Quantcast AMD external graphics 5870 Eyefinity XGP box on a netbook

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    God

Default AMD external graphics 5870 Eyefinity XGP box on a netbook

AMD just launched its Broadway family of mobile GPUs. As it turns out, the most interesting take on the Mobility Radeon 5870 is the external GPU box for netbooks and the like. First and foremost, I have a confession to make. As a person who walks 20 kilometers a day on tradeshows and in general lives in planes, I do have a thing for smaller notebooks.

If there is one thing I could not stand at small notebooks and netbooks is the lack of graphics power when you finally get a chance to play with something, for instance in a hotel room that features a shiny LCD TV. Personally, I have zero desire to watch cable TV or CNN going on all the time.

Thus, I view XGP as a valiant effort to finally change that, and to enable road warriors to have a mobile computer that can live through the working day, or a flight from let's say Frankfurt to San Francisco and not to have graphics performance that resembles a 150-year old turtle.

AMD launched XGP way back at Computex Taipei 2008 but the company only got a single design win with Fujitsu Siemens, but the luck is now turning. On CES, AMD showed an Acer Ferrari One, a hybrid between a netbook and a notebook, connected to a small black box that featured a DVI, three DisplayPorts and a HDMI, as well as two USB ports and an external power connector with a 35W adapter connected to it. The inside was consisted out of 1GB of GDDR5 memory and a Juniper GPU. You've read it correctly, after nVidia went into their maniacal GPU renaming mode, even the mighty Intel started to rename their products accordingly. Thus, AMD had no reason not to name Juniper GPU 5770 on the desktop side of things, and Mobility Radeon 5870 on notebook side of things. Then again, we feel this is a lost opportunity to be really open and honest about what technology goes where.

When it comes to performance, seeing Tom Clancy's H.A.V.X. on three displays in Eyefinity configuration is nothing else but sweet. To play the game on three displays using nothing else but a puny netbook gives us hope that there is decent performance out there.

We hope to see Acer bringing the Mobility Radeon HD 5870 upgrade kit as soon as possible, hopefully spanning it across the product range.
    source: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...i-netbook.aspx

God

Default Re: AMD external graphics 5870 Eyefinity XGP box on a netbook

a few considerations...
    It's the first time XGP is used in such a small and low powerfull mobile computer. It's an Acer Ferrari One 200.
    There's the same problem as other XGP implementations, they all use mobility graphic cards and not desktop ones where you could upgrade etc.
    Still no MXM to PCI-E adapter so no help to DIY projects.
    XGP is a proprietary cable and connector, so don't XGP + Intel cpu's is impossible.
    This has such a great potential if AMD wants it. But they don't.
    XGP has 2 years old.
    MXM has 9 years old.
    Still no graphic upgrades.

Notebook Enthusiast

Does anyone know of any presented performance scores for this baby?

Gamer extraordinaire

It runs the Tom Clancy's HAWX on three displays, what more do you need to know. xD

Specs:
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/noteb...870-specs.aspx

http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=de&tl=en
    Clevo P170HMx: Intel Core i7 2960QM | Nvidia Geforce GTX 680m 4GB | 8GB DDR3 | Intel SSD 510 120GB | Seagate SSHD 1TB
    Accessories: QPAD QH-1339, QPAD MK-80 & Razer Mamba 2012.

My YouTube channel | My Twitch.tv channel

308 Negra Arroyo Lane

I just ordered the Acer Ferrari One today with the XGP port. Does anyone know where I can buy the external XGP box?
    H * π

There's always a flaw in the system. Finding it is the fun part. Exposing it is the dangerous part. Utilizing it is the human part.

エミヤ

Combining an external graphics card, an external monitor and a netbook seems like a contradiction to me. For those who really want gaming power on the go it's a bit much to take a large external monitor with you just to get games playing on the netbook.

Still, the screens are impressive.
    崩れた硝子の絵
    拾い集める夢
    漂い続ける
    君の名前さえも
    失くしてしまいそう
    孤独な楽園
    虚ろな揺り籠

Notebook Evangelist

sweet!! a step in the right direction (for some, including me )
    Asus N56VZ (i5-3210M, GT650M DDR3)

Notebook Guru

Harley, how about hotel's LCD screens? surely you can pack away that external graphic card box along w your clothes, and once you get back to hotel from whatever you were doing, business, or whatnot, it would be sweet to kick back and play some serious gaming on that big screen! talk about portability! and the best thing , that netbook is iwth you all day for surfin and light working, great battery time for those things. i think it's awesome product!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoloco View Post
    Harley, how about hotel's LCD screens? surely you can pack away that external graphic card box along w your clothes, and once you get back to hotel from whatever you were doing, business, or whatnot, it would be sweet to kick back and play some serious gaming on that big screen! talk about portability! and the best thing , that netbook is iwth you all day for surfin and light working, great battery time for those things. i think it's awesome product!
    Can do it already do this using a DIY ViDock to an expresscard equipped netbook (eg: Lenovo S10). Consider a 80W HD5750 + 80W PSU + PE4L, total cost=US$250. Less for slower graphics cards. Admittedly you'd be limited to x1 1.0 speed, but still much much faster than ion or IGP.

Notebook Virtuoso

That external box doesn't mean anything until it can also Drive the laptop or Netbook internal display. If you are limited to an external display then forget it. What if your Hotel TV is a pile of junk, doesn't have the right connector or has been ruined.

Much of these solutions don't offer more than my internal GTX 285M in terms of power and portability.
    P170HM | 17.3" 1080p Glossy NTSC 90% | i7-2630QM | GTX 680M | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Crucial M4 512GB | 750GB WD | Intel 6230+BT |

W110ER | 11.6" 1366x768 Glossy | i7-3610QM | GT 650M | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Momentus XT 750GB | Intel N130 |

My GTX 680M modified infs and guide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast