Quantcast NVidia GeForce 7300 vs Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default NVidia GeForce 7300 vs Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Is this NVidia thing worth it or not?

I'm seeing all these laptops where you can "upgrade" the integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 choice to an NVidia GeForce 7300 video card.

Ok, so NVidia will probably be "better" for 3D games. But what does it really mean:

- certain 3D games will not work at all? (I'm seeing games that "require" geforce - do games actually DEMAND a given manufacturers' video card - what about ATI for instance - you can't play that game with even a high end ATI? what the heck ?)

- opengl? much better 3d polygon rates?

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: NVidia GeForce 7300 vs Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Intel GMA 950 SUCKS. It just sucks. Period. It can't run games very well (or at all). Intel GMA 950 is about as powerful as a nVidia 2 series.

Here's some threads that might help you figure out what's better.
    Notebook Video Graphics Card Guide 2006
    Notebook Video Graphics Card Guide

Snitch?

Let's just say on a scale of 1 - 10, the Intel GMA 950 = 0. Then nVidia GeForce 7300 would probably be a 2.5. Now if you do the math correctly, the nVidia is infinitely times better.

Depending on the games you wish to play, the 7300 might just be your ticket. Older 3d games (warcraft 3, lets say) will run pretty good on the 7300. They would struggle a lot with the GMA 950. What computer are you looking at anyways? And what will you be using it for? Fill out this FAQ to help us get a better understanding of this.

Oooh and another thing, if you are looking at customizing a computer online, from lets say Dell, they sometimes charge more for a worse graphics card. Dell on the Inpsirion E1505 they charge 30 dollars more for a 256 mb 7300 versus a 256 mb X1400 (an ATI video card), though the X1400 is better. Always do your research on little things like that before purchasing!
    Last edited by csinth; 28th August 2006 at 03:32 PM.
    Dv6t? Nope, MBP 13

Notebook Deity

Lets put it like this. The GMA900/950 is a decent general use GPU. Its biggest advantages are low cost and lower power requirements. If you game at all, the GMA900/950 will simply not cut it. It may run some older games, but its not a gaming card.

The nVidia 7300 is capable of running most current games at playable settings. That being said, it cost more than the GMA900/950 and uses more power.

If you want to play currenty high-end or next generation games, the 7300 will probably not suffice.

So there you go. You choose. The GMA900/950 has its places, as does the 7300, as do the higher end cards. There is no better or worse. Just the best fit for you as user.
    Macbook Pro (Late 2011, 13-inch Aluminum) - 2.4ghz i5, 8gb, 240gb OCZ Agility 3 (SSD), Mountain Lion
    Macbook (Late 2008, 13-inch Aluminum) - 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb, 320gb HD, Mountain Lion
    Macbook (Late 2007, 13-inch White) - 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb, 320gb HD, Lion

Notebook Consultant

Thanks for the feedback. I get it: the Intel one probably just provides the cpu a way to efficiently place pixels onto the screen, but other than that, it isn't going to draw 3d polygons efficiently by its hardware, and it's probably just up to the cpu to do all the work.

One last thing: so the ati 1400 is supposedly better than the geforce 7300, both offered by Dell (right?). But I'm seeing games that state in the requirements that it needs a geforce-something-something. That is telling me that that particular game only runs on the NVidia brand of hardware, correct?

Isn't it a little rediculous that even highish end ATI cards, for which people shell out a good buck, would *still* not be good for certain particular games? And I right on this?

And what about the other way around? Can I go to the store and buy a box with a game in it that only runs on ATI hardware?

Is it the war of the graphics cards now?

AMD and Intel works together - programmers *have* to, and *do* cope with things by detecting the hardware that's used, and invoke the appropriate optimized subroutines.

Can't this be the same for the graphics card flavours?

peace... or not?

Notebook Consultant

I don't know quite where you heard this a1mint,but theres no such thing like a game can only run on Nvidia only.

NBR Lead Moderator

Here's more information on graphics cards:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=39568
    Lead Moderator for TechnologyGuide Communities
    Brighthand | NotebookReview | TabletPCReview
    hp EliteBook 8740w - 17" DreamColor 2, Win 7 Pro, Core i5-560M, 8GB RAM, ATI FirePro M7820, Intel 320 Series 120GB, Hitachi 5K1500, Intel 6300 WLAN

Notebook Enthusiast

I dont know what you're talking about but on my Fujitsu S6210 I was able to play WC3 JUST fine. No stutters at all.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by shivy
    I don't know quite where you heard this a1mint,but theres no such thing like a game can only run on Nvidia only.
    No? A quick looking for Command & Conquerer requirements led to:

http://www.cncden.com/renegade_sysreq.shtml
    "GE-Force 64MB Video Card"

http://www.gameblitz.com/generals.htm
    "Geforce 4 and at least 1.3GHz"

ps. is the "GeForce Go 7300" as good as a "Geforce 4 with 1.3GHz" ?
    Boy I'm out of date...

Phillip J. Fry

Anything is better than intergrated graphics. Unless you are going to use it for basic use such as word processing and maybe basic internet surfing then stay away from the intel card. Practically any card is better than the intel.

ucb9999

Sore wa subete yoi koto da. Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast