Quantcast Gateway FX 7811 hangs during game play - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Metalhead

Default Re: Gateway FX 7811 hangs during game play

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Dinomite View Post
    Well I bought a low end cooler from Frys but it obviously didn't solve my heat issue and it wasn't big enough to accomodate the laptop size either. Maybe that was my fault but now I'm going onto Newegg to buy an aluminum cooler. Anyone have a good recommendation for a cooler for this laptop?
    NZXT Cryo LX is what i stand by. You could also check out the Zalman NC-2000, but for me the cryo is worth the $$$ spent on it. On my toshiba x205, it lowered max temps only a couple degrees, but on my 6860, i regularly idle in the low to mid 20's, max cpu temp is 50C and that only happened once, max gpu temp is 68C.
    Desktop - i7 4770k@4.4ghz, Swiftech H220 water cooling, HAF-X , 16gb G.Skill Sniper 1600mhz, 256 gb SSD, 7950, win7 pro.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi i have the exact same laptop and what sounds to be the same problem.
    I have a NZXT laptop cooler, and am still having the issue. One thing that is slightly different in my case is that the screen will go black instead of just freezing.
    This seems to happen after extended play. sometimes it only takes 2 hours other times it just 5 for it to happen.
    It does not happen when it is not plugged in. i'm assuming it is built to not run as hot while not plugged in.
    I have read that in some laptops a graphics card can actually lose contact with the motherboard due to heat. do you think this could be the issue?
    just by feeling the bottom of the laptop after a few hours of play (with the cooler on) it feels very cool. the only warm part is the very left side where the inside fan (and i assume the GPU) is.
    I am going to monitor it tonight with hwmonitor and see if it goes about 95 C.

BTW i also sent it in to gateway for repairs, they kept it for 3 weeks sent it back with the repair notes saying "updated driver". great job eh, didn't work of course.

Notebook Guru

I know this problem too, but it only happens under Windows 7 (7057) and the beta graphic driver for it. Screen goes black after some time and the GPU fan is very hot (alternate hairdryer for my wife), thus I'm pretty much sure, it's the GPU in conjunction with this beta-driver (and less Windows 7), cause under Vista 64, same game/same settings), different driver, the GPU hardly reaches 70C (at least that what ntune tells me) and so far never blackscreened on me.
    Dumped Windows 7 for the moment
    Game is LOTRO on close to ultra high settings (1600x1024-windowed mode-dx9)

Notebook Enthusiast

ya don't say. I too am playing lotro, only i am playing in medium graphics with 1920x1200.
    I have vista 64 bit.
    I have tried the drivers from the Nvida site, as well as ones from LaptopVideo2Go.com
    didn't seem to affect anything.

while playing last night i was unable to record the temps using hwmonitor (need to get pro to record) =( but i did glance at it a few minutes before a crash and it was in the mid 90's. that is with the cooling pad on.

any ideas?

Notebook Guru

@brandocomando:
    I think, the 1920x1200 resolution is a bit hard on the GPU. Try the same settings on a lower resolution.
    As I said, I am still experimenting, as I just installed a Vertex (and totally clean Vista) for gaming.
    I am creeping closer and closer to total ultra high under dx9 (dx10 still seems to cause quite a number of issues with LOTRO as well as maybe with the GPU), though those performance eaters that kill frames and GPU I still keep in the midrange (AA at max 4, something blah blah only at "sharp", in the troubleshooting-option I capped the FPS at 60 - don't need more, only when he can get more, the GPU will be stressed more with no actual visual performance increase, thus cap it, etc.).
    My GPU did not go over 60C last night, 1 hour playing, including 21. Hall (that's due to Ntune, but I also felt hardly any warming up of the fan air).
    One thing would be to clean the fans (I am sure you did that already) or start experimenting in the game:
    Do a 1600x 1024, or around there resolution, and start testing. If you can go close to ultra high, go up with the resolution and if the GPU gets too hot change down the settings bit by bit.
    Which driver are you using?
    I have to check tonight, but I believe I had some issues with the drivers above 180, but finally settled with one of them that worked (and still does) pretty well.
    Also, though I assume you have allready done this, apply the tweaks to LOTRO (forcefullfakepage=false, etc.). There is a sticky thread in the US Forums under Technics - Video.

Regards

Notebook Enthusiast

Hey thanks alot, yea i've cleaned out my fans already.
    I'll try lowering my resolution, had my ui all set up perfectly for 1920x1200(windowed mode also btw) and it was great =) but if i can stop crashing i'd be worth it. I don't use dx10 either.
    Currently i am running the 177.92 Vista 64-bit drivers
    I'll have to try and find that sticky with the tweaks. see if that helps any.

Thanks again, i'll post an update as soon as i get a chance to test this all out.
    BTW GL with ur system as well
    Last edited by brandocomando; 23rd April 2009 at 02:20 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Well i lowered the res, did a few tweaks to the in game graphic options and it seemed to help alot. I played for probably 3 hours without a crash. The tempterature usually stayed in the mid 70's. i did crash twice after 3 hours, to my knowledge the GPU was not in the 90's at the time of crash unless it jumped up extremely fast.
    i used HWmonitor to watch the temperature and recorded it, but unfortunatly when the computer crashes it does not save the log, you have to manually stop the recording and save it.

The temperature seemed to raise quite a bit when i placed the laptop (on cooling stand) on the ground rather than on my lap or proped up the back of the cooler. it seemed neccesary for there to be more room underneath the cooler fans that the stand allows by itself.

with the laptop unplugged the GPU stayed consistantly at 58-59 degrees celcius.

any thoughts are appreciated
    Last edited by brandocomando; 24th April 2009 at 01:35 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Well I think I figured out the problem with the 7811, for me anyway since I started the topic a while back... The problem is the hard drives get too hot and then the laptop simply freezes as a result. My temps were wbout 135-140 degrees farenheit when it would occur. I had downloaded drivers and upgrades and all manner of software to remedy this problem. But then It finally hit me, since my hard drive was gettting too hot and i couldn't play games for a long period of time due to the heat, I would solve the problem by buying an external hard drive. No heat issues, lots of drive space, and all my games are installed on it. The problem no longer presents itself when even playing Crysis. Yeah it's more money but less trouble than sending back the laptop and dealing with the issue over and over.

Notebook Enthusiast

Huh, ya know i had thought it may be the hard driver over heating. That area of the laptop really has no air circulation, and not much of a heat sink around it. I'll look into getting a external one (i may need one down the road anyways).
    when you had this problem did your screen turn black? or did it just freeze?

thanks dinomite

quick question: i would have to uninstall the game from the current hard drive and reinstall it on the other correct? or would it be faster to make a duplicate folder on the external drive and run the launcher out of that folder?
    Last edited by brandocomando; 24th April 2009 at 09:33 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Dinomite View Post
    Well I think I figured out the problem with the 7811, for me anyway since I started the topic a while back... The problem is the hard drives get too hot and then the laptop simply freezes as a result. My temps were wbout 135-140 degrees farenheit when it would occur. I had downloaded drivers and upgrades and all manner of software to remedy this problem. But then It finally hit me, since my hard drive was gettting too hot and i couldn't play games for a long period of time due to the heat, I would solve the problem by buying an external hard drive. No heat issues, lots of drive space, and all my games are installed on it. The problem no longer presents itself when even playing Crysis. Yeah it's more money but less trouble than sending back the laptop and dealing with the issue over and over.
    Jesus Christ...Haven't been on here for a while. I've had this problem for a while. What I get is a black screen sound loop. After rebooting and checking hw monitor hard drives were at 48c and that's at idle. Gpu temps below 70c Cpu temps below 50c. Gonna open the HDD bay and see if it happens.
    Gateway P6860fx
    -17inch WXGA+
    -T9300
    -8800m gts
    -4gb ram

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast