent - Several Model with various speeds.
    And other.

Most speed and capacity devices will not work from conventional usb 2.0 in 100% cases.

Model with various capacity have various speed. Most of 8-16 gb have low small block speed. 64gb model near SSD in usb 3.0 enclosure. Buying with out studing review is risky in computers world.
    English is not native to me, so forgive me if you read something too crooked.

Thinkpad X201i i3 330m 8gb 320Gb WiFi/WiMax/3G Ultrabase 24" NEC IPS

Judged and found wanting.
    Close enough to hear Disney fireworks every night.

Quote Originally Posted by hamzie View Post
    I see. so what are people using to get 70mb/s ?
    Regular hard drives. Note that these high transfer rates really only matter for large numbers of or large size files. This is why USB flash and SD cards can get away with relatively low transfer speeds; most people don't use them for large or many files.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Coruja View Post
    I had occassion to test another portable USB 3.0 drive recently - a friend's Seagate GoFlex 1TB. All told I copied off the drive about 200GB of high-def MKV files of sizes varying from 0.5~30GB.

I then copied onto the drive about 600GB of high-def ISO files of sizes varying from 15~45GB.

The drive+expresscard adaper combo didn't miss a beat during this process - no hiccups or lost connections. Since I was copying from/to various locations there wasn't a consistent path - e.g. at one point I was copying off a Desktop external WD 1.5TB HDD connected to my laptop via eSata port to the Seagate. Generally I got speeds between 55MB/s up to 85MB/s.

Copying to/from my onboard Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 is consistently the fastest in the range 80-90MB/s.

Below are CrystalDiskMark tests for both drives with the Seagate on the left - I'm not sure exactly how to interpret these. The Seagate seemed to run fine with no extra power since my expresscard adapter does not have a power port and it didn't come with a Y-cable for another USB 2.0 connection (though I could've used the one that came with my Iomega but didn't bother). I've found the Iomega doesn't seem to require extra juice.

Do you think the Expresscard adapter is basically limited to the same power as a regular USB2.0 port? So far I'm happy with my first ventures into USB3.0 territory - probably got this job done in around 3rd of the time compared to USB2.0
    Thank you for sharing your further testing. My own tests confirm your results. I am using the 54mm dual port model version of the AKE card, on my HP 8730w laptop.

CrystalDiskMark results hover at your exact speeds

My test results confirm the significant speed increases with the AKE USB 3.0 card adapter:
    1) transferring a 2GB movie from a RAM disk (to eliminate any lags associated with my internal hard drive, also give the highest possible speed of my USB 3.0 combo), confirms the CrystalDiskMark results (20s for a 2GB file = 100MB/s). Same tests done through USB 2.0 give me speeds that are about 3.5 slower (about 29MB/s)
    2) Under real-world conditions in my system, transferring about 90GB of typical files files one would have on his hard drives, on an empty Iomega eGO from my internal Seagate Momentus 320GB drive, I get average speeds of 45MB/s on USB 3.0 and the same drive on USB 2.0 gives an average speed of 21MB/s. Basically, I timed the transfers in seconds and did the division.

Your results confirm:
    1) that internal hard drives are the bottleneck in any system. Real world USB 3.0 speed are going to be significantly affected my how fast your internal hard drive is.
    2) that CrystalDiskMark tests are accurate as far as giving pure results for a drive.
    3) that the AKE cards offers excellent performance and are only limited by the system [see my note about the Iomega eGO at the end of my post]. In other words, they are as fast as your system's lowest common denominator. I do not think from these results that the PCI interface speed limit of 2.5Gb/s (300MB/s) has any influence over the results you may obtain on your system.

In summary, I confirm your results and your findings: that the speed increase is in the range of approximately 2-3 times that which can be attained using the on-board 2.0 ports, and that this speed increase is only limited by your system's lowest common denominator.

In other wortds... The AKE branded USB 3.0 adapter seems to be a "two thumbs up" upgrade well worth the $20 street price.

Note: One thing that also comes out of my testing with the iOmega eGo BlackBelt, mostly in HDTune (I was never able to conclude one single ErrorScan), CrystalDiskMark and also on one of my transfer tests, your tests with the AKE card and the similarity of results I get with either of the two AKE cards I have, tell this:
    1) that my Iomega eGO BlackBelt drive is flaky
    2) the randomness of the stoppage indicates it is unlikely to be an actual surface defect of the drive itself (internally a Samsung HM100UI), but more likely a problem with the enclosure electronics or the cable itself (After discussion of the problem with an Iomega CSR, Iomega is sending me a replacement cable).
    2010 HP 8740w, WUXGA DreamColor2, Quadro 5000M, QuadCore i7 820m, 8GB, Speed Demon, Work In Progress
    2009 HP 8730w, WUXGA * 3
    - DreamColor: Daily Workhorse
    - Identical one for parts, Clone Project Donor 1
    - CCFL in Pristine Condition, Clone Project Donor 2
    2006 Toshiba P-205, Core2 Duo, WXGA+, after 6 Years' Heavy Use, Completely Restored to New Condition
    1996 Toshiba 110CT, WfWG 3.11 on Microdrive; 1993 IBM Thinkpad TP500, had a Trackpoint ever since

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Nandarou View Post
    Has anyone used a 54mm AKE adapter with USB 3.0 flash drive.
    Please look up my previous posts. All were done using that exact card, albeit using a hard drive instead of a flash drive. It is well known that hard drives pull more power than flash drives.

I have ADATA N005 32GB. This flash drive is somewhere in the middle of the rating for the consumption of current from the port. Therefore, I worry whether the adapter will pull this flash drive on a power from Expresscard slot.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad 201.
    You should have no problems. Besides, the AKE adapter card includes its own extra power supply port and cable should you require it. Please look up the previous posts, there are pictures of the card and its extra power port.

In my opinion, this port is there only because the card has two USB 3.0 ports and is mainly designed as a backup, should one use TWO devices on the card at the same time.

If you are willing to wait until cards with the updated u720PD chip come out (sorry can't remember the exact number - it's the 'A' version), which are claimed to use 85% less power than the current ones, you will definitely have much more power available from the ExpressCard port. Maybe these new cards won't need an extra power port under certain conditions, like the current ones do.
    2010 HP 8740w, WUXGA DreamColor2, Quadro 5000M, QuadCore i7 820m, 8GB, Speed Demon, Work In Progress
    2009 HP 8730w, WUXGA * 3
    2006 Toshiba P-205, Core2 Duo, WXGA+, after 6 Years' Heavy Use, Completely Restored to New Condition
    1996 Toshiba 110CT, WfWG 3.11 on Microdrive; 1993 IBM Thinkpad TP500, had a Trackpoint ever since

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by hamzie View Post
    I see. so what are people using to get 70mb/s ?
    An a fast external USB 3.0 hard drive, on a recent system with a very fast internal hard drive, transferring large files.

In other words, what Judicator said...
    2009 HP 8730w, WUXGA * 3

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by 83bj60 View Post
    You should have no problems. Besides, the AKE adapter card includes its own extra power supply port and cable should you require it. Please look up the previous posts, there are pictures of the card and its extra power port.
    PD720200A | USB3.0 Host Controller | Product Lineup | USB | ASSP | Products | RENESAS Electronics
    Realize low power consumption during idle state
    µPD720200A realizes 1/5 power consumption comparing with µPD720200 during the system like as PC is working and not connected any USB devices.
    English is not native to me, so forgive me if you read something too crooked.

Thinkpad X201i i3 330m 8gb 320Gb WiFi/WiMax/3G Ultrabase 24" NEC IPS

Notebook Enthusiast

I have a problem installing the AKE USB 3.0 express card purchased from here using the most recent driver found here. I'm running Windows 7 x64, and it won't recognize the card. I've tried installing the driver and then plugging in the card, installing the driver with the card plugged in, and plugging in the card and then installing the driver via the .exe and through Device Manager manually, but nothing works. The computer detects the card's presence, but doesn't know what to do with it.

Am I missing a step or doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Wait, am I supposed to flash the most recent firmware first before the drivers can work?
    Last edited by achensherd; 6th February 2011 at 06:25 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

got my USB 3.0 Expresscard Adaptor coming from America
    Ł12 delivered should be here tomorrow
    Aspire 8930G (win8.1 64bit)18.4" 1920x1080,Intel® Core™2 Extreme Mobile Processor X9100 3.066Ghz(OC to 3.6Ghz
    6GB DDR3 ,express 54 usb 3.0,120gb ssd/500gb hdd

Notebook Evangelist

PD720200A | USB3.0 Host Controller | Product Lineup | USB | ASSP | Products | RENESAS Electronics
    Realize low power consumption during idle state
    µPD720200A realizes 1/5 power consumption comparing with µPD720200 during the system like as PC is working and not connected any USB devices.
    The AKE 54mm USB 3.0 adapter card uses the µPD720200 chip, NOT the newer µPD720200A (it was just anounced last july and is expected to come out in devices as of Q1 2011)
    2009 HP 8730w, WUXGA * 3

Notebook Enthusiast

Got the flush ebay card today. Fits really well in my m1330