Quantcast Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Sa 3650!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Sa 3650!

I would like to start a thread which will follow the progress of this notebook's path to release. Is there any new information as of September 2008? Does it stand a chance of being released in the U.S.? Will the XGP port be a revolution in notebook design and function? I am particularly excited about this computer and am anxiously awaiting any future information on this product. I have a Norwegian site which has it for sale, but my Norwegian is horrible.

HTML Code:
    http://www.meeter.no/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:2088008
    No one really discusses this model in the forums and I am wondering if it is because there really isn't much information on it or that this technology is really not that important or exciting? Thoughts?

Slobbers on subnotebooks

Default Re: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Sa 3650!

I am also extremely interested in the XGP technology. Unfortunately, it seems as though AMD has a patent on it for a year. It needs a special port to function and will only be on AMD Puma notebooks.

Intel right now just has the better laptop processors out right now and I don't want to be stuck with AMD.

I wonder if Nvidia will make an alternative for Intel notebooks? I know a lot of Intel notebook owners that would love to have an external graphics card like myself.

This is a great idea as it lets me have a small 12-13" laptop to take around school, not a huge 15 or 17" gaming laptop. I take it home and plug it to my monitor or HDTV and the XGP and have a full gaming computer. There will be much less heat and noise while gaming, because the graphics card is external.

But there's no news of this Fujitsu laptop or the XGP, only news of its announcement, no mention on price or release date.

But we are heading in the right direction, external graphics cards for laptops are a marvelous idea.
    Steam: nerdydesi

HP DV6-6910US

Banned

Looks perfect but with Amilo Xi series rather

Hoy
    Notebook Evangelist

Word on the street is that this should be available now. Any retailers that ship internationally? (specifically the US, Japan or an APO AP address (US military base in Japan)

Slobbers on subnotebooks

Quote Originally Posted by Hoy View Post
    Word on the street is that this should be available now. Any retailers that ship internationally? (specifically the US, Japan or an APO AP address (US military base in Japan)
    Where did you hear this? I don't think its been released yet.
    This Amilo Sa 3650 model will be Europe only but I'm sure variants of it will come to other regions.

HP DV6-6910US

Hoy
    Notebook Evangelist

Hoy
    Notebook Evangelist

I have my doubts at the moment if an XGP laptop is in the near future for anyone outside of Europe.

SL2
    Notebook Deity

It's using a mobility 3870 in the GraphicBooster, which makes it smaller but also much harder to upgrade, if possible at all.

In the end it will be more expensive than having two computers.
    An Athlon X2 2.4 GHz PC with a real 3870 card is not really expensive, maybe close to the price of the GraphicBooster.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool product, but I just wanted to point out that you don't pay for mobile gaming, and it won't be cheaper than a gaming PC + laptop.
    Last edited by SL2; 17th September 2008 at 11:46 PM.

Slobbers on subnotebooks

Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    In the end it will be more expensive than having two computers.
    An Athlon X2 2.4 GHz PC with a real 3870 card is not really expensive, maybe close to the price of the GraphicBooster.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool product, but I just wanted to point out that you don't pay for mobile gaming, and it won't be cheaper than a gaming PC + laptop.
    Really? Will it really be that expensive that I could just buy a gaming desktop instead? I wanted to have a laptop that could also double as a gaming machine with external graphics card hooked up to it.

Its too bad it can't be upgraded either, I wanted to maybe swap out the card and put in a desktop 4870 in there.

HP DV6-6910US

SL2
    Notebook Deity

Well I actually haven't seen any price for the GraphicBooster, but I'd be surpised if it costs less than €200, and the Laptop costs €1000.

Looking at the lowest prices for these components:
    AMD 4600+: €43
    4GB RAM 800 MHz: €58
    Samsung 320GB HDD: €39
    Samsung DVD RW: €16
    Biostar motherboard: €39
    ATI HD 3870: €87
    Foxconn case & 300 W PSU: €31

Add a decent Amilo Si 2636 to that for €800 and I'm pretty sure you still haven't payed more than what you would have done for the Sa 3650 + GraphicBooster.

Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast