Quantcast upgrading video card on my dell inspiron 6000

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default upgrading video card on my dell inspiron 6000

hey guys I have a dell inspiron 6000 and the stock radion x300 64mb graphics isnt cutting it for the games i play. (world of warcraft, counterstrike)

can someone possibly recommend to me a video card and where to buy it that will fit my computer and play those 2 games well for me ? the stock 512 ram sucks also, but i just ordered a stick of 1gb so Im fixing that problem.

I pwn teh n00bs.

Default Re: upgrading video card on my dell inspiron 6000

The only choice you have is the 128mb x300. That's it.

You current card is more than enough to play those games just fine. Heck, my intergrated ATI one does.

The reason why games run so poorly is because of the 512mb of ram you have. Another 1gb stick and the games will run much much better. Like night and day really compared to your current ram situation.
    As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Go Newbs!

I've Inspiron 6000 as well. I did some research before but this just isn't possible.
    Last edited by Patrick Y.; 8th August 2007 at 03:18 PM.

I pwn teh n00bs.

The x300 card in the 6000 is upgradable, just that there aren't many choices.

There is no 32mb version, so you must have the intel gma, which you're right it's not possible. But the dude has a dedicated card, which is upgradable.
    As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Quote Originally Posted by adinu View Post
    The only choice you have is the 128mb x300. That's it.

You current card is more than enough to play those games just fine. Heck, my intergrated ATI one does.

The reason why games run so poorly is because of the 512mb of ram you have. Another 1gb stick and the games will run much much better. Like night and day really compared to your current ram situation.
    hmm interesting, cause yeah right now when i run world of warcraft with the settings all the way down i still lag like crazyy and it has nothing to do with my internet thats for sure. when I get the 1b gb ram stick and install it ill also have another 256 stick so ill have over 1gb of ram, ill let u guys know how the game runs then. just for curiousity how much is a radeon 128mb x300 , and where can I buy it? like u said after i upgrade my ram i probably wont need it but im just curious. and are u sure thats the highest upgradable video card I Can get?

I pwn teh n00bs.

Yes it is, nothing else that dell makes will fit. You can try calling dell to see if they have any leftovers or look on ebay.

Just to give you some examples:

My current card (ati xpress 1100) runs wow fine at 1280*800 with medium settings. Your card is a slightly more powerful version of mine with dedicated ram, so there's no way that it's not gonna run it just as well as mine.

I had an old laptop with 512mb of ram and an ati 9000. HL2 lagged like hell (<20fps). Checked my task manager, and the ram available was pretty much 0. Upgraded to 1gb of ram, game ran smoothly (60fps) and even was able to bump the resolution a notch. Checked task manager, the game was using over 700mb of ram. So you can see how a game like counterstrike will be limited by the lack of ram. I assume this is CSS, as CS 1.6 should run perfectly on ur current system.

Go Newbs!

The x300 card in the 6000 is upgradable, just that there aren't many choices.

There is no 32mb version, so you must have the intel gma, which you're right it's not possible. But the dude has a dedicated card, which is upgradable.
    oops I meant 64MB. I actually meant that there isn't any other card to upgrade to (except 128MB version).

NBR Super Moderator

No, any card that you could upgrade to had to have been offered on the i6000 at some point in time. The part would have to come from another i6000 (off of eBay or similar) or from Dell itself. There is no generic card that you can purchase an insert as the GPU is a Dell-specific design made by Dell for Dell.
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

Yes it is, nothing else that dell makes will fit. You can try calling dell to see if they have any leftovers or look on ebay.

Just to give you some examples:

My current card (ati xpress 1100) runs wow fine at 1280*800 with medium settings. Your card is a slightly more powerful version of mine with dedicated ram, so there's no way that it's not gonna run it just as well as mine.

I had an old laptop with 512mb of ram and an ati 9000. HL2 lagged like hell (<20fps). Checked my task manager, and the ram available was pretty much 0. Upgraded to 1gb of ram, game ran smoothly (60fps) and even was able to bump the resolution a notch. Checked task manager, the game was using over 700mb of ram. So you can see how a game like counterstrike will be limited by the lack of ram. I assume this is CSS, as CS 1.6 should run perfectly on ur current system.
    Yeah i was talking about CS:S. I'll let u no how wow runs after i upgrade my ram to 1gb. just ordered it, should be here in 2-4 days. thx for the help guys, really helpful forum, appreciate it.

Hi, I have the same laptop, same specs without the added RAM. When i run CS:S i only get a max of 12fps and thats on the absolute lowest settings and my internet connection is fine. IS there any possible way to increase my FPS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast