Quantcast Disassembling laptop battery pack and replacing the ones inside

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disassembling laptop battery pack and replacing the ones inside

Hi, so I've got an HP dv9000 laptop. the battery pack is old and only lasts for about 20 minutes when fully charged so I wanted to replace the batteries inside it. So I took it apart. But now I don't know which batteries I should buy to replace the old ones. Do they have to have the same voltage when put together?

Here are my battery pack specs:
    Product number: hstnn-lb33;

8 batteries inside;
    Li-ion batteries;
    14.4 Volts, 63 Wh;
    4400mAh;

The batteries in the pack are aligned after each other in a serial connection.

I would like batteries that last longer. Would that be indicated by the mAh or the Volt number?
    I don't really know much about this.

Also I didn't really think about this before I took it apart. One side of the pack is open. It broke off when I opened the pack. I can't put it back. So is it dangerous to use the pack like this? The batteries are intact and the pack still fits in the laptop and works. Can Li-Ion batteries explode? If yes, are there other rechargeable batteries that I could put in there?

I got the idea to take the pack apart after watching this video.

I don't know if this was a good idea but I've got nothing to loose.
    I didn't buy a knew one because they just don't last long enough even if they're new.

Thanks for replying,
    Philip

Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Default Re: Disassembling laptop battery pack and replacing the ones inside

The forum in the link below can give you a lot of information and help in getting replacement li-ion battery`s

Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included - CandlePowerForums
    DON`T BLAME ME IF YOUR NOTEBOOK BLOWS UP WHILE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE, IT`S PURELY VOLUNTARY

HP Envy Rove 20-k000ea 20 inch Mobile AIO desktop PC - Plextor M5 Pro Extreme 512GB SSD SLC Enterprise Grade

Notebook Deity

They're all the same voltage, if you buy a li-ion battery cell, it WILL be the same voltage as any other li-ion cell. The figure you should be interested in is the mAh though, basically get the highest you can find/afford, this figure is how much charge the battery can take. I'm pretty sure the management chip shouldn't freak out if it has a higher than normal capacity.
    Dell Studio XPS 16:
    Intel Core2 Duo P8600
    1080p RGBLED
    HD3670
    500GB 7200rpm
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    ...you get the idea, read another SXPS16 owners sig and that's pretty much what I have

Notebook Virtuoso

any 18650 li-ion cells will be good enough. I would recommend protected 18650.
    If you go on deal extreme.com . You can buy 6 of them for under 20 i believe.

Banned

Protected is not necessary since the circuitry in the laptop battery already has that covered.

Duct Tape Dude

I made the mistake of purchasing protected cells. They're bigger than the unprotected ones and didn't fit right.

Sep 2013: Asus UX32vd-DS71 1.9GHz IVB GT620m 10GB 2x128GB SSD 1080p matte IPS
    Apr 2013: Z77 Desktop 4.4GHz 3770k 7870 Pitcairn 24GB 2x256GB SSD 23" 1080p IPS H2O cooler
    Dec 2008: Asus G50vt-X1 3.5GHz C2D GTX260m 6GB 1TB XT/5.4k DT'd WSXGA+ matte G51 HSF+Cu+manual ctrl OLED+LCDHype
    Nov 2012: HTPC 2.6GHz SB 8GB 3TB+2TB+500GB w/Drive Bender (5TB useable)

RIP: Aug13 Acer Aspire S7 | Jul07 Sager NP2090 | Oct11 Jetway mITX

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by dtd00d View Post
    I made the mistake of purchasing protected cells. They're bigger than the unprotected ones and didn't fit right.
    Protected 18650 are exact same size as regular 18650 li-ion cells. "18650" is the physical size of the battery. It's like almost all AA batteries are the same size.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dtd00d View Post
    If you peel the plastic wrapper off the end of the cell, you can see and remove the protection circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by jackluo923 View Post
    Protected 18650 are exact same size as regular 18650 li-ion cells. "18650" is the physical size of the battery. It's like almost all AA batteries are the same size.
    There are some cells labeled as 1865 that come a little longer than spec due to their protection circuit.

Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Yeah, protected 18650 are a little longer and slightly wider , the protection pcb is on the bottom of the negative end and there is a approx 4mm wide conductive strip running up to the positive end.

EDIT : a bit more information.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=277787
    Last edited by Tinderbox (UK); 6th June 2010 at 01:34 PM.
    DON`T BLAME ME IF YOUR NOTEBOOK BLOWS UP WHILE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE, IT`S PURELY VOLUNTARY

HP Envy Rove 20-k000ea 20 inch Mobile AIO desktop PC - Plextor M5 Pro Extreme 512GB SSD SLC Enterprise Grade

Notebook Guru

Be very careful, repacking a battery is dangerous. Your battery can catch fire and/or explode at anytime if its not done right. Lithium batteries pack a lot of juice! I've done this before and will only do it again if I have free cells. Because its cheaper to just buy a chinese battery off of ebay. Often the control board can be bad or corroded with battery acid or you touch something when soldering and boom! so proceed with great caution if you have never done this work before!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast