Quantcast Remove/Replace Thinkpad T60 Fan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Remove/Replace Thinkpad T60 Fan

I have a Thinkpad T60 that I bought from Lenovo about 1 year ago. Since then the fan has become very loud and annoying. It makes a sound very similar to when you have a playing card stuck between the spokes of a bicycle. I'm pretty sure this is because of dust, hair, and other gunk that has gotten sucked into the rotor and is obstructing its free rotation.

Does anyone know of how I can physically remove the fan from my notebook so that I can thoroughly clean it out? I have looked everywhere online, including these forums and the Lenovo/IBM website, but haven't found a way to actually remove the fan. I don't see any obvious ways of getting access to it from the keyboard area, or the screws on the bottom of the notebook, but I know that there must be some way to do it because Lenovo support staff have to have a way to replace it in case of malfunction. Thanks in advance.

can i haz broadwell?

Default Re: Remove/Replace Thinkpad T60 Fan

Well sir, I have just the solution for you!

Say hello to the T60 series service manual!
    n o n s e n s e - w a r s . c o m

Intel NUC DC53427HYE Akasa Newton V/i5-3427U/8GB/HD 4000/830 128GB/7 Pro
    ThinkPad Yoga i5-4300U/4GB/HD 4400/FHD/Digitizer/Pro 1500 180GB/8.1 Pro

D830 Review/CPU Compatibility/GPU Reflow

Thank you, I think this is exactly what I was looking for.

I have been having the same problem, about a year old as well...It sounds like a jet taking off. Have followed the Manual once to get in and look at it, nothing obstructing it at all. It appears that the fan is not seated correctly as pressing down on various points while it was spinning would silence the buzzing. Please let me know if you have any success.

I just started having the same problem with my T60p. It is actually loudest when it is at it's lowest setting (~3000 rpm). I have had the machine for a year and the fan has run almost continuously since I have had it. I wonder if there is a way to improve the cooling of the machine. I hear the T61p has a better fan/heatsink combo -- would it be possible to get one and put it into the T60p?

Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^
    Rensselaer Polytechnic, and Huntington, NY

No, the T61P uses a different heatsink, than the T60. The heatsink from the T61 is bigger and has a different organization/shape than the fan/heatsink in the T60.

K-TRON
    Dell E1505: Intel T7600G @ 3.16GHz, 4GB PC6400, Crucial M4 512GB SSD, ATI X1400

Detroit Diesel 5.2L 6V53T with N70 injectors: 1650LBs of American Muscle (330HP @ 2650rpm, 775lb/ft @ 1600rpm) - waiting on a 51 Hudson
    1979 GMC 7000 Motorhome:
    170hp 4-53T Detroit Diesel, Spicer CM50 5250-C transmission, Eaton 2 speed rear 5.57/7.60

Licensed Mechanic for: Detroit Diesel, Deutz, General Motors, Wisconsin, Continental, Generac, Briggs and Stratton, Tecumseh, and Kohler engines.

If the heatsink can't be upgraded, would it be a good idea to get new/better thermal paste?

Also, how would you go about cleaning the fan? Aside from compressed air, would it make sense to use a cue-tip and alcohol or something to wipe out all the gunk in the fan? Is this likely to be the solution to the noise?

Hi, I'm Jimmy Diesel ^_^
    Rensselaer Polytechnic, and Huntington, NY

You can use a q-tip to clean the fan, but that means you have to take the system apart to clean the fan.
    If you have a decent air compressor, you could just blow all of the dust out of your system in a quick and efficient manner.

You could apply better thermal paste, but dont expect miracles.

You have a T60, which means you have a core based processor.
    Download cpu rightmark or notebook hardware control, and undervolt your processor. This will help keep temperatures down much more than thermal paste would.

K-TRON
    Dell E1505: Intel T7600G @ 3.16GHz, 4GB PC6400, Crucial M4 512GB SSD, ATI X1400

Detroit Diesel 5.2L 6V53T with N70 injectors: 1650LBs of American Muscle (330HP @ 2650rpm, 775lb/ft @ 1600rpm) - waiting on a 51 Hudson
    1979 GMC 7000 Motorhome:
    170hp 4-53T Detroit Diesel, Spicer CM50 5250-C transmission, Eaton 2 speed rear 5.57/7.60

Licensed Mechanic for: Detroit Diesel, Deutz, General Motors, Wisconsin, Continental, Generac, Briggs and Stratton, Tecumseh, and Kohler engines.

I opened up the laptop and cleaned out the fan using compressed CO2. The noise is still present. In fact, when I spun the fan slowly while it was open, it almost sounded like it was rubbing against something or dirty, even though I took a lot of time to make sure it was obstruction free.

I wonder if running the computer with the fan on a high setting for an extended period of time will correct the problem?

Hi,
    I am having the same problem as described by Nishu ...was trying to open the laptop to check the fan but it looks like I may need the manual. The link provided earlier does not work. Can anyone please help me get the manual (if you have a copy saved) or suggest a solution for this problem?
    Thanks for your time,
    R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast