Quantcast Two finger scrolling on a PC touchpad?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Two finger scrolling on a PC touchpad?

I've been using my girlfriend's Macbook for the last few months and really like the two finger scrolling option, it seems to work so much more reliably than the scrolling feature on my PC laptops that have you run your finger alongte edge of the trackpad. Is there a 3rd party driver somewhere that can give that support to my new Windows PC? It is a P1 SXS37 (which is based off an Asus barebones) and I've seen reports of people getting this to work on Asus machines with Linux.

The Assassin

Default Re: Two finger scrolling on a PC touchpad?

No, that design is trademark of Apple, I don't think there would be any 3rd party driver that can do it.
    Thinkpad R50
    Thinkpad T42
    Thinkpad T61
    Thinkpad W510
    WOODEN HP 8710w with 20-Cell battery
    HP Pavilion Dv7.
    Asus K53E

International CES 2010 coverage

Notebook Deity

What about in the synaptics control panel? You can customize a lot of stuff in there.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by notyou View Post
    What about in the synaptics control panel? You can customize a lot of stuff in there.
    Unfortunately this is not one of the options in the standard driver.

As I said apparently some people have got this working using Linux on Asus hardware, so the hardware should support it.

I was pretty dismissive when Apple launched the two finger scrolling thing. I remember thinking how my laptop from back in 1995 could do this, and 10 years later Apple finally released a laptop with scrolling and they wanted to be considered innovators?

...but after using it for a few months I have to say it does work better than any PC solution I've used (and it works well in both OS X and XP). The edge scrolling just has never been that reliable for me. IT only seems to work on about 50% of the pages I want.

Notebook Consultant

So I haven't completely given up on this, and I was looking through the registry today and I found a bunch of entries for 2FingerGestures and 3FingerGestures. I don't really want to go mucking about in the registry changing settings since I don't have any idea what I'm doing, but I'd imagine that changing some of the values here might get us somewhere?

If you have a Synaptics touchpad and are interested search the registry for "2finger"

Dylan

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
    So I haven't completely given up on this, and I was looking through the registry today and I found a bunch of entries for 2FingerGestures and 3FingerGestures. I don't really want to go mucking about in the registry changing settings since I don't have any idea what I'm doing, but I'd imagine that changing some of the values here might get us somewhere?

If you have a Synaptics touchpad and are interested search the registry for "2finger"

Dylan
    oh, it's TOTALLY doable. just ignore the above poster who said it wasn't. you can also look for finger_swipe, finger_flip, and finger_scroll, registry entries. you will need them each enabled (DWORD value) and set to 1.

download the touchpad driver from the apple site. you simply need to run it with the WINE (windows emulator). it will allow low level software/applications (like drivers) to run regardless of hardware and/or OS. you DO NOT WANT the linux version of WINE. you have to use the Windows version (duh!).

good luck.
    Last edited by NotebookYoozer; 2nd March 2008 at 10:41 AM.

Notebook Consultant

That's awesome.

Just to be clear though, are these two separate ways to get to the same thing?

In the registry I have a bunch of items with ab next to the name. All of these have REG_SZ under type. If I need to enable these how would I change the type to REG_DWORD?

Thanks again,
    Dylan

Notebook Guru

If you find out more dylanemcgregor, please share, this is something I have wanted to do as well!

Notebook Consultant

I would love to see this working. Please keep us updated with any news on this topic.

Notebook Evangelist

Wow, that's interesting, I didn't know it was possible to do this on a PC touchpad. However, is WINE completely necessary? I mean if there are already registry codes for finger gestures then maybe simply setting them to true will do the job?

Please keep us posted!
    HP Envy 14-1050ca: Core i5 430M | 6GB RAM | 640GB HDD | Radeon 5650 OC'ed 545/850 | 1600x900 Radiance Display | Backlit Keyboard

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast