Quantcast ViDock 2 (ATI 5670): is it worth the money?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default ViDock 2 (ATI 5670): is it worth the money?

I'm trying to help a friend decide whether to buy this for his laptop to make it gaming capable, or to just save some extra money and either get a new laptop or build a desktop.
    From what I understand of this external, it will only support certain video cards, which is why it comes with the 5670.
    His ultimate goal is world domination, but to achieve this he needs a rig that plays Starcraft 2 with ease. I have an opinion on this, but I want to know what you think, so weigh in with whatever is on your mind.
    Thanks

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: ViDock 2 (ATI 5670): is it worth the money?

Something like the MSI GX640 would probably be a better call in the long run.
    M15x
    940XM 80TDP 22-24-28-28 | 6970M 710/900 1.0v
    16GB DDR3 | Travelstar 7K1000 | 3x Asus PA238Q

NBR Super Moderator

If your buddy wants to only be able to game at a desk, plugged in, and only on an external monitor sure go ahead with the ViDock.

That's a lot of trouble if you ask me.
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

Banned

A US$300 GTX460-768MB DIY VIDock will give your friend a lot more bang-per-buck than a HD5670 ViDock 2. The DIY ViDock thread has discovered ATI cards use only 70-80% of the x1 1.0 bandwidth. Fermi NVidia GTX4xx cards use full x1 1.0 bandwidth and are overall faster in games than ATI cards.

Notebook Evangelist

I think this is a good idea for a product, but there are a lot of limitations. You can't upgrade it very much. You have to have external monitors. If you want to take it somewhere, you have to take your monitors with you. These negatives really drag it down in my opinion. Maybe office users who need the GPU boost but don't want a desktop can utilize the potential of it, but a serious gamer probably wouldn't benefit as much from the features.

Notebook Evangelist

sorta agree on that for home users. But im a gamer play alot from mmorpgs to fps.
    and im thinking about doing the diy vidock but gonna do the image thing to use the lcd on the laptop instead of buying one only reason because i would like to place my laptop to take to class. while i have it home to just grind my brains out or just destroy noobs in fps games!

Notebook Evangelist

Starcraft 2? You really don't need a powerful GPU for that if you're running basic settings. In fact, it runs flawlessly on integrated X4500MHD graphics.

How hardcore a gamer is he? Was he one of the beta testers?
    HP 2730P: Samsung LTN121W4-L01 S-PVA display
    IBM Thinkpad X40: 16 GB Transcend 133x CF
    Dell Inspiron Mini 910: 8 GB STEC SSD, Ramdisk Cache, Windows XP SP3
    iPod Touch 2G: Jailbroken, Lossless -> LOD -> balanced armature / dynamic / electrostatic / orthodynamic

Notebook Evangelist

He beta tested on integrated graphics and went to the midnight opening tonight to get it, so very hardcore. He just wants it to look better because integrated graphics can't do the game justice in graphics quality.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by micman View Post
    He beta tested on integrated graphics and went to the midnight opening tonight to get it, so very hardcore. He just wants it to look better because integrated graphics can't do the game justice in graphics quality.
    he has to be because u either have to be very hardcore integrated graphics fan to play on lowest settings... and very stupid as all the gamers would laugh at him.. i would.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by sean473 View Post
    he has to be because u either have to be very hardcore integrated graphics fan to play on lowest settings... and very stupid as all the gamers would laugh at him.. i would.
    What the **** does that post even mean. There's alot of bad mushed together into a tangled mess of words there.

Laughing at integrated graphics? A friend who played professional SC1 in Korea uses a $10 Logitech mouse. I use a notepad cover as my mousepad for my generic $12 Dell mouse to play Diamond League SC2. A classmate averages 400 apm on a $10 Dell keyboard he bought at our university store. It doesn't matter how much it cost, or where it came from as long as it gets the job done. Also, we all use integrated graphics. How's that for hardcore?

Granted, using integrated graphics to play GPU dependent games would bottleneck your abilities. However, SC2 is a RTS and scales its graphics according to the hardware it's played on. There's nothing to laugh at here.

Back on topic. Clearly, your friend wants to enjoy the graphics. Follow nando4's advice and go with a DIY ViDock. It's a resourceful solution that'll remain productive for a long time.
    Last edited by peli_kan; 29th July 2010 at 05:43 PM.
    HP 2730P: Samsung LTN121W4-L01 S-PVA display
    IBM Thinkpad X40: 16 GB Transcend 133x CF
    Dell Inspiron Mini 910: 8 GB STEC SSD, Ramdisk Cache, Windows XP SP3
    iPod Touch 2G: Jailbroken, Lossless -> LOD -> balanced armature / dynamic / electrostatic / orthodynamic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast