Quantcast Any way to bypass steam to install game?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starcraftologist

Default Any way to bypass steam to install game?

Ok so I cant install steam because of my network firewall. Now I have two games that I cannot play because they require steam... I really dont get why I need to install steam to play the game.

It doesnt say anything about installing steam on the requirements for the game. All it says is "you must accept the enclosed agreement"

So if the game requires Steam, why is it not updated to where I CAN USE IT and then later update it...

My main question: is there any way to install FEAR 2 or Left 4 Dead without a internet connection?
    M17 | QX9300 @2.53GHz | 4GB DDR3 @ 1066MHz | Xfire3870 | 128SSD | 1200p LCD | 64bit w7 | b13 bios | ccc 9.6
    MacBook | osx/Ubuntu 9.04/Windows 7 | 2.4GHz | 2gb ddr3 | 9400m

Starcraftologist

Default Re: Any way to bypass steam to install game?

I keep getting this error: Steam.exe(main exception):Unable to load library Steam.dll

Does anyone know what this means?
    M17 | QX9300 @2.53GHz | 4GB DDR3 @ 1066MHz | Xfire3870 | 128SSD | 1200p LCD | 64bit w7 | b13 bios | ccc 9.6

Notebook Evangelist

I have no idea what caused your second problem, might be due to the missing of Steam (If you did not install it).

To your first question, all Steam's game are encrypted in a way such that they could only be opened through Steam. However, I've seen pirated version of L4D that could be install and play without Steam... but that is not even close in term of legality/ EULA.

I fear that even discussing about this is against the forum's rule.
    NP8660 15.4" WSXGA+, Intel® P9500, nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS 512MB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB 7200RPM HDD

Starcraftologist

Well if its illegal than I wont do it.

If I can install steam w/o the .net, thats what I really need to know. Or do you need .net to install steam? Its rediculous if so...Because on the game requirements it says absolutely nothing about need an internet connection to play the game...thus being false advertising...Which is seriously frustrating me.

Ive been searching for hours trying to figure out this problem. And I will keep searching until I figure it out.

Thanks for the information nic

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Snowm0bile View Post
    Ok so I cant install steam because of my network firewall. Now I have two games that I cannot play because they require steam... I really dont get why I need to install steam to play the game.

It doesnt say anything about installing steam on the requirements for the game. All it says is "you must accept the enclosed agreement"

So if the game requires Steam, why is it not updated to where I CAN USE IT and then later update it...

My main question: is there any way to install FEAR 2 or Left 4 Dead without a internet connection?
    Now, Left 4 Dead is a Valve game. I have no idea about F.E.A.R. As I've said down there "all of Valve's retail games AND those downloaded from Steam require it. You just can't even activate the game online, in order to play ONLINE.". You need, however, just for a little bit some internets, in order to activate the game. Later on you can put your Steam in offline mode and play games that way (of course you won't be able to play multiplayer, as Steam won't be connected to internet). Right now, there is no legal way of bypassing Steam's activation process.
    I keep getting this error: Steam.exe(main exception):Unable to load library Steam.dll

Does anyone know what this means?
    GOOGLE it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nic. View Post
    I have no idea what caused your second problem, might be due to the missing of Steam (If you did not install it).

To your first question, all Steam's game are encrypted in a way such that they could only be opened through Steam. However, I've seen pirated version of L4D that could be install and play without Steam... but that is not even close in term of legality/ EULA.

I fear that even discussing about this is against the forum's rule.
    1. Correction: all of Valve's retail games AND those downloaded from Steam require it. You just can't even activate the game online, in order to play
    ONLINE.
    2. Yup, we sure as hell don't want to discuss such stuff here.

PS: Left 4 Dead's disc should contain a copy of an outdated version of Steam.

Starcraftologist

Haha thanks Hatrox. I have had steam for a long time, just dont have steam on this new laptop.

Now I think I have found the problem. It seems that it does need a .net connection in order to download the .dll...Which is heinous of the companies that make the games. Why isnt everything on the game dvd in order to fully install steam? assuming everyone in the world has an internet connection.

Notebook Virtuoso

Haha thanks Hatrox. I have had steam for a long time, just dont have steam on this new laptop.

Now I think I have found the problem. It seems that it does need a .net connection in order to download the .dll...Which is heinous of the companies that make the games. Why isnt everything on the game dvd in order to fully install steam? assuming everyone in the world has an internet connection.
    It's better than having SecuROM or any other annoying DRM on it.
    Sager NP9150 | Windows 7 HP | Core 2 Quad i7-3610QM | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GF 680M GTX | 7200RPM 750GB | 1920X1200 15"
    Lenovo R500 | Windows 7 Pro | Core 2 Duo P8600 | 4GB DDR3 1067 | Intel X4500 | 5400RPM 250GB | 1680X1050 15"

Starcraftologist

Yeah, but it is pretty rediculous. I have had to do so much just to install steam.

Then I install steam, and the game, and now it needs to be updated in order to play in "offline mode"

I like steam...if I had a good internet connection...but I dont atm, and its just a huge hassle

Starcraftologist

And now I get a steam error "The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes." When I try to launch the game...

This is great!!!!

Notebook Consultant

Yeah, but it is pretty rediculous. I have had to do so much just to install steam.

Then I install steam, and the game, and now it needs to be updated in order to play in "offline mode"

I like steam...if I had a good internet connection...but I dont atm, and its just a huge hassle
    Well just go in a place with a constant internet connection, do the stuff there and enable offline mode.
    And now I get a steam error "The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes." When I try to launch the game...

This is great!!!!
    Seriously dude, you have had more problems with it these few days, than I've had since I use Steam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast