Quantcast laptop Nvidia 8600 GT, are they faulty? - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: laptop Nvidia 8600 GT, are they faulty?

Even though many things are often hyped worse than they are, the nVidia manufacturing defect is not one of those. The issue is serious and nVidia is facing difficult times as a result. It wasn't completely their fault though, as it had to do with the TSMC fabrication process.

Personally, I won't touch an 8400/8600M series... The 9600M series seems to be good, or I doubt HP would be using them, since they were the ones that first reported the issue. I would think that if nVidia didn't fix it, they would not be using the 9600M in their new DV5Ts. That evidence is not enough to provide complete proof that the 9 series mobile cards are problem free, but good enough for me.

Notebook Evangelist

I know they mentioned only dell and hp, but could my 9500m gs from acer could be affected?
    Last edited by matmat07; 13th September 2008 at 11:11 AM.
    Sold: Acer aspire 6920G "blue gemstone": C2D T5750 2.0Ghz (-0.2V) - 4GB DDR2 -16" HD LCD - 320GB 5400RPM HDD - GeForce 9500M GS - Blu-ray Disc
    Owned: Asus N71JQ: i7-720QM 1.6/2.8GHZ - 8GB DDR3 1333MHz - 17.3" - 320GB 7200RPM HDD + 60GB SSD - ATI HD 5730

Notebook Consultant

what is the fault with these cards so i can check it out for my self and others know what to look for.

Notebook Geek

I guess theres heating issues? I am not sure, i am still looking into it

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by matmat07 View Post
    I know they mentioned only dell and hp, but could my 9500m gs from acer could be affected?
    No, I believe that the 9500s are the refresh of the 8600s which means that they were fixed, and run at much lower temperatures, but again, I have no proof since I don't own a book with a 9500M GS, but you can read around the forum, I'm sure it has been posted

Quote Originally Posted by 2shot View Post
    what is the fault with these cards so i can check it out for my self and others know what to look for.
    Well, the fault for me would be that when I game, the temp has gone up to around 97C - 110C, and usually idles at around 75C
    Asus G50v-A1
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9400
    Nanya 4GB DDR2 800MHz
    nVidia GeForce 9700M GT 512MB GDDR3
    250GB + 250GB SATA HD@5400rpm
    15.4" WSXGA+ ColorShine TFT-LCD
    ..R.I.P. G1s..
    tRt taught me about this colour

Notebook Evangelist

No, this issue really is extremely overhyped.

I remember ever since I got my notebook and started coming to NBR pretty much everyone was being recommended the 8600 for gaming and 8400 for light gaming. It was a solid card, great performance, etc. etc. and no one ever mentioned anything about its failure rates or any heating issues they have had that may be an anomaly.
    Fast foward to today and we know the GPUs high lead solder bumps tend to fail at temperatures above x degrees celsius and suddenly everyone's card is a piece of crap and everyone has a story about a friend/third cousin twice removed who's card exploded as he was typing a paper in powersaver mode with a notebook cooler (exaggerated but you get the point).
    That's not to say I am taking NVIDIA's side either; they shouldn't have hidden the problem and they should replace any cards that fail with good cards (Later batches have the problem fixed, I believe). Unfortunately, this will be a lot more costly for NVIDIA than this, as many uninformed consumers (such as Mr.Third Cousin) will want their cards replaced despite the fact that they probably aren't ever going to reach temps high enough for the fault to be an issue.
    Dell XPS m1530/Vista SP1/Core 2 Duo T9300/WXGA+ LCD screen/160GB 7200RPM Hard Drive/2GB RAM/256MB DDR3 NVIDIA 8600m GT

I died for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by deathstick View Post

I remember ever since I got my notebook and started coming to NBR pretty much everyone was being recommended the 8600 for gaming and 8400 for light gaming.
    Lol, true. True.

Despite me owning an 8600 that's not faulty [yet, hopefully never], I'd say stay away from them. The DV5t is a nice choice, and I'm quite sure the problem doesn't carry over to the 9-series cards, even the ones that were "refresh" cards [9500 GS, 9300 G]
    Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D T7300 2GHz | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 5400RPM | 8600M GT | WXGA TrueLife | 1390 [WLAN b/g] | WinXPHome/Win7Pro

Samsung N150 Plus | Atom N450 1.6GHz | 1GB DDR2-800 | 250GB 5400RPM | GMA 3150 | WSVGA Matte | Broadcom 802.11n | Win7HomePremium

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by deathstick View Post

I remember ever since I got my notebook and started coming to NBR pretty much everyone was being recommended the 8600 for gaming and 8400 for light gaming. It was a solid card, great performance, etc. etc. and no one ever mentioned anything about its failure rates or any heating issues they have had that may be an anomaly.
    Has it occurred to you that a failure needs time in order for the number of thermal cycles to build up. Not hours, not days, not even weeks. Months and years.

Fast foward to today and we know the GPUs high lead solder bumps tend to fail at temperatures above x degrees celsius and suddenly everyone's card is a piece of crap
    Every single card with that defect IS a piece of crap, since its lifespan is considerably shorter that it ought to be, and since the notebook designers expected a card able to withstand a certain kind of thermal cycling. It's just like putting a 486 fan cooler on a Pentium4 at 3.6 GHZ.

and everyone has a story about a friend/third cousin twice removed who's card exploded as he was typing a paper in powersaver mode with a notebook cooler (exaggerated but you get the point).
    There is a sort of statistical bias here: the great majority of the people who ran the extra money to buy a dedicated video card did not do that to type a paper in powersaving mode. Did that because they expected to use the full power of the card.

Now, more than one year later, all the people who, in that period of time, had their card (or worse their mobos) fried are stepping out, pointing their finger at DELL (Should I mention _which_ finger?)

That's not to say I am taking NVIDIA's side either; they shouldn't have hidden the problem and they should replace any cards that fail with good cards (Later batches have the problem fixed, I believe).
    Unfortunately nvidia did not disclose that kind of information.
    Moreover, changing a material in an ASIC fabrication process is not like using olive oil instead of butter. Something needs to be adjusted, and money has to be spent. I an not sure that nvidia (that so much has done to cover this up, and still is not coming clean) had the will to run more money for that.

Unfortunately, this will be a lot more costly for NVIDIA than this, as many uninformed consumers (such as Mr.Third Cousin) will want their cards replaced despite the fact that they probably aren't ever going to reach temps high enough for the fault to be an issue.
    A card of that type won't reach 70C???
    C'mon. Most system under stress have 'em run at 90C, some even at 110C.
    But in a way you are right: mr. Third Cousing would not build up enough thermal cycles to have the card fail under the warranty period.
    After that, he's on his own with a lemon.

And, what's worse, he knew it and saw it coming (or better yet: he heard it coming, since the bios update had the fans run all the time, eating battery life).
    Dell Vostro 1500 owner
    Core 2 Duo T7300@2GHz, 4MB L2; 2GB RAM @ 667MHz;
    160GB HD; Debian Linuxes, Vi$ta Bu$ine$$ -> XP Pro;
    nvidia GT 8600M, 256 MB; 1280x800 matte LCD;
    Bluetooth Dell 355: Intel Wireless N 4965 ; no webcam.

エミヤ

I have yet to see my stock-clocked GPU go over 65 degrees yet (temp readings from I8kfanGUI), it's my CPU that can go well over 90 degrees instead. My GPU is supposedly unaffected because it's a really early version of the 8600, I'm not worried and don't expect to be suing Nvidia anytime soon for screwing up their production process.

In short, anyone who wants to trumpet the stupidity of the company in making defective chips has a vested interest in litigation.

To the OP: Another reason not to touch the 8600GT is that better more efficient cards are available with better performance for the same budget.
    崩れた硝子の絵
    拾い集める夢
    漂い続ける
    君の名前さえも
    失くしてしまいそう
    孤独な楽園
    虚ろな揺り籠

Notebook Evangelist

can we trust the temps programs shows us? Because I know my cpu can have 2 different temp depending on the program I use(one 15C higher that makes more senses).
    Sold: Acer aspire 6920G "blue gemstone": C2D T5750 2.0Ghz (-0.2V) - 4GB DDR2 -16" HD LCD - 320GB 5400RPM HDD - GeForce 9500M GS - Blu-ray Disc
    Owned: Asus N71JQ: i7-720QM 1.6/2.8GHZ - 8GB DDR3 1333MHz - 17.3" - 320GB 7200RPM HDD + 60GB SSD - ATI HD 5730

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast