Quantcast A Review of the D-BOX 3D Movie Seat Experience

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default A Review of the D-BOX 3D Movie Seat Experience

Last week, Ed Green wrote about the American public’s preference for 2D over 3D movies. I’m squarely in the 3D camp, especially with the incredible advances in the quality of the 3D over the last few years. Saturday night, the wife and I decided to go see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: PT 2. With both 2D and 3D versions starting at the same time, it wasn’t a question for us as to which version we wanted to see, but we were surprised by an additional question posed by the sales clerk.

Would you like to view it in D-BOX seats?”

Having no idea what she was talking about, I asked “What does that mean?”

The clerk responded that they were a new type of seat that moves in conjunction with the movie you are watching, “Like a roller coaster attached to a movie.” A more accurate description from the D-BOX Technologies Inc., website states the following:

D-BOX Motion Code™ uses motion effects specifically programmed for each film, TV series or video game, which are sent to a motion generating system integrated within either a platform or a seat. The resulting motion is perfectly synchronized with all onscreen action, creating an unmatched realistic immersive experience.

Being game for new experiences, the wife and I paid the extra $8 per reserved seat and settled into the theater. The seats are larger than the traditional movie seats and have a bit more leg room. They are also elevated higher than traditional seats. The viewer can customize their motion experience by selecting between 3 toggles - low, medium and high. These selections can be changed throughout the movie should the viewer find the motion too intense (so the trailer advertising D-Box informed). Of course I cranked mine up to 11.

The chair kicked into action during a trailer for Conan the Barbarian (2011), rocking and rattling through a flurry of jumps, swinging swords and writhing snakes on the screen. The motion was a bit disorientating with the quick cuts between scenes. I began to worry that the seats would move constantly throughout the entire Harry Potter showing. That was not the case. The coordination of motion and film was well conceived as long swathes of the often somber movie were placid. However, when it kicked in, it was fun. I found the best employment of the technology was when it was applied in quick, unexpected short bursts. Longer scenes with the screen motion and the seat whipping around often made it too jarring to follow the action closely.

I found the whole experience to be a lot of fun but somewhat distracting. The best movies already offer an immersive experience. With the onset of seat movement, I often found myself jerked back into reality, aware that I was watching a screen.

Would I do it again, yes, but I’d be choosy about the type of film. I’d avoid it for plot driven stories, but I’d happily plunk down the additional $8 for a movie where they “blow stuff up real good,” like Battle: Los Angeles, or Transformers 3. It would also be fun if set against an old school horror movie (Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street), to punctuate the surprise scare scenes.

One additional lament from the wife. Since the seats are larger and further apart than regular theater seating, it isn’t possible to snuggle with your date while enjoying the D-BOX experience.

From further research, I found these seats have been available in theaters since Dec 2009, but didn’t reach my slightly above backwoods locale until this month. This type of gimmick is not new as movie houses have been experimenting with seating effects as early as 1959. The quality of course, is far superior.

So does anyone else have D-Box stories to relate? Did you enjoy it? Did you think it was worth the extra cost?
    Acer 8943G / The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~Joseph Joubert, Pensées, 1842
    Follow Me on Twitter: @ChrisLeonard
    Follow the @TechGuideForums Twitter Feed
    Check out our TechnologyGuide Facebook Site

Coffee enthusiast

Default Re: A Review of the D-BOX 3D Movie Seat Experience

Hi Cleonard,
    Fun thing that you are talking about DBox seats, the movie theater where I used to work was the first one in Canada to get the seats!
    Just like you mentioned, the experience is very enjoyable but you have to get the right movie.
    I have seen a couple of movie in those seats, the best one were without a doubt Need For Speed and 2012.

On the other hand I really think the DBox experience makes the whole thing a lot more immersive, especially when it was well "encoded".
    Talking about Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, I've rarely been that scared in a movie theater!! The moving seats add to your surprise and it was not rare to hear a girl yelling :P
    Nomad ;
    Acer V7 482PG//i5 4200U//8GB//500GB HDD + 24GB SSD//Nvidia GT 750M//Win 8.1 // OnePlus One
    PC Rig ;
    FD Define R4//Intel DB67BG Extreme Series//i7 2700k//16GB//250GB SSD boot drive//3.5TB Data Storage//GTX 760//Win7 Pro//X-Star DP2710 and HP 2509b monitors

Notebook Consultant

Hi Thierry19,

Thanks for the response. How well did the D-BOX seats sell at the theater where you worked? Any idea how much it cost the theater to put them in?

Thanks!
    Acer 8943G / The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~Joseph Joubert, Pensées, 1842

Coffee enthusiast

The D-Box seats did very well, we ended up having them in two auditoriums. If I recall correctly, we paid around $15 000 for every seat.
    The funny thing is that the theater don't get more money out of those seat, the $8 extra is going directly to the D-Box encoders, so it was only a good publicity, and it brought people to come.
    When 2012 first came out, our D-Box seats where all sold for more than a month.
    Nomad ;
    Acer V7 482PG//i5 4200U//8GB//500GB HDD + 24GB SSD//Nvidia GT 750M//Win 8.1 // OnePlus One
    PC Rig ;
    FD Define R4//Intel DB67BG Extreme Series//i7 2700k//16GB//250GB SSD boot drive//3.5TB Data Storage//GTX 760//Win7 Pro//X-Star DP2710 and HP 2509b monitors

Notebook Consultant

$15,000?! I figured they cost $2-3,000 with some subsidizing from the D-BOX company. The conversion to Canadian dollars (a few years ago) and a premium paid for being the first in Canada to have the seats may have factored in, but that still seems awfully steep. Even filling the seats for 4 showings a day would require a 500 day payback, not to mention repair fees (maybe those were built-in). Sure they are an attraction, but tying up cash for 1.5 years seems to me is a questionable business move.

Banned

Reading this reminds me of when I went to the Back to the Future ride at disneyland. Fun times.