Quantcast ejecting stuck disc from slot loading drive

Closed Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default ejecting stuck disc from slot loading drive

Hi, I have been reading some back threads about slot loading vs. tray cd/dvd disc drives. There does not seem to be much technical difference between them, just that slot drives are cooler (not in temp terms, but fashion terms), might be less prone to mechanical breakdown (less moving parts). However, one big difference is that there is no eject button for slot loaders so if a disc is stuck, you literally have to take the drive apart (and it is not easy to even get to the drive in a laptop, no less take the physical drive apart). A couple of the threads mentioned that there were slot loaders with an eject button but did not mention any makes or models. Does anyone know of such a beast ? Much thanks!
    M1330; 8300 cpu, 2 gb ram, 120 gb h/d 7200, 8400 video card and led screen, intel n wireless and bluetooth; 6 cell battery; $1300 CND!

Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^
    Rensselaer Polytechnic, and Huntington, NY

Default Re: ejecting stuck disc from slot loading drive

Actually slot loading drives have many more moving parts than a tray loading drive. I have two DVr-K06 slot loading drives from Pioneer, and both have eject buttons for optical drive ejection

I dont know if the DVR-K06 or the UJ834 from Panasonic will fit in your system. I think the XPS has a tapered bezel, which may prevent another drive from working in it.

Here is a picture of the drive:

K-TRON
    Dell E1505: Intel T7600G @ 3.16GHz, 4GB PC6400, Crucial M4 512GB SSD, ATI X1400

Detroit Diesel 5.2L 6V53T with N70 injectors: 1650LBs of American Muscle (330HP @ 2650rpm, 775lb/ft @ 1600rpm) - waiting on a 51 Hudson
    1979 GMC 7000 Motorhome:
    170hp 4-53T Detroit Diesel, Spicer CM50 5250-C transmission, Eaton 2 speed rear 5.57/7.60

Licensed Mechanic for: Detroit Diesel, Deutz, General Motors, Wisconsin, Continental, Generac, Briggs and Stratton, Tecumseh, and Kohler engines.

Notebook Enthusiast

K-TRON i dont think he means an electrical eject button. If i understand correctly you are talking about that tiny hole you can push a bent paperclip into to eject a disk. I'll try and find a pic.

Notebook Evangelist

Hi, yes, I am talking about the hole you put a paper clip through; sorry if that was not clear. The pioneer drives will not work with the 1330, unfortunately; nice looking drives . If anyone knows of a slot loader with an emergency eject button that you put a paperclip in, I would be interested to know about it!
    M1330; 8300 cpu, 2 gb ram, 120 gb h/d 7200, 8400 video card and led screen, intel n wireless and bluetooth; 6 cell battery; $1300 CND!

Titles Shmm-itles

On a sidenote, I have used a Pioneer slot loader for a few years and suffered little if no reliability problems. Maybe because Pioneers have been making slot loaders for Car Audio units for years......

I'd like to hear this from the perspective of someone with a little more mechanical expertise.
    Dell Inspiron 1420 HP tz2500 Tablet PC Lenovo X200T Dell XT2 x 2
    Too close for missiles/ Switching to guns
    Jack Daniels/ Jim Beam/ Johnnie Walker/ Jose Cuervo

Notebook Deity

I sold a Pioneer desktop slot loading drive over the summer, worked wonderfully. Would have kept it had I not have a pile of spare computer parts. And for some reason, it was uncommon to find a slot loading desktop drive and therefore it sold for a pretty decent amount of money. Wish I had more of them!
    Dell Studio XPS 1640

| Windows 7 Professional x64 | Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 15.4" Edge-to-Edge WLED (1920x1080) | 4GB Samsung DDR3 1066MHz | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 1GB GDDR3 | Western Digital 500GB | Slot Load Dual Layer DVD+/-R | Back-lit Keyboard |

Bog
    Losing it...

Quote Originally Posted by yasdaz View Post
    Hi, I have been reading some back threads about slot loading vs. tray cd/dvd disc drives. There does not seem to be much technical difference between them, just that slot drives are cooler (not in temp terms, but fashion terms), might be less prone to mechanical breakdown (less moving parts). However, one big difference is that there is no eject button for slot loaders so if a disc is stuck, you literally have to take the drive apart (and it is not easy to even get to the drive in a laptop, no less take the physical drive apart). A couple of the threads mentioned that there were slot loaders with an eject button but did not mention any makes or models. Does anyone know of such a beast ? Much thanks!
    Slot loading drives are, due to their more complex design, not as reliable as their tray-loading counterparts; but their advantages shine through in other areas.

That said, I don't think there is a paper-clip hole for manually retrieving the CD. On my 1535, I only know of two ways; through Vista, or through the media button.
    "Earth" Desktop | Asus 21.5" 1920x1080 | C2D E6750 @ 3.0GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB + 1TB HD | Radeon 6850 | Corsair TX650 | Windows 7 64-bit

"Mercury" uMBP | 13" LED | C2D P8400 @ 2.4GHz | 6GB RAM | 500GB HD | Mac OS X 10.7

NBR Reviewer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWieIoBBrk

see if this works for you

Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^
    Rensselaer Polytechnic, and Huntington, NY

Slot loading drives will last very long for one reason, one cannot touch the lens of the laser, so it does not get dirty. On a tray load drive, you have to open the tray, and guaranteed at least a few times while using the drive, your finger will touch the lens causing it to get dirty, and result in improper reads and writes.
    Slot loading drives are reliable as long as you dont use mini discs.

K-TRON
    Dell E1505: Intel T7600G @ 3.16GHz, 4GB PC6400, Crucial M4 512GB SSD, ATI X1400

Detroit Diesel 5.2L 6V53T with N70 injectors: 1650LBs of American Muscle (330HP @ 2650rpm, 775lb/ft @ 1600rpm) - waiting on a 51 Hudson
    1979 GMC 7000 Motorhome:
    170hp 4-53T Detroit Diesel, Spicer CM50 5250-C transmission, Eaton 2 speed rear 5.57/7.60

Licensed Mechanic for: Detroit Diesel, Deutz, General Motors, Wisconsin, Continental, Generac, Briggs and Stratton, Tecumseh, and Kohler engines.