Quantcast How to find the clock generator (PLL) in your notebook/desktop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Notebook Nobel Laureate

Default How to find the clock generator (PLL) in your notebook/desktop.

Support Nando4!

Lots of people ask this question:
    Quote Originally Posted by lots of people
    How do I find my PLL
    So I thought I would just write everything that I know. This thread is a work in progress, so please help out if I miss something

Method 1:

Let me quote nando4 here:
    Quote Originally Posted by nando4 View Post
    Software to detect *some* PLLs

SiSoftware's Sandra diagnostic software can detect some PLLs. See more info here.
    This is the best method in my opinion, though it doesn't work if your PLL is "write only".

So here are the steps to use si-sandra:
    1. Download and install si-sandra.
    2. click on the hardware tab then click on "mainboard".
    3. scroll down to "system clock generator" then look if "read back support" is "yes".
    4. I believe if "read back support" is yes then it has detected your PLL.
    I have tried it on my laptop (screenshot) and "read back support" is no.
    So I can give no further instructions for si-sandra, but I believe if your PLL is not "write only" then it should be shown in the mainboard section in sandra.

Google should provide more info on si-sandra.

Method 2:
    Again another software method "trial and error". Not as safe as method 1, but it should have a greater chance of working.

1. Download setfsb here

2. Select the first PLL (clock generator) in the drop down list.
    3. Press "getfsb", if you get no error and your CPU frequency is detected correctly then do step 4. Otherwise try step 6.

4. Hit "setfsb" and see what happens, if the system doesn't lock up then go to step 5, otherwise step 6.
    5. Move the top slider a tiny bit, then hit setfsb again. Use CPUz to check if the overclock/underclock worked. If not then see step 6.

6. Pick the next available PLL in setfsb and start from step 3.

Keep doing this until a PLL works or until you run out of PLLs to choose.

If nothing in setfsb works, try the same method with clockgen.

You can speed this process up by checking the vendor ID byte:

Method 3:

Find the datasheet/specsheet/schematics for your notebook/desktop.
    The PLL should be written there.

Usually it takes some time for this info to be released. So this method is good when your notebook is old.

Method 4:
    This method most people have a problem with. Maybe because you could lose warranty or whatever...

Try to get a look at the motherboard of your notebook/desktop. This is very easy on a desktop, not so easy on a notebook.

Just read the model of the PLL straight from the chip itself.

It's usually (but not always) near a crystal that says 14.318MHz.
    I guess the most common brand would be ICS. Also SLG and RTM are very common.

ICS is made by IDT.
    SLG is made by silego.
    RTM is realtek.

Look for a chip with something like "ICS*****" or "SLG*****" or "RTM*****".

It comes in two main shapes, rectangle and square. Some might say a square is a special type of rectangle so just look for a rectangle

A lot of PLLs have 64 pins.

here are photos of my PLL.

And here is a very useful link that will help you spot the PLL.

Method 5:
    This method should probably be tried first, but I think it's a boring method so I write it last

Look on the internet to see if someone already found the PLL in your notebook/desktop...

That's about it, if you dont know your PLL by now, I don't know what to tell you really.

I will say this:
    If you have any problems with these methods, I will try to help.
    You just have to give the details

But I take no responsibility for anything that goes wrong, you should understand that there are risks and you could kill your notebook/desktop.

If you know your PLL:
    Try grub2 bootloader overclocking.
    Still can't overclock, then check my other thread:
    PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Like I said, this thread is still being worked on, so take that into account before you say anything bad about it. but please do give any advice you think is helpful. I appreciate it

Photos and more detail will me uploaded soon.

New photo attached, it's from my latest notebook (gt627). The PLL is ICS9LPR113AKLF:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ICS9LPRS113AKLF.JPG  
    Last edited by moral hazard; 11th September 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Templar Assassin

Default Re: How to find the clock generator (PLL) in your notebook/desktop.

+ rep for this, will definitely be helpful to people wanting to OC their CPU.

Desktop: ATI 5850 @1000/1125 | Core i5 750 2.66GHz @4.74GHz | G. Skill 4GB DDR3 1600MHz | Coolermaster Storm Scout Case | Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
    On Order from GentechPC: Clevo NP170SM - GTX 770M | Core i7 4700MQ | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | 120GB Samsung EVO SSD

Notebook Enthusiast

Sandra has read my pll but i cannot find it .Can you help with this one ?

Notebook Deity

About method 3... Do mainstream OEMs like Acer and Sony even release this information, ever?

I'm under the impression that they're trying their hardest to prevent you from overclocking your PC using whatever means necessary, so I'd be surprised if they actually helped by giving out the necessary information.

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Quote Originally Posted by MafiaMan View Post
    Sandra has read my pll but i cannot find it .Can you help with this one ?
    Check all of the options in sandra. You should be able to see the name of the PLL somewhere in sandra. Check on sandras site for how to use it.

It should definatly work for you.
    Just look through every part of sandra.

your notebook should be very easy to overclock.
    You could just try every available clock generator in setfsb and it's likely one will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Peon View Post
    About method 3... Do mainstream OEMs like Acer and Sony even release this information, ever?

I'm under the impression that they're trying their hardest to prevent you from overclocking your PC using whatever means necessary, so I'd be surprised if they actually helped by giving out the necessary information.
    Some notebooks that are over 3 years old do have the schematics online. But you have to look really hard.
    Clevo P150HM / Sager NP8150: i7-2630QM OEM (would trade for Q154) | 7970m | 8gb 1600mhz ram | 2x HDD
    Toshiba satellite P750 : B960 2.2Ghz |6gb 1333mhz ram | GT 540M |128gb Samsung SSD + 750gb HDD
    Alienware M17 / OCZ whitebook Arima w840di : SP9400 3.45Ghz (386Mhz FSB) | 9800m GT (dead)

Notebook Enthusiast

i couldn't find pll in sandra so i user good old method . I saw there are no warrany sticker and opened the laptop . It was quiet easy with vaio . I think this is the pll number ?

if it's not , here the pic of whole motherboard , so you tell which is it

Thanks in advance

edit
    i have these pics in 2592 and 4000 resoulutions , so i can post them for easyer zooming ?

Notebook Nobel Laureate

I dont see it in either of those pics, maybe it's on the other side of the motherboard.

Did you try this in sandra:
    uncheck "Ignore unknown PLL IC" option under "Motherboard Information" tab, and re-run again.
    Clevo P150HM / Sager NP8150: i7-2630QM OEM (would trade for Q154) | 7970m | 8gb 1600mhz ram | 2x HDD
    Toshiba satellite P750 : B960 2.2Ghz |6gb 1333mhz ram | GT 540M |128gb Samsung SSD + 750gb HDD
    Alienware M17 / OCZ whitebook Arima w840di : SP9400 3.45Ghz (386Mhz FSB) | 9800m GT (dead)

Notebook Enthusiast

Yes i tryed that . If it's checked it doesnt even show Clock Generator under ''MI'' tab. I'll to see other side of the motherboard tommorow. It's 4.37h in the morning at me so it's time for sleep . Thanks for tip.

Notebook Consultant

Moral_Hazard, I think the best way maybe to read the data @07h and 08h In SetFSB.

It seems to hold true, the Vendor ID and Chip Revision ID are held here for ICS RTM and SLG.

With some help from everyone, we could make a Database.

Notebook Nobel Laureate

That is a great idea.
    Might need to make a thread for that, I am willing to help.
    I know where to find a few setfsb screenshots in this forum, so that could be a start.

If you start the thread, I'll help you out with finding the info.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast