Quantcast Incoming: AMD 9970M - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 406
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Incoming: AMD 9970M

  1. #41
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Incoming: AMD 9970M

    To be blunt, I don't see much of a reason to get the 9970m from AMD either, regardless if it is a GCN II or not, because the issues with Enduro on that will still be a problem on Clevo machines, as they have been on the 7970m.
    As Jared showed, the only way to go with any AMD GPU is with Alienware, but with what Dell charges extra for it, it's just not worth it.

    The best advice, is to just completely steer clear of any AMD offering- 7970m or 9970m GPU in the near and distance future until Clevo offers an "OFF SWITCH" for Enduro.

    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

    Quote Originally Posted by ryzeki View Post
    680m was announced in june, not released. At least they did try to release it to some vendors in June. It was more widespread available in September. It felt like forever between 7970m and 680m because users could get a hold of the 7970m GPUs since april, to which point nvidia didn't even have proper news for a 680m except a weaker GPU announced.

    It all changed in June though

    And yeah there were some issues with clevo 7970m but the real issue was the whole Enduro fisco

  2. #42
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Incoming: AMD 9970M

    Quote Originally Posted by transphasic View Post
    To be blunt, I don't see much of a reason to get the 9970m from AMD either, regardless if it is a GCN II or not, because the issues with Enduro on that will still be a problem on Clevo machines, as they have been on the 7970m.
    As Jared showed, the only way to go with any AMD GPU is with Alienware, but with what Dell charges extra for it, it's just not worth it.

    The best advice, is to just completely steer clear of any AMD offering- 7970m or 9970m GPU in the near and distance future until Clevo offers an "OFF SWITCH" for Enduro.

    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    So you know enduro how works in conjunction with the 9970m, and how it's going to be a flop. teach me your ways...

    tbh, the 7970m isn't that bad now, though it did take them time to get their stuff together.

    But the thing is, im doubtful that amd will make the same mistake twice, there is no reasoning to why they would?
    heck, i woudln't doubt that they mainly focused on the hardware and drivers supporting the muxless design, rather the power the card can pump out(8970m).

  3. #43
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Incoming: AMD 9970M

    Amd likely to adopt new naming scheme for HD-9000 series. R9-XXXX

    Amd likely to adopt new naming scheme for HD-9000 series - R9-XXXX
    Mx17 R3 | Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM | Radeon™ HD 6970M 2GB | 8GB DDR3 | 750GB / 7200rpm

  4. #44
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,566
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Incoming: AMD 9970M

    Quote Originally Posted by transphasic View Post
    To be blunt, I don't see much of a reason to get the 9970m from AMD either, regardless if it is a GCN II or not, because the issues with Enduro on that will still be a problem on Clevo machines, as they have been on the 7970m.
    As Jared showed, the only way to go with any AMD GPU is with Alienware, but with what Dell charges extra for it, it's just not worth it.

    The best advice, is to just completely steer clear of any AMD offering- 7970m or 9970m GPU in the near and distance future until Clevo offers an "OFF SWITCH" for Enduro.

    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    If you read the post you have quoted more carefully, you will see the use of past tense. That problem exists no more. If you have the money to purchase nvidia's flagship AND think that your extra ~$200-300 is well spent, please go ahead with that upgrade. However, I would suggest you be more up to date before discrediting something (or some one).
    Alienware M17xR4 | Intel Core i7 3610QM | AMD 7970m | 12GB @1600 | Crucial M4 128GB + 500GB @7200rpm | Killer Wireless

  5. #45
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,432
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Incoming: AMD 9970M

    Quote Originally Posted by transphasic View Post
    To be blunt, I don't see much of a reason to get the 9970m from AMD either, regardless if it is a GCN II or not, because the issues with Enduro on that will still be a problem on Clevo machines, as they have been on the 7970m.
    As Jared showed, the only way to go with any AMD GPU is with Alienware, but with what Dell charges extra for it, it's just not worth it.

    The best advice, is to just completely steer clear of any AMD offering- 7970m or 9970m GPU in the near and distance future until Clevo offers an "OFF SWITCH" for Enduro.

    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    To be blunt, AMD offered a superior and cheaper product to any of nVidia's offerings a full 5 months before nVidia started really shipping their flagship on the market.
    That product was crippled in certain machines, due both to the fault of AMD for inferior driver products AND the manufacturers (Clevo) for their retarded design. People hoping for the best or buying with their lower brains suffered unless they were lucky to buy certain machines. Eventually the vast majority of those issues were solved. In fact, compared to the initial release of the 7970m, driver improvements over the following year increased overall performance of the cards for an average of over 20% at the same clocks.

    Sure, one can make the argument that "herpderp those drivers should have been done right from the start" but here's the rub: They really shouldn't have.

    That was the card, those were the drivers, that was the price, that was the offer. Any subsequent improvements have been a bonus over the product purchased. Sure, these improvements have been done for competitive reasons, but for the consumer, that is something good.

    And I'll be damned if I ever swallow the "nvidia drivers are superior" bull. I've used GeForce MX-440, GeForce FX5200, GeForce FX5600, the 6600 Ultra, the GTX-8800 Ultra, the GT-9800, the GT-220, the GTX-460, the GTX-285M, both solo and SLI, the GTX 460m, the GT-540m, the GTX-480m and the GTX-660m. The drivers always sucked. I've used 17 laptops out of which around 7 were nVidia-equipped. The drivers always sucked. A new driver would break what worked in previous drivers, and a new one would fix it sacrificing other stuff. I'd have to download specific and old beta drivers just to run one game. That would switch around with new games, new cards, new drivers and new machines. It was HELL.

    For me, the 7970m has been PURE MANA. Dirt cheap (cheaper than the 7870 desktop card second-hand in my country), extremely stable, very powerful, low power consumption, low heat, when compared to any other high-performance card I'd used before (285M, 4870m, 480m).

    I've also used 7970m across the following machines: MSI GX660R (in a rebranded version - no problems), Clevo P150EM (no problems), Alienware m17x-R2 (no problems for the card currently in the machine - waiting for a second card tomorrow).

    By this time tomorrow I will have paid a grand total of 550 EUR for a pair of 7970m's crossfired.
    Bring me a competitive offer from nVidia, I dare you.

    The real advice is to NEVER BUY A PRODUCT THAT IS KNOWN FAULTY IN CERTAIN CONFIGS. How hard can it be? Due diligence.

    I have no mercy for anyone not having done their due diligence and then whining and spouting bull.

    I also can invoke the mystical "nVidia cards are trash, nobody should buy them because I used a couple of cards and they died on me". In fact, I'm a fervent AMD supporter for exactly that reason, but even then, i know that no two cards are the same, no two generations are the same, no two machines are the same.

    Now, were I to upgrade to a more powerful solution (supposing by some miracle I could get two 780m's to SLI in the m17x-r2), I would effectively pay 1300 euro for a maximum of 30% performance upgrade, minus the price I'd be able to sell my cards at. So I'd probably have to shell around 700-800 eur for a 30% performance upgrade over my 550 EUR cards. Hahahahaha not gonna happen.

    Yes I mad.

    You do your own due diligence and then you buy. If Maxwell is all it's hyped up to be (and it might), and if it will sell at a reasonably competitive price (and it most likely won't) then I'll buy it (we'll see). No fanboy-ism about it. In fact any fanboy one way or the other is begging to get screwed over, because it's all about COMPETITION. If the two companies can compete, they'll improve, the customer will be happy. If one of them can't compete, they'll leave the market, and we'll be left with a monopoly of higher prices and lower performance.

    May the best company win... until next gen.
    Last edited by sangemaru; 23rd July 2013 at 09:41 AM.
    Lenovo ThinkPad X200 | Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.53GHz | 4GB DDR3 | Samsung PM830 256GB SSD | 8-hour battery

    Eurocom w230SS | i7-4700MQ @ 3.6GHz | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | Crucial m500 256GB SSD + Samsung M9T 2TB HDD | GTX-860M @ 1338/5710 | 6-hour battery | 3G Wireless | 3DMark11 P6230 | FireStrike 4558

    Mr. Fox's Alienware information thread.

    Sangemaru's Alienware m17x R2 7970m CrossfireX Ultimate Installation and Tweaking guide.

  6. #46
    C90 Deity
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Amagasaki Shi, Japan
    Posts
    3,906
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Re: Incoming: AMD 9970M

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick1989 View Post
    If you read the post you have quoted more carefully, you will see the use of past tense. That problem exists no more. If you have the money to purchase nvidia's flagship AND think that your extra ~$200-300 is well spent, please go ahead with that upgrade. However, I would suggest you be more up to date before discrediting something (or some one).
    My my first docrock with his crock of nonsense and now this guy!! ROFLMAO

    He can't read carefully because he is a troll!

    His post is laughable especially when he says "my advice is to steer clear of any future AMD card until they offer Clevo enduro off switch"

    Let me guess. He owned a 7970M clevo machine before the enduro hotfix, had no patience and moved on. Spent a whole new wad of cash on a new laptop/card and now wants to dish the dirt on AMD.

    One word: PATHETIC, amusing as you are for us, please move on. This thread is for 9970M speculation only.
    Alienware M15x | Intel i7 920XM @ 3.73ghz - 3.86ghz | 1080p | 8GB G-Skill | Samsung 470 256GB + 2TB HDD | AMD 7970M | External Bluray | Windows 7 | 210W PSU + 9 cell | Bigfoot 1103 | USB 3.0 |

  7. #47
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Incoming: AMD 9970M

    LOL.
    Enduro STILL is a current problem on Clevo machines. That's not an opinion. It's a fact, if you care to do your research before jumping to unwarranted conclusions as you have done here.
    If you care to look at recent tests done by Jared through Anandtech, you will see that Enduro still HAS (not had) issues with it on Clevo-based machines, but not with Alienware. Enduro still has NOT been fixed. The numbers and results speak for themselves and are glaring.
    Since Enduro is AMD's present and future, it won't be going away, and will also be present in their 9970m offering as well.
    To believe that it somehow won't be a problem in the near future with Clevo machines is just naive.
    AMD has tried to tweak or game here or there to "fix" the problem, but it hasn't worked. They need a global solution to the problem, instead of shooting for individual titles, and even then that hasn't worked as you can see from the test results.
    If you bother to look at the latest test results done using Alienware machines- one with Enduro on, and the other off, you can see a HUGE disparity between the two on quite a few games tested. On AMD's own titles, the FPS number differences were staggering- especially with Sleeping Dogs and Bioshock Infinite. At lower resolution testing, Sleeping Dogs was shown to be almost as much as 50 FPS faster with Enduro OFF as opposed to Enduro ON with the AW machine. GRID 2 was almost 35 FPS faster.
    That's huge and indicative right there.
    Some games were closer, but results speak for themselves as to still how much Enduro plays a negative role in limiting FPS scores in all games tested at lower resolutions under Enthusiast level. In all but one game tested, having Enduro OFF consistently was better in gaming than having Enduro ON.
    Same machines, but with in many cases, large and disparate results merely due to Enduro being on or off.

    If the AMD fanboy wants to continue to deal with them and their slow and lousy driver support, along with Enduro, then the only option that remains is to get a Laptop that comes from Alienware, and not Clevo.
    At present, without an off-switch built within the Clevo-based machine, Enduro is going to continue to be a problem- especially at lower resolutions. Until that happens- if ever, then the only other option for those of us with AMD GPU machines, is to ditch AMD in the future, and get Nvidia instead.
    Must less hassle that way, and far better overall gaming performance, faster and better driver support, and better battery life as well.

    __________________________________________________________________________________

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick1989 View Post
    If you read the post you have quoted more carefully, you will see the use of past tense. That problem exists no more. If you have the money to purchase nvidia's flagship AND think that your extra ~$200-300 is well spent, please go ahead with that upgrade. However, I would suggest you be more up to date before discrediting something (or some one).

  8. #48
    Notebook Consultant
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Incoming: AMD 9970M

    Nice try, but you are wrong once again AMD Fanboy.
    The only pathetic TROLL here is YOU.

    I own BOTH AMD and Nvidia machines, so I have a much better perspective on this than probably you do.
    Yes, this thread is about the 9970m, but since the topic was brought and broached in relation to Enduro, the topic is just as
    relevant and important to the buying decision of the 9970m as it is with the 7970m WHICH I CURRENTLY OWN, btw.
    Enduro STILL is a problem, whether you teenage AMD fanboys care to admit or not.
    The "hotfix" as you use so flippantly, did NOT solve the problem, if you had bothered to do your research into this issue, before
    you jumped to silly and unwarranted conclusions. It helped a little, but the problems with Enduro STILL remain today.
    Since you FAIL to have any kind of reading comprehension, I will make another suggestion for you- learn to read and do your research, if you can...


    Additionally, since this deals with Clevo-based machines, it IS an important topic, as it relates to the choice that people will have to make
    now if they want to continue to deal with AMD's long-term issues with poor and SLOW driver support AND now Enduro.
    The ONLY way around 1/2 the problem with AMD's issues, is to get an Alienware, wherein the Enduro problems can be taken care of.

    Even if the 9970m is that much faster than the 7970m, it STILL is going to have the same problematic issues in 2014 as the 7970m has had for close to 18 months now, not to mention poor driver support.

    __________________________________________________________________________________

    Quote Originally Posted by King of Interns View Post
    My my first docrock with his crock of nonsense and now this guy!! ROFLMAO

    He can't read carefully because he is a troll!

    His post is laughable especially when he says "my advice is to steer clear of any future AMD card until they offer Clevo enduro off switch"

    Let me guess. He owned a 7970M clevo machine before the enduro hotfix, had no patience and moved on. Spent a whole new wad of cash on a new laptop/card and now wants to dish the dirt on AMD.

    One word: PATHETIC, amusing as you are for us, please move on. This thread is for 9970M speculation only.

  9. #49
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,566
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Incoming: AMD 9970M

    Quote Originally Posted by transphasic View Post
    LOL.
    Enduro STILL is a current problem on Clevo machines. That's not an opinion. It's a fact, if you care to do your research before jumping to unwarranted conclusions as you have done here.
    If you care to look at recent tests done by Jared through Anandtech, you will see that Enduro still HAS (not had) issues with it on Clevo-based machines, but not with Alienware. Enduro still has NOT been fixed. The numbers and results speak for themselves and are glaring.
    Since Enduro is AMD's present and future, it won't be going away, and will also be present in their 9970m offering as well.
    To believe that it somehow won't be a problem in the near future with Clevo machines is just naive.
    AMD has tried to tweak or game here or there to "fix" the problem, but it hasn't worked. They need a global solution to the problem, instead of shooting for individual titles, and even then that hasn't worked as you can see from the test results.
    If you bother to look at the latest test results done using Alienware machines- one with Enduro on, and the other off, you can see a HUGE disparity between the two on quite a few games tested. On AMD's own titles, the FPS number differences were staggering- especially with Sleeping Dogs and Bioshock Infinite. At lower resolution testing, Sleeping Dogs was shown to be almost as much as 50 FPS faster with Enduro OFF as opposed to Enduro ON with the AW machine. GRID 2 was almost 35 FPS faster.
    That's huge and indicative right there.
    Some games were closer, but results speak for themselves as to still how much Enduro plays a negative role in limiting FPS scores in all games tested at lower resolutions under Enthusiast level. In all but one game tested, having Enduro OFF consistently was better in gaming than having Enduro ON.
    Same machines, but with in many cases, large and disparate results merely due to Enduro being on or off.

    If the AMD fanboy wants to continue to deal with them and their slow and lousy driver support, along with Enduro, then the only option that remains is to get a Laptop that comes from Alienware, and not Clevo.
    At present, without an off-switch built within the Clevo-based machine, Enduro is going to continue to be a problem- especially at lower resolutions. Until that happens- if ever, then the only other option for those of us with AMD GPU machines, is to ditch AMD in the future, and get Nvidia instead.
    Must less hassle that way, and far better overall gaming performance, faster and better driver support, and better battery life as well.

    __________________________________________________________________________________
    All this junk and yet you do not link the actual thread. "Jared Anandtech Enduro" on Google came up with nothing. I read two Enduro reviews on Anandtech post fix and they both suggested that Enduro had made massive improvements and the Clevo machines worked just fine. If you have "advice" you can go to the WNBSIB sub section and advice against AMD GPUs wherever you can. No one cares about your advice here and you aren't going to make your case if you are going to come back with a huge dump of lame TLDR posts. You aren't important enough for people to read two 200+ word posts and then comment. You want to know how to make a good point? Post credible articles.
    Alienware M17xR4 | Intel Core i7 3610QM | AMD 7970m | 12GB @1600 | Crucial M4 128GB + 500GB @7200rpm | Killer Wireless

  10. #50
    (Really odd person)
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,110
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: Incoming: AMD 9970M

    I don`t want to be a part of this discussion since there seems to a pretty bad vibe here.

    The fact is that Enduro have actually mostly been fixed by all the driver optimzations AMD brought out. The only problem that remains is fixing DX9 games, but everything else is working great.

    As for Enduro, Anandtech just recently tested Alienware M17x R4 with 7970M and tested with Enduro and without Enduro. Out of 7 games, Enduro gave 5% less FPS than running without. I`m sure Optimus is no better than that.


    And to just answer future questions: No that 780M score is not real. It is from their GT70 review where they had huge CPU throttling due to a bad paste job.

 

 
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1