Quantcast Unexplainable Lag Spikes in EVERY Game

Closed Thread
    X2P
    I♥COOLING | NBR Super Mod

Default Unexplainable Lag Spikes in EVERY Game

Well a couple months back I began having lag spikes, this all began when I installed the latest drivers from Nvidia. Therefore I went ahead did a clean install since I may as well have and installed Nvidia drivers ver. 260.89. They had worked well for me in the past so I went back to them after the clean install.

Now every 30 seconds or so I still get lag spikes that last for approximately 5-10 seconds.

Network has been reset and tested ping/in/out etc in MP games are perfect.

System is perfect and not reporting ANY spikes in usage during game or overheating. Heck FPS in 60% of the games are normal, one game which does see a drop is TF2 which ranges from 60 to 30 FPS but appears more like 5FPS at times.

System Specs

Clevo M860TU

Intel P8700 C2D
    Nvidia GTX 260M
    6GB DDR3 Memory
    Resolution (1920 x 1200 but gaming on 1680 x 1050 (external monitor))

Temperatures are high but still well below the point where things should clock down. (fans cleaned/notebook cooler)

Windows updated, ccleaner run, etc. AV of choice; ESET NOD32

Any help would be greatly appreciated this is really puzzling me to the point where I am considering reinstalling windows again but I really dont think it would be that effective as this appears to be a persistent problem.
    NotebookReview.com | Super Moderator
    PCGamingCorner.com | Partner Site

Notebook-Cooling.com | Editor in Chief
    GadgetSurge.com | Editor in Chief

Latest Review: | Razer Onza Tournament Edition
    Latest Article: | Latest Gadget News

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Unexplainable Lag Spikes in EVERY Game

Had ( Have sometimes still) the problem with my HD5650M. It has been the chipset driverfrom intel wich was outdated. The NB form my friend ( same notebook as yours) has also the same problem.
    It occurs because the distance between FPS refreshes ( on your screen) is too short. Fraps mesures 40 FPS ( should be fluent) but in reality you see 20 FPS. It might be also that the FPS and the xx-HZ from your screen differs so strong that the display is only able to show 5 FPS sometimes.
    I never connected my NB again to my FHD television because horrible lags did occur and i had to re-install ATi Driver.
    TOSHIBA L650-1MT PSK1JE
    Intel i3 380M @ 2,53Ghz; 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM; ATi HD5650M 1GB GDDR3 @ HD5730M clocks (650/930) 0,95V; Samsung 64GB SSD;

A. Scriabin

Quote Originally Posted by alxlbf2 View Post
    Had ( Have sometimes still) the problem with my HD5650M. It has been the chipset driverfrom intel wich was outdated. The NB form my friend ( same notebook as yours) has also the same problem.
    It occurs because the distance between FPS refreshes ( on your screen) is too short. Fraps mesures 40 FPS ( should be fluent) but in reality you see 20 FPS. It might be also that the FPS and the xx-HZ from your screen differs so strong that the display is only able to show 5 FPS sometimes.
    I never connected my NB again to my FHD television because horrible lags did occur and i had to re-install ATi Driver.
    Really? Interesting... My 5730, as it's a 5650 OC'd, has the same problems ( my ASUS N61Jq is RMA'd, and I mentioned FPS stuttering and huge lag in the RMA notice, hoping to get fixed ). So, a chipset update will fix it?
    For Sale Samsung 700G7C-S01 - i7 3610QM | GTX675M 2GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | 1.5TB 2x HDD RAID 0 | 17.3" 120Hz 1080p SuperBright™ Plus display

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - XXDME6 / CM10.1 | TWRP 2.5

Sony VAIO Pro 13 - Intel i5-4200U | 4GB RAM | 128GB SSD PCIe | 13.3" 1080p Triluminous | Windows 8.1 64-bit

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by alxlbf2 View Post
    It might be also that the FPS and the xx-HZ from your screen differs so strong that the display is only able to show 5 FPS sometimes.
    Impossible.

What is possible is that you have DPC latency issues, most likely caused by the nVidia driver (albeit it could be another one). Download this piece of software: Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: DPC, ISR and pagefault execution monitor (click the download button and scroll down, you'll find it), install, press the green play button, and see if you get any spikes. If you don't get them while the computer is idle then leave it running and play a game.

The software will point out the duration of the spikes and also what driver is causing them.
    DV5-1120eh: Athlon X2 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, HD3470 512MB, 160GB, Atheros wifi, BT, IDT HD Audio, 15.4" WXGA, 8-cell, blah blah. Windows 7 Ult x64
    DV9000 (9750ed): Turion X2 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 8400GS 256MB OC, 250GB, Broadcom wifi, BT, Conexant HD Audio, 17" WSXGA, 12-cell. Windows 7 Ult x64 ...and it was $300!!!
    Remap your QuickPlay buttons!

X2P

@alxlbf2 The chipset drivers I am using were downloaded under 2 months ago from Intel

@Th3_uN1Qu3

Ive been gaming for a couple hours on and off watching the program and there were no spikes whatsoever. I guess I'm back to square one?
    Last edited by X2P; 26th June 2011 at 09:00 AM.

Bog
    Losing it...

Have you tried disabling graphical effects just to see whether the lag spikes are independent of these settings?
    "Earth" Desktop | Asus 21.5" 1920x1080 | C2D E6750 @ 3.0GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB + 1TB HD | Radeon 6850 | Corsair TX650 | Windows 7 64-bit

"Mercury" uMBP | 13" LED | C2D P8400 @ 2.4GHz | 6GB RAM | 500GB HD | Mac OS X 10.7

X2P

Quote Originally Posted by Bog View Post
    Have you tried disabling graphical effects just to see whether the lag spikes are independent of these settings?
    Could you clarify "Graphical effects" please.

If you mean in the OS I have turned Aero off just in case it was a quirky bug with Aero but no dice.

If you mean in games I have tried turning everything "special" off (AA, AF, Bloom etc) and lowering texture settings and other settings.

Bog
    Losing it...

You could try running an affected game in windowed mode alongside Task Manager and watching for any processes causing the spike...
    "Earth" Desktop | Asus 21.5" 1920x1080 | C2D E6750 @ 3.0GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB + 1TB HD | Radeon 6850 | Corsair TX650 | Windows 7 64-bit

"Mercury" uMBP | 13" LED | C2D P8400 @ 2.4GHz | 6GB RAM | 500GB HD | Mac OS X 10.7

NBR Reviewer

Can you verify this issue is only with online games?
    m6600 2720qm m8900 16gb ddr3 crucial m4 512gb