Quantcast overclocking an Asus laptop

Closed Thread
    Notebook Guru

Default overclocking an Asus laptop

is overclocking healthy for the computer? if it is, would it be healthy to regularly overclock the processor? (daily)

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: overclocking an Asus laptop

Quote Originally Posted by compman91 View Post
    is overclocking healthy for the computer? if it is, would it be healthy to regularly overclock the processor? (daily)
    This is a relative question.

Overclocking a processor means having the CPU run above the tested clock set by the manufacture. The result is more power consumption and heat output.

There are two ways a processor can be damaged by overlocking.

1. electron degradation.
    2. overheating.

These two side effect will increase as you increasing voltage feed to the processor to achieve higher clock. If you can keep them within a safe range. There won't be a significant downside of overclocking.

However, overclocking is not very practical in notebooks for two reasons:

1. heat from overclocking are not easily dissipated in a notebook.
    2. overclocking require more voltage which decrease the battery life dramastically.

In general, almost all CPUs can be safely overclocked to certain amount. It depends on VID down to particular CPU. C2D for example, is a great overclocker. Most Q6600 2.4Ghz step 0 desktop CPU can overclocked to 3.6Ghz without sacrifice reliability.

*I believe MSI is one of the very few if not only manufacture that has a notebook model with minimum overclockability.
    Sager NP8170 i7-2720QM | HD 6790M | 16GB | Intel 510 250GB SSD | 1.75TB HDD | B173HW01 v5
    LianLi PC-V354 mATX| i7 3.71Ghz | 24GB | GTX580 | 2+6TB RAID 5
    Apple iPad 2 64GB 3G | Waiting to be jailbroken
    Alienware m17x | QX9300 | 280m SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB RAID SOLD

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: overclocking an Asus laptop

Generally, it's not a good idea to overclock a laptop, especially if you have no idea what you're doing.

Remember that the warranty on laptops is for the entire thing, so voiding it in 1 area (processor by overclocking) will void the entire warranty.

Custom built desktops are a different story. I have my Core 2 constantly overclocked by 66%.
    Dell XPS m1330: T7500, 2 GB RAM, LED-Backlit Display, 160 GB 7200 RPM HDD, 8400m GS, Vista Ultimate