Quantcast Forget the recommended settings of Crysis. 2 gigs of ram has already hit it's peak.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Dark Knight

Default Forget the recommended settings of Crysis. 2 gigs of ram has already hit it's peak.

In my fully modded, super Oblivion, with all the crap, 1680x1050, tons of plants and trees, whats holding me back right now is... ram . I'm realizing it right now, I'm getting 20 fps because I only have 2 gigs of ram

The ol' signs of low ram is quite evident... As I play Oblivion, it gets slower. If I leave Oblivion early, programs run a bit slowly. If I come back to Oblivion, IT'S slower. If I play oblivion too long, I end up with a lovely fps of 9 and when I leave, programs hardly open and I gotta reset.

It's not a ram problem (as in, defective ram), everything else plays perfectly fine. Nothing else does this. It's Oblivion, and people who buy Crysis are going to quickly find out how wrong the general population is to think 2 gigs of ram is all you'll need.

2 gigs will still be fine for a little while, for business use, most programs, hell, medium/low settings for Crysis. But high settings, and anything after Crysis, and...
    Last edited by Zellio; 22nd November 2006 at 02:52 AM.

Alienware M5750
    Core 2 Duo T5600/2 Gigs Dual Channel Kingston DDR 2 5300 ram
    x1800 mobility/120 gig hdd/1440x900 screen
    Creative Fatality 1010 Mouse/Creative Itrigue L3800 Speakers
    Evercool Cooling Pad
    Vista Ultimate

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Forget the recommended settings of Crysis. 2 gigs of ram has already hit it's peak.

You don't have a dx10 gpu though...
    It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Forget the recommended settings of Crysis. 2 gigs of ram has already hit it's peak.

The introduction of Vista plus the new DX10 cards I fear are going to bring memory prices to obscene levels.

Linux geek con rat flail!

Sounds like a memory leak, not just a RAM limitation.

Either way, a single process under 32bit Windows is limited to 2GB of RAM max, so going with more than 3GB of RAM won't help anything except multitasking.
    HP Envy 15 | Win7x64 | i5-540M | Radeon 5830 1GB | 6GB DDR3-1066 | 256GB Crucial M225 SSD | Matte 15.6" 1920x1080
    Get your answers here!
    Answers: $5
    Good Answers: $10
    Correct Answers: $20
    Well-researched Answers complete with reference: time and materials
    Dumb looks are still free

Notebook Geek

Why not just check you task manager and see how much ram you are actually using?

Just because one game uses alot of ram doesn't mean every game is going to use a lot of ram. Oblivion is not Crysis.

Choice of video card and secondly, amount of onboard video card memory will determine what graphics settings you can run a game at. Running out of ram doesn't slowly drop your frame rates over time, it causes pauses and stutters due to hard drive access.
    Last edited by djspl; 22nd November 2006 at 09:40 PM.

The Dark Knight

Oh when it starts dropping to 9 fps it starts pausing and stuttering.

it takes two hours for it to do that.

After I play for 2-3 hours, pc has gotta reboot.

And Oblivion is not Crysis. I'm looking at Crysis right now, and shiver. If this is giving me trouble, what will Crysis do?

The big wigs are saying get 4 gigs of ram. I think it's time people stopped ignoring them...

Alienware M5750
    Evercool Cooling Pad
    Vista Ultimate

Notebook Geek

Who are the "big wigs".

Far Cry looks better than BF2, yet needs less ram. Looks aren't an indicator of system ram needs/usage.

AFK, raid time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zellio View Post
    Oh when it starts dropping to 9 fps it starts pausing and stuttering.

it takes two hours for it to do that.

After I play for 2-3 hours, pc has gotta reboot.
    Sounds like your GPU is overheating and underclocking itself. I can play Oblivion just fine on 1GB of ram for hours. Not that I want to anymore, but I used to.

Balthan | MacBook Air | Core i5 1.6GHz | 11.6" LED WXGA | 4GB | Intel 3000 | 128GB SSD | Mac OS X Lion
    Edelweiss | Motorola Atrix | Tegra 2 1GHz | 4.0" qHD | 1GB | 16GB | Android 2.3.4

The Dark Knight

I've ran heat tests... At most it goes up to 50-60c (I'm really guessing, I haven't seen it go up super high). I leave oblivion and it's still the same clocks.

It's definately a ram issue. No doubt about that.

Oh, and Vista will require lots more.

Everyone has to make their own choice though. If you want to say 2 gigs of ram is perfectly fine, be my guest. If you find out it isn't, well...
    Last edited by Zellio; 23rd November 2006 at 02:46 AM.

Alienware M5750
    Evercool Cooling Pad
    Vista Ultimate

Mom! Hot Pockets!

You know, I hear a lot of people always saying "Vista will require this much of RAM, blah, blah, blah..."

I ran Vista for nearly 6 months, including the terrible Beta 2, much better RC1, and the pretty stable RC2. I only have 1GB of RAM and I never had a problem. It was faster than XP in a lot of ways. The computer booted faster, programs opened faster, everything seemed faster, even though my memory usage did go up. Vista will technically run on 512MB, so if 2GB is not enough, then your standards are way too high. Of course my interest in Vista has diminished to practically 0 (I'm sticking with Linux as much as possible now), but still, it's not going to be the huge resource killer like everyone makes out. 1 gig is fine and 2 gigs is more than enough.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things."
    Dell Precision M90|2.16 T2600|2GB DDR2|256 MB Quadro FX 1500M
    Apple MacBook Air 2011 (11")|1.8GHz i7|4GB DDR3|256GB Samsung SSD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast