Quantcast Gateway NV7901u - Review/Discussion Thread 17.3/i5/1 GB Radeon 5650 - Page 15

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Gateway NV7901u - Review/Discussion Thread 17.3/i5/1 GB Radeon 5650

This is a REAL shot in the dark, but i notice some have v1.04 and some 1.05.

Can someone that has 1.04 report if they have the fan issue or not?

Just wondering if there are BIOS fan settings that are not viewable/changeable, and by some stretch of the imagination effecting the fan noise.

Lets just get any chance that could be a possibility eliminated.

I am running 1.05 and have NO fan noise issues.

ryd4fun, are you having any fan noise issues?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by coraltown View Post
    You need to make your own restore disks... a utility is included that is a 2 step process (you need writable DVD media).

1) creates a 3 DVD restore discs for the OS + apps + drivers

2) creates a 1 DVD restore disc for just apps + drivers

Cheers, -Greg- (liking his NV7901u so far)

For this.. is a Windows OS Activation key required? It shouldn't be should it?

Notebook Consultant

I have NO fan noise issues, maybe no fan in my NV, it not make noise never.

the nootbook is very cold, much more cold than other models like P-series or M-series.

BR

Actually Alex... I haven't really even heard my fan..... I hope I have one...LOL
    Everything about my NV7919u is great so far.... I love the keyboard, the display, the fast shut down... not sure about Windows7 though, I think I might still like XP better. The only issue and it's not really an issue because it actually still functions, is the "mute" Cap LED....???

Banned

maybe the BIOS has something to do with the non functioning mute LED? I know many BIOS control LED functions, especially on Dell XPS series. Again, its a shot in the dark, but you never know.

I was fishing around Gateway's support site for the nv, and could not find any BIOS updates or anything anywhere, so there doesn't appear to be a way for us to even test the theory.

Notebook Consultant

If you format your NV you need instal the driver for the mute led turn on.

It is in the drivers and programs DVD.

just it.

BR

Banned

ice2642,

I dont believe that is their problem. I believe they all said that all of their other lights are working, just not the mute button. Which actually when i think about that, its probably not a BIOS issue either, since all but one isnt working. Must just be a bad lead or LED all together.

The only thing that baffles me is that it is more than one person with this problem.

It's not a bad LED Alex because the Mute LED did light up at boot up along with all of the others kind of like your cars idiot lights all light up when you start your car.

Interestingly enough, now that I think about it, after I got my PC back from Gateway, they said they fixed it by replacing the LED control board and video board (which they didn't fix), all of the LEDs don't light up at boot up anymore...... the ones that are normally on just come on ......(wireless, numlock).

So, something did change after Gateway worked on it, just not the problem...!

Interesting........?

Notebook Consultant

A some time I install vista here to run tests on a game that I am making, www.gsv8.com , and not install all drivers because I plan format again to put win 7 after the tests.

the mute led not work, and the other 2 work (Sound + - )

Because this I believe it is just a driver problem.

BR

Banned

I'm sure many have seen this already, and i actually saw it a while back but forgot to mention it. Acer (who owns gateway now, which most of you know already) has an equivalent of the nv7901u for the same price (850 US). Just wanted to give anyone who might be interested but can't find the 7901 available.

Acer AS7740G-6364 on Newegg

Also, Sony has a new vaio that just came out available in matte white or black, for 880 on newegg also with identical specs except a 15.5" screen at 1366 x 768, and only a 320GB HD rather than the 500GB. But this would be ideal for anyone looking for a smaller version of the 7901u with the same power. Sony quality is usually outstanding in my experience. You would also not have to worry about taking a risk of receiving a lemon with a loud fan and/or squeaky hinges (and hopefully no other issues in the sony). I am not able to find pictures for this model anywhere yet, and had a hard time finding anything on the model on sony's website, but most newer sony's have a pretty attractive design IMO.

Sony VPCEB1LFX Black on Newegg
    Sony VPCEB1LFX White on Newegg