Quantcast Gigabyte P34G - Page 7

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 226 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Gigabyte P34G

Notebook Consultant

Default Gigabyte P34G

Quote Originally Posted by edge929 View Post
    Hmm, if true, that may have just killed it for me. 1080p is just to big (small?) for a 14" screen not to mention too taxing on the 760m at native res. 900p would have been the perfect sweet spot.
    True. 900p is good for 14". Not sure if it kills the deal for me though. My current machine has a 7850m and 1080p on 17" and gaming is OK. I just need something small now as my job changed. Sick of carrying it's fat butt around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Gigabyte P34G

Not that I care, but do you know..
    Quote Originally Posted by CampGareth View Post
    You have a couple of options with scaling, one is to get windows to run at 1920x1080 and ask programs to render themselves a bit bigger, most of the time that's fine but some programs ignore that request. The other option is to tell windows to run at 1600x900, which will make everything just a little bit blurred yes but on the other hand the resolutions you're dealing with are much bigger than 1366x768, like double the number of pixels so the effect should be less noticeable, it also helps that the screen is small.

Assuming here you're using a laptop and it's got a 15" display (yeah big guesses I know, but we've got practically no information about your setup to go on here), to simulate how sharp the new screen is at native resolution, measure the distance from your eyes to your display... now sit twice as far away, so if there's currently 25 inches between your eyeballs and the display, sit 50 inches away. That's roughly how sharp the 1080p monitor will appear (very very roughly, I'm waving a measuring tape and some maths around here in an attempt to work out a way to convince you)

The point I'm trying to get across here is don't be afraid, just get the 1080p display unless you really can't afford it (in which case save up some more). It really is pretty fantastic, and even if you want to run things at a lower resolution they'll look *far, far* better due to having a greater colour range, brightness, etc. etc. though things will be ever so slightly (not noticeably) more blurry.

Notebook Consultant

I appreciate the info. I has been a long time since I have looked into running a monitor at non-native resolutions. I guess it may not be as bad as I thought.

Still wish this thing would release already....

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I would still prefer to get a 900p display though. 1080p is uncomfortable for me on a 14-inch screen. Yes, you can run things at a lower resolution, and supposedly it doesn't look too bad, but what's the point of having a 1080p display if you're going to run it in 900p only anyway? Besides, I don't think scaled 900p will look any better than native 900p. The benefits of better brightness and color range will be ruined by blur.

Anyway...I really hope they don't cut the 900p option. BUT if the 999$ model has both GTX 760M and 1080p, I will not hold back

Notebook Geek

Well specs say FHD screen is AHVA LCD which is equivalent of IPS screen. That alone overweights 900p screen with regular LCD. I'm very interested now to see how that panel performs.

Notebook Enthusiast

A Gigabyte representative from Taiwan HQ confirmed to me that P34G will be coming with Full HD (no 900p version).

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by demon_xxi View Post
    Well specs say FHD screen is AHVA LCD which is equivalent of IPS screen. That alone overweights 900p screen with regular LCD. I'm very interested now to see how that panel performs.
    You can check the performance here:
    Test Alienware 14 Notebook - Notebookcheck.com Tests

It's surely the same AUO panel.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by skydesigner View Post
    You can check the performance here:
    Test Alienware 14 Notebook - Notebookcheck.com Tests

It's surely the same AUO panel.
    How do you know? if it's the only AHVA 14'' 1080p then it's probably the same as clevo w740su right?

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by cybernick01 View Post
    How do you know? if it's the only AHVA 14'' 1080p then it's probably the same as clevo w740su right?
    Well, of course I do not know for sure. It's just: I haven't seen any other FHD 14" screen besides this one. Did you?
    And yes, I think it is the same one which the Clevo w740su uses.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by skydesigner View Post
    Well, of course I do not know for sure. It's just: I haven't seen any other FHD 14" screen besides this one. Did you?
    And yes, I think it is the same one which the Clevo w740su uses.
    Well me neither, but I'm no expert at all. Besides, I think this is the second review that mentions the panel on a 14'' AHVA screen.

Page 7 of 226 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast