Quantcast What games can be played on a PC with just integrated graphics?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default What games can be played on a PC with just integrated graphics?

Just curious:

What games can be played with integrated graphics?
    Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 1067FSB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, nVidia 9400M + 9600M GT, 512MB DDR3

2009 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: What games can be played on a PC with just integrated graphics?

That depends a lot on what kind of IGP is in your computer. I can only speak from my experience with my Intel GMA 900 on a 915GMS with 128MB shared memory in my Sony Vaio S54B. Here is what I currently have on my machine:

Civilization IV
    Fahrenheit: The Indigo Prophecy
    Half Life 2
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
    The Godfather
    Thief III

All of them are prefectly playable at medium to high settings, except Oblivion. Civ IV, PoP, Godfather, Fahrenheit and KOTOR can all run at high settings without a problem. I get about 30fps at low settings with HL2. Thief III runs great at medium settings. I installed Oblivion just for fun, to see if I could get it working. I was able to by editing the ini and using 3D Analyze, and I get around 24 fps in inside locations but it drops to around 13 when I am outside or there's a lot going on. Most gamers would say that it's not playable at that level, and I would probably agree. It seems like an awesome game, but I'm not losing any sleep over not being able to play it perfectly. I don't have that much time to spend on a game like that anyway.

Despite what all of the graphics card enthusiasts out there will tell you, modern IGPs are just fine to run about 90% of all games, and lots of modern games will run just fine too. No, you're not going to run F.E.A.R at 90fps with all the settings maxed out, but then again I highly doubt anybody can acutally see 90fps and if you wanted to run a game with all of the goodies on you would have gotten a dedicated graphics card.

One thing that annoys me is I think too many times hardcore gamers tend to treat those of us who own computers with IGPs as computer illiterate. There are lots of people who know something about computers and choose for an IGP over a dedicated solution. I think many times they get a lot of flack on forums.

Anyway, you can play lots of stuff with integrated graphics. If you are a light to moderate gamer and don't care about playing every new game that comes out at the highest possible settings, I think IGPs are just fine.
    Last edited by Arcanum84; 24th April 2006 at 02:15 AM.

Notebook Virtuoso

The Intel 915 is a chipset, not a GPU.
    Dell XPS M1210 : T5600 | 120GB 5400 | 1GB PC-533 | nVidia GO 7400 [Motherboard Fried]
    Dell E1705 : T5600 | 80GB 5400 | 1GB PC-667 | nVidia GeForce 7900GS [GPU Parity Errors]

Notebook Consultant

Yeah, you're right, I should have read what I wrote. I have the GMA 900.
    Last edited by Arcanum84; 24th April 2006 at 02:14 AM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Whaaaat!? Oblivion runs on a GMA 900? Not sure I beleive that.
    DV6000T:
    Core Sole T1350, 1gb DDR2, 80gb HDD, GeForce 7400

Notebook Consultant

Flight Simulator 2004 runs with medium graphics on the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M with 1GB system RAM and a 2 GHz processor.

Notebook Consultant

My experience with the Intel GMA900 was that it absolutely sucks for playing modern games. That's one of the reasons my laptop is on ebay right now. I thought it was decent until I got a 9600XT for my desktop. The 9600XT is outdated, but is still like 5x faster than the GMA900. That may sound like more power than you need, but modern games can really test it. My GMA900 scored 946 in 3DMark03 while my 9600XT scored well over 4000 with two year old drivers.

I played all of HL2 with the GMA900 though. While probably over half the game was playable at lowest settings, there were plenty of parts that were tough to get through because of choppy framerates.

If you're gonna do any gaming on integrated graphics, the ATI Xpress 200m is easily the best option.
    Last edited by DMB14; 24th April 2006 at 04:14 PM.
    Dell I6000

Notebook Retailer

Running Oblivion on a integrated GMA 900? That is a good joke...

Man, I have problems running Oblivion at 1280*800 with my X700 overclocked!

Charlie-Peru

Notebook Deity

Arcanum84

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about how Godfather played. I have the Intel 950 with a dual core computer for work. It would be nice to break up the monotony of working all the time.
    Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 1067FSB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, nVidia 9400M + 9600M GT, 512MB DDR3

2009 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment

Notebook Geek

I can't see why Arcanum84 would lie, and decieve someone. It may run on his laptop, I know it's hard to believe but a game might work on one system, but be pants on another, even if they have the same graphics card. it's how well the integrated card will work with his current spec. I believe it. i'd like to see it running though. I'll be testing a few games on mine shortly, and will be making a brief review on the forum just for people who wonder.
    Dell XPS 15 L502x | 2ND GEN Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM | NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M | 8GB RAM | 1TB | 9 CELL

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast