Quantcast 4GB or 6GB

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4GB or 6GB

Notebook Guru

Default 4GB or 6GB

If the option were available..should I customize my incoming lappy from 4Gb to 6GB?

Does it really make a difference??

I do multitask...but not that much. And i do play games..but none of my games are going to be that demanding

Notebook Guru

Default Re: 4GB or 6GB

Pick up 4GB of Ram and upgrade 6GB of Ram later if necessary or maybe some softs & games would demand it in the future ^^!
    PSP Pink
    Vaio FW Black

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jejjohnson View Post
    If the option were available..should I customize my incoming lappy from 4Gb to 6GB?

I do multitask...but not that much. And i do play games..but none of my games are going to be that demanding
    Anything over 4GB is overkill at this point. In the future, there may be a need for more 6GB or even 8GB, but current programs (even with several running simultaneously) don't need more than 3-4GB.

There are only 2-slots for RAM in a laptop. If you order 4GB, it is configured at two 2GB modules. If you order 6GB, it would be one 2GB module and one 4GB module, which is very expensive still. A 2GB module can be had for $25 or less but 4GB modules are priced well over $200 each! The wise choice would be to get 4GB now and, if you ever need more in the future, you can get it when prices have fallen.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by jejjohnson View Post

If you don't know if it makes a difference then it won't make a difference because you don't use programs which could benefit from so much RAM.
    Fujitsu LifeBook T2010__12.1" AFFS+ BoeHydis WXGA - 12h battery life
    C2D U7600 - X3100 IGP - 4GB RAM - 500GB Hitachi 5k500.B
    Input: 2x USB FrogPad one-handed keyboard / 1x BT FrogPad / Hippus Handshoemouse
    Accesories: HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS Panel / OpticBook 3600 Bookscanner
    Software: Windows 7 x64 / Bluebeam PDF Revu 7.2 / Opera 10

Notebook Evangelist

What about for programs such as Photoshop? I thought you could configure Photoshop to use as much RAM as you want. I would have thought that working with huge Photoshop documents, you would benefit from the extra memory. (Or if Photoshop can't use 6GB, maybe you could set it to use 4GB, and still have a full 2GB for the rest of your system.)

EDIT: Ah, that's interesting. I just searched around on the web regarding Photoshop and its RAM usage. Apparently, the application can only 'talk' to 3GB of RAM, but Photoshop will use the remaining RAM as a scratch disk, until it fills it all up, at which point it switches to your hard drive(s). So, while the program can't actually communicate directly with all the RAM, it can use the extra as a sort of ultra-fast SSD to store your working documents on. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by blabus; 21st March 2009 at 11:32 AM.
    MacBook Pro | 15.4" LED 1440 x 900 | 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | NVIDIA 9400m + 9600m GT GDDR3 | 4GB PC3-8500 RAM | 120GB SATA SSD | Mac OS X Snow Leopard
    labusdesign.com

Equivocally Nerdy

4GB is already more than most users ever need
    Desktop - Corsair 300R - Seasonic X650 - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - Radeon 6850 Crossfire@1000/1200 Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo ll - AMD FX 8320@4.8GHz Corsair H80 - 8GB CAS7 DDR3 1600 - Samsung 120GB 840 - Lite-On DVD

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6910458 *** http://i.imgur.com/f6NMeG6.jpg

Currently without a notebook, what's next!?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by anothergeek View Post
    4GB is already more than most users ever need
    Although 4GB RAM is often useful for splitting up between different parts of the OS- i.e. as I said in the above post, dedicating 2GB just to Photoshop, or if you're using a Mac with VMWare/Parallels, splitting the RAM so that each operating system gets a full 2GB.
    MacBook Pro | 15.4" LED 1440 x 900 | 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | NVIDIA 9400m + 9600m GT GDDR3 | 4GB PC3-8500 RAM | 120GB SATA SSD | Mac OS X Snow Leopard
    labusdesign.com

God

bla bla bla over Xgb is overkill. Well it all depends how you use your pc. USUALLY over 4gb is overkill. for me it's not. it all depends. just games? 4gb is enough. and check prices. is it really worth it? and 4gb ddr3 prices are insane atm. ddr2 not so much.

Notebook Prophet

Just last year everyone was saying 2gb was right and 4gb was too much. Now that 4gb is affordable these people are saying 4gb is right and anything more is over kill. I disagree. Ive been running 8gb for a while now and the pc uses it. If you have the money get it. All the naysayers just cant afford it.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by allfiredup View Post
    Anything over 4GB is overkill at this point.
    I disagree, strongly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast