Quantcast Phoenix Bios Crisis Recovery NO FLOPPY(YES)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Phoenix Bios Crisis Recovery NO FLOPPY(YES)

For Notebook Users who have Phoenix Bios:

For some time now Phoenix has included the BB.bin( Boot Block ), a recovery mode for bad bios flash.

BUT.............

The tools for writing the recovery Image have required a USB Floppy, as most Notebooks lack Floppy. This is a PITA, I just could not believe that Flash Drives could not be Used.

I searched High and Low, and found much speculation, and until now the consensus seemed to be that the BB.bin just did not support Flash Drives.

Not True........

We just did not have the correct tool for writing the CRISBOOT.BIN to the Boot sector of a Flash Drive.

Phoenix has released WINCRIS.EXE Version 1.0.0.4, Sept 24 2008.

I can confirm, this tool Can and Will Correctly write to USB Flash Drives and recover the BIOS.
    Attachment 40863

Extract that and add the BIOS.WPH file you wish to use into the WINCRISIS Dir. Run the Wincris.exe and chose your flash drive.

I have tested with a 512MB CF card in a Lexar Media USB 2.0 Multi-Card reader.

I will test with a 4GB USB Stick and see if I need to drop it to FAT vs Fat32 as Flash under 4GB may not be handy for some users.

I'll try to update this thread with a How-to for each flash drive I have, if you can confirm this works for you, please post your results.

P.S.

Shame on NoteBook OEM's and Phoenix for not Including this Tool with EVERY Bios UPDATE.

I've seen user after user who needed this tool and had to rush off and find a USB Floppy to recover a Bad OEM Bios Flash.

Banned

Default Re: Phoenix Bios Crisis Recovery NO FLOPPY(YES)

thanks for information!

but i will never flash my bios.not a good thing to do.

Notebook Consultant

Bios Updates from your OEM often contain Critical Updates for your Hardware.

Sometimes Not applying a Bios Update may shorten the life of your Notebook, it's often needed for New OS's.

Every OEM offers Bios Updates.

Wisdom listens quietly...

Quote Originally Posted by notebooker-hp View Post
    thanks for information!

You don't know what you're missing.

VT support for Win 7 XP Mode was only one of the things Sony admits for the latest bios for my VAIO system - who knows what else they 'tweaked'?

Notebook Consultant

I tested with a 4GB Flash drive, while the WINCRIS.EXE did format the drive, it FAILED to recover the Bios.

It seemed to format FAT16 however 4GB Partition, the limit for FAT16 should be 2GB, I think this is the trouble.

So out of the Box, I assume you will need a 2GB or less Flash Drive, but I'll need to do more testing............................

Update

Ok, I used DD to make a Block by Block Image File of my 512MB CF Card and wrote that file back to my 4GB DataTraveler 2.0 Kingston USB Stick.

It worked, DD is a *nix tool, so one of you Windows Guru's will have to let us know how to make this work in Windows.

With the tools I posted you need to Format FAT16, this is trouble for drives greater than 2GB, so the Partition Size Hack I used with DD.
    Last edited by Darth_nVader; 17th November 2009 at 03:46 PM.

Trailblazer

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_nVader View Post
    I tested with a 4GB Flash drive, while the WINCRIS.EXE did format the drive, it FAILED to recover the Bios.

It seemed to format FAT16 however 4GB Partition, the limit for FAT16 should be 2GB, I think this is the trouble.

So out of the Box, I assume you will need a 2GB or less Flash Drive, but I'll need to do more testing............................

Update

Ok, I used DD to make a Block by Block Image File of my 512MB CF Card and wrote that file back to my 4GB DataTraveler 2.0 Kingston USB Stick.

It worked, DD is a *nix tool, so one of you Windows Guru's will have to let us know how to make this work in Windows.

With the tools I posted you need to Format FAT16, this is trouble for drives greater than 2GB, so the Partition Size Hack I used with DD.
    DD works fine on windows.

Thanks Darth_nVader, you saved my day, I ve just recovered my dead Toshiba satellite thanks to your help, the magic key was : 1.0.0.4, I have tryed everything I could, without any result! thank you very much

Notebook Enthusiast

It says invalid attachment. Where do I get this?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by notebooker-hp View Post
    thanks for information!

You will flash it at some point in time. Just a fact of technology! You are right in the since that is one of the riskier things to do with a computer, but if you follow instructions and backup appropriately there is little chance of problem. I've flashed at least a hundred or more without ever there being a major problem.

Notebook Deity

My Aspire One suddenly refused to charge its battery anymore. I called tech support, assuming a bad battery, and one of the things they told me to do before sending it back was to flash the BIOS to the latest version. I was able to do that, and the process completed successfully, but when I restarted the computer, it still did not charge the battery, but now instead of the Windows desktop I got a BSOD during the boot process. Repeatedly. And, of course, their BIOS "updater" that I would have to run to go back to the version I was previously running only works in Windows.

Instead of just replacing my battery, they now had to replace my motherboard as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast