Quantcast AC adapter disassembly

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default AC adapter disassembly

Hello. I'm looking for instruction how to disassemble the AC adaptor for my P-7811 FX and not to spoil it too much, maybe even not at all. It is ADP 120ZB. I'd like to add on\off switch, so I won't have to plug the cable off. It's not a problem for me to add it, I just don't want to spoil it while trying to disassemble it myself. Thanks very much for any tips.

Banned

Default Re: AC adapter disassembly

I wouldn't recommend it, you could end up damaging your computer.

Notebook Enthusiast

As I said, it's not a problem for me. I have some knowledge of electronics, my father repairs this kinda stuff, so it's highly unlikely that I could damage my laptop. All I need is a how-to for disassembly, the rest will be easy

Banned

I remember when I bought my p7811fx they said that if my power adapter broke then it would cost over $200 for a new one.

I'm not sure if this would work but I know there are some kinds of switches that you can put on the cord itself that turn on and off if you could find one.
    I don't recommend your method but it's your and you can do what you choose

Notebook Enthusiast

This might work, but switch on the case of adapter looks much better than switch on the cord. There are no screws, so it has to have some plastic hooks, but where are they and how to open the case without spoiling plastic or breaking them.

BANNED

Hmm.. That's kinda, out there a bit. I've never heard of such a thing. Why would you not just disconnect it from the rear of your computer?
    or, unplug it at the adapter? As opposed to tearing apart a sealed power supply..it may be much easier to just add an in-line switch to the power cable itself. One that you can securely attach the wires to an internal housing. And, then you don't gotta worry about fires, sparks, and ruining your rig cause you happen to throw off the circuitry's resistance.. Just an idea.
    Click Here And Help NBR Design a Logo!
    Team NBR-NarcissisticBenchRunners - Narcissism at it's greatest!
    3dMark06 RECORDS @ Default - QX9300 Ex-World Record 16,626 Orb-Verified - No rig to bench with currently - this person is borrowing my record!
    Current x9100 World Record Holder - 15,849 Orb-Verified

Notebook Evangelist

I haven't opened up one of these power supplies, but I have done some work on small power supplies for underwater lighting applications. My advice is to leave it alone. If you really want to mess about with it, buy a refurbished Targas 180W universal laptop adapter for $35 and mess with that. Then when you realise you've screwed up, you're only out $35 and shipping. You ever wonder why a 120v house switch is that big? Why would you want to put one on a brick . Seriously, a power cord switch rated for 150w is a much safer option. If you can find a black one, no one will know its an add-on.
    -fizzie
    P-7811FX / IBM Thinkpad R40 / Lenovo Thinkpad T61p
    My first "laptop" was an IBM "Clamshell" (5140 Convertable)

Banned

Or if you can plug your ac into a wall outlet that is wall switch so you can just flip it on and off-Just and idea

Notebook Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I'm from Poland. In here, we don't have switches built in wall sockets. It seems that my only option is on-cord switch.

Quote Originally Posted by fiziks View Post
    You ever wonder why a 120v house switch is that big? Why would you want to put one on a brick .
    Don't worry, small on/off switches can handle up to 10 Amps for 230V (voltage in Poland), bigger ones up to 16 Amps. After disassembly I could have only one problem, with placing the switch so it would fit and not to make short circuit with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by E-wrecked View Post
    Why would you not just disconnect it from the rear of your computer?
    Not a good idea. Even when disconected from laptop, it consumes about 25 Watts of energy, I measured it.
    Last edited by kiziu; 9th November 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by kiziu View Post
    Not a good idea. Even when disconected from laptop, it consumes about 25 Watts of energy, I measured it.
    You sure? If true, then thats GREAT information.. Ill make sure to pull the plug on the adapter when not using the laptop - before I thought that it wasnt using power when disconnected from the laptop (except for the small green light in the adapter).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast