Quantcast Gateway ML3108b - Get Your Windows XP Drivers Here!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Gateway ML3108b - Get Your Windows XP Drivers Here!

As anyone that's bought one of these will know, it comes shipped with Windows Vista Home Basic. Thats lovely, everyone's jumped on the Vista bandwagon, and Microsoft are pleased as punch, raking in the dough! Unfortunately for the home user, Vista runs like a three legged dog after half an hour on a roundabout unless you've got a state of the art PC worth thousands of pounds!

I took it upon myself to rectify the situation (and oh do i wish i hadn't... its been hell) and install XP Pro. The initial install runs fine! ... and then you realise that NONE of the internal devices work! After slogging it out for days on end (well, three, kinda. more like 2 and a half? Some might call that slow, but seriously... AGH!) its all working!!! IT IS POSSIBLE! DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!

In a bid to save some poor sap the trouble that i've been through, I'm going to list the drivers etc i've used to get this ... BEAST running on XP!

PLEASE NOTE! After a clean XP installation, you're left with no network connectivity at all. Thankfully, I have a USB WiFi dongle to hand for just such an occasion. If you're not so lucky, you'll want to download these somewhere else fist

1) Motherboard/Chipset - nVidia nForce 430
    ------------------------------------------
    Not the integrated graphics option though! Whilst you would think that'd work, alas, its not compatible with XP. The nForce 430 package contains the drivers for everything but the Graphics.
    http://www.nvidia.com/content/licens...xp_english.exe

:: Edit
    1.1) Ambiguous Coprocessor Device
    ----------------------------------
    Personally, I didnt bother with this device, but in the interests of making this as useful as possible, here's what the guys who've contributed to this thread (particularly tel-b) are suggesting:

After installing the chipset drivers above, right click the co-processor device in the device manager and select update drivers. In the wizard, specify the following folder to search for drivers:

C:/nvidia/nforcewinxp/11.09/mcp51/SMbus

If this folder doesnt exist, open my computer, right click on the C: drive and search for mcp51, this should reveal the location of the folder for you. Then just instruct the add new hardware wizard to install the coprocessor device therin and it should wrap things up nicely!
    ::End Edit

2) Graphics! - nVidia ForceWare
    -------------------------------
    The ML3108b's graphics are onboard, so the standard GeForce GO drivers wont work "Panama Jack" pointed me in the direction of these beauties.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DKG07N5S

3) WiFi - Realtek
    -----------------
    After i'd figured out who it was provided by, this wasnt too difficult to find!

ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/RTL8185..._1.00.0006.zip

4) Audio - First up, Microsoft UAA
    ----------------------------------
    There was one problem piece of hardware that just didnt make any sense, but the audio wasnt working, so this had to be it, right? Not directly. have to install the high definition audio bus driver first. Doesnt really matter where you find it, this one is from HP for example!

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...reg_R1002_USEN

5) Audio - SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    -----------------------------------------------
    This took forever to find. Heaven knows why.... So many versions, so many that installed and seemed to work, but no sound came out. Eventually found one on the Gateway site (of all places!) that worked...

::Edit
    Apparently the old link doesnt work any more... Based on driver versions etc, this link should be the same file as I used originally, but I dont have the laptop to test with (its my brothers, and apparently still running well!). Good luck!

http://support.gateway.com/support/d...&uid=196216183

I THINK that's the lot! if i've missed anything, I'm sure someone will come back at me and tell me so :P but, I figure this is a MUCH better starting point than I had!

Please let me know if this is of any help to anyone! It took long enough to write!!

Cheers!
    Broni

::Edit
    Having just reviewed the entire thread (and it seems we really have been having fun here!) I thought I'd list Tel-b's very hepful solution to the audio problems many of you are having up here in the first post. How's that for recognition of brilliance

If my drivers dont work, give this a shot... I've removed some of tel-b's broken links too...

Quote Originally Posted by tel-b
    Ok, folks.
    XP Audio driver installation for the 3108b. LAST TIME! hahaha.....

1: Download UAA HighDef Bus Driver listed above
    2: Install UAA driver you've just downloaded.
    3: Download XP Audio Driver (from the new link in Bronislaw's post) above
    4: Extract the audio driver to a folder on the desktop.
    5: Open the extracted folder, and open the subfolder 'WDM'.
    6: Replace the file '92XXM4-2.INI' with the file downloaded from here

http://www.mediafire.com/?ah9nen9u3ox

7: Go back into the main folder you extracted the driver to, and run SETUP.EXE
    8: Open a nice cold beer and celebrate the fact that your audio actually DOES work!
    or, you could try the audio driver package he's kindly put together which I believe includes the fix above...

http://members.driverguide.com/drive...iverid=1201501

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Bronislaw; 16th May 2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Added Audio Guide by tel-b

Default Re: Gateway ML3108b - Get Your Windows XP Drivers Here!

Dear Bronislaw
    I am erecting a small statue in your memory for posting these xp drivers for the gateway: just bought the machine, lovely deal, but as you say no racehorse with vista. and my key software turns out to be highly allergic to vista.
    Everything runs smoothly now under XP but I notice the coprocessor still says it has no driver - did you find the same thing or do you have ideas where I might find a driver for that?
    with thanks.....

Notebook Enthusiast

Thank goodness I'm not the only donkey who decided to install XP on one of these! I havent downloaded all of the installs yet, but I'm very grateful that you've posted the links I need.

Vista may have some marketing value for selling little laptops like this, but it's crazy to think that anyone who has purchased one would be happy with the utter lack of responsiveness! If I wanted to swim in treacle, I would, and that's EXACTLY what the experience of Vista on a 3108b is!

Thanks again for the links!
    T

Notebook Enthusiast

will linux go on a gateway and have all the drivers?

Notebook Enthusiast

I seriously doubt it, mr kite! But I'm sure if you trawl the linux forums and get enough info on the hardware that's inside the gateway, you should find something that will work. I don't envy your quest. Finding XP drivers for it is a nightmare.. Linux can only be harder..

I've installed all the XP drivers from the list above but there are still some of my devices not working.
    Coprocessor
    Modem Device on HighDefinition Audio Bus
    Unknown Device.

I have graphics and sound just now, and it STILL works a lot better than it did on Vista!

Tel

After all the hassle of installing XP, was the machine any faster?

I just bought an ML3108B, found it was running slower than my old 600MHz laptop, and was about to refit XP, but I'm now hesitating. I also found that the machine couldn't log on to my Wifi access point (another Vista feature, apparently), and that the Gateway online help doesn't support non-US users.
    Should I take it back to the shop, or persist with the XP install?

Notebook Enthusiast

hi jamesb. Yeh, my 3108b is going like a on prom night, now that I've put xp on it. My graphics and sound are 100%, wireless is 100% (but use driver only, not realtek app), and ethernet is 100%.

Still have a few drivers that I'm trying to resolve, but I'm sure everyone that's bought one of these will want xp on it so I expect drivers will soon be freely available.

Take it back to the shop or persist with xp? Well, if you install xp and DON'T delete the 'D:recovery' partition, there's nothing to stop you reverting to vista, hence being able to return it as sold.

Personally, I'm happy with how well it runs on xp and I'm going to keep it. If i were stuck with vista, I'd have had it back to Tesco long ago

I'm goin to stick with this thread until all my drivers are sorted (not that i really need an ac'97 modem anyway, i just hate unresolved hardware!), and I'll post whatever solutions i find.

As for gateway support, since they've shipped the 3108s with vista, i doubt if they will ever have any support for xp...

hope this helps
    T

Notebook Enthusiast

the 'coprocessor' device listing is actually the nVidia network enumerator. MANUALLY install the driver by going into the C:cabs folder and into the nforce430 cabs. (called something else) and browse down to the mcp51 folder for xp.

The modem device driver ( Agere systems HDA modem) can be found on Gateway support site. I downloaded the vista driver for the ml3109, installed it manually and it works perfectly.
    All my hardware devices are listed and working 100% in XP

(XP actually goes like snow off a roof on my 3108... would recommend it to any1 with the patience to install the drivers!)

Really useful thread, many thanks.

I've now put on XP and seems like a really good little laptop. The only problem I'm having is with the audio. Despite installing the drivers as listed above I still have no sound ('no soundcard installed' error when i try to play any sounds).
    There is an issue when I try to install the last Sigmatel driver from the gateway site. As it installs it comes up with a message saying " The system does not support the driver you are attempting to use ".

Could anyone offer any help/thoughts on this? Is there another driver I could try or does anyone know the make/brand of soundcardso that i can search myself? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by RichTea View Post
    Really useful thread, many thanks.

I've now put on XP and seems like a really good little laptop. The only problem I'm having is with the audio. Despite installing the drivers as listed above I still have no sound ('no soundcard installed' error when i try to play any sounds).
    There is an issue when I try to install the last Sigmatel driver from the gateway site. As it installs it comes up with a message saying " The system does not support the driver you are attempting to use ".

Could anyone offer any help/thoughts on this? Is there another driver I could try or does anyone know the make/brand of soundcardso that i can search myself? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich.
    Hi Rich

Is it possible that you havent installed microsoft uaa highdef bus first? (step 4 of original post)..

Both these drivers work perfectly in my 3108b.
    Without the microsoft highdef bus in place, the sound hardware wont be recognised.

Try uninstalling whatever drivers youve installed for sound and then install the highdef bus from the link in step 4.

The sound is reporting on mine as being 'SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec'.

Hope this helps.

T

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast