Quantcast Anyway to Bypass Steam?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Anyway to Bypass Steam?

I recently purchased the Orange Box from Steam (it was the deal a couple weeks ago), and finally finished dling HL:2, only took about 4 days... But now even if I choose to start steam offline, it won't let me access HL:2. This doesn't make any sense since it's a single player game.

I can play CSS, which is a multiplayer game offline, and various other games, but not HL:2. Are there any cracks or patches I can use so I can play this while not connected to the internet?
    Acer One- Holding me over until the new Clevo release.
    Writer- WGTC

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Anyway to Bypass Steam?

Not that I found, anything from valve and some of the third party stuff will always start steam first even if you go directly to the game exe. Be watching this one to see if someone has the magic bullet.

wat

Get Steam-Buster Revolution. It's a Steam emulator that doesn't require an internet connection or any updating. Just tell it to look for the games installed in your steamapps folder and they should work just fine.

Obviously you won't be able to play online, but I used it for months last year when I didn't have an internet connection.
    Machine:
    [ i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz | MSI P67A-G43 | Cooler Master V8 | Corsair TX750 V2 750W | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600MHz | Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 | ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II triple-slot 1536MB | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 ]
    Periphs:
    [ Hannspree SL231 23-inch 1920x1080 LED | Razer Mamba + Goliathus Alpha extra-large Speed Edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue) | Belkin n52te | Razer Carcharias ]

NBR Resident Assistant

I make batch files... old school way.

I played Portal and other games of the Orange Box that way... since I do not always have internet access.

| Giveaway: More coming..
    Most popular articles: What is the best notebook brand?.. Exposed. | E3 2009: Booth Girls | Star Wars: The Old Republic - Interview
    VirtualBox - F.A.Q., Tutorial & Guide | Black Friday 2009 - I show you how to NOT wait in line | Xbox 360's for under $100 ... Yay!

Notebook Consultant

about steam buster,
    i installed it and it says
    "cant find any games..."

do i need to get those gcf files somewhere?

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by GamingACU View Post
    I recently purchased the Orange Box from Steam (it was the deal a couple weeks ago), and finally finished dling HL:2, only took about 4 days... But now even if I choose to start steam offline, it won't let me access HL:2. This doesn't make any sense since it's a single player game.

I can play CSS, which is a multiplayer game offline, and various other games, but not HL:2. Are there any cracks or patches I can use so I can play this while not connected to the internet?
    That is very weird. I usually use Steam offline and I can play any game, including HL2. Can you play any of the episodes offline? How about Portal? I am guessing something wrong went on the installation, maybe reinstalling would solve your problems.

Please let us know if you find what happened.
    PC: Death Star | i5-2500K | 8GB RAM | 570 GTX | 1TB HDD | Win7-64
    My precious: N61JA | i5-430M | 4GB RAM | ATI 5730m | 500GB HDD | Win7-64 || ATI 5730m: benchmark review
    Old laptop: Vostro 1500 | C2D 2.0GHz | 4GB RAM | 8600m-GT | 160GB HDD | Vista-32 || OCing 8600m-GT: Results and analysis

wat

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousN View Post
    about steam buster,
    i installed it and it says
    "cant find any games..."

do i need to get those gcf files somewhere?
    The GCF files should be in (with default directory) C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps.
    Machine:
    [ i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz | MSI P67A-G43 | Cooler Master V8 | Corsair TX750 V2 750W | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600MHz | Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 | ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II triple-slot 1536MB | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 ]
    Periphs:
    [ Hannspree SL231 23-inch 1920x1080 LED | Razer Mamba + Goliathus Alpha extra-large Speed Edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue) | Belkin n52te | Razer Carcharias ]

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lozanogo View Post
    That is very weird. I usually use Steam offline and I can play any game, including HL2. Can you play any of the episodes offline? How about Portal? I am guessing something wrong went on the installation, maybe reinstalling would solve your problems.

Please let us know if you find what happened.
    I can play CSS offline, I haven't finished dling any of the episodes (I'm on a 20k/s dl speed). All I did was dl HL2 and it autoinstalled, I'm not redling it to try and fix this.

Also, are there any legit sites to get Steam-Buster Revolution from, I don't really feel like trying to torrent anything on this connection.
    Last edited by GamingACU; 20th May 2009 at 05:09 AM.
    Writer- WGTC

Notebook Deity

I'm starting to think this might be more hl2 related... I just crashed twice in 5 minutes while playing it...nothing was over 60C, so it wasn't a hardware problem.
    Writer- WGTC

Starcraftologist

Im pretty sure you can run steam in offline mode and it will let you run any game. I dont have steam right now, but I have it on my desktop back home and when I didnt have internet connection I remember doing that and being able to play hl2 and all the other games I have on steam.
    M17 | QX9300 @2.53GHz | 4GB DDR3 @ 1066MHz | Xfire3870 | 128SSD | 1200p LCD | 64bit w7 | b13 bios | ccc 9.6
    MacBook | osx/Ubuntu 9.04/Windows 7 | 2.4GHz | 2gb ddr3 | 9400m

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast