Quantcast USB 3.0 External PCi Enclosure

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: USB 3.0 External PCi Enclosure

Notebook Enthusiast

Default USB 3.0 External PCi Enclosure

Hey Guys,

I am doing a Senior Design Project and working to make a USB 3.0 External PCi Enclosure for use with laptop and desktops. The main purpose is to allow Ultrabook laptops, or older notebooks to use a external graphics card then, instead of relying on the Intel Integrated card. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to purchase a device like this or use this product?

Attached is the rough sketch up of the design, and product features.

If you have questions or anything regarding it please ask.

Product Features:
    -Allows for external use of a full sized Graphics Card (NVidia, AMD, etc..).

-This will more the triple the performance of the computer, and allow the computer to run the most demanding games, and software!
    -Will be light weight and durable, which is perfect for traveling.
    -Will Use USB 3.0 and the new 3.1 standard, which is common amongst computers.
    -Will come preloaded with Software to allow for the correct drivers to be installed on the computer.
    -The PCi slot will not be limited to a graphic cards, but any PCi compatible device i.e. Wireless Adapter, RAM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GPU2.PNG   GPU1.PNG   GPU LID.jpg   GPU.PNG  
    Last edited by boomwaller; 8th October 2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Adding pic

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: USB 3.0 External PCi Enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by boomwaller View Post
    Hey Guys,

I am doing a Senior Design Project and working to make a USB 3.0 External PCi Enclosure for use with laptop and desktops. The main purpose is to allow Ultrabook laptops, or older notebooks to use a external graphics card then, instead of relying on the Intel Integrated card. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to purchase a device like this or use this product?

Attached is the rough sketch up of the design, and product features.

If you have questions or anything regarding it please ask.

Product Features:
    -Allows for external use of a full sized Graphics Card (NVidia, AMD, etc..).

-This will more the triple the performance of the computer, and allow the computer to run the most demanding games, and software!
    -Will be light weight and durable, which is perfect for traveling.
    -Will Use USB 3.0 and the new 3.1 standard, which is common amongst computers.
    -Will come preloaded with Software to allow for the correct drivers to be installed on the computer.
    -The PCi slot will not be limited to a graphic cards, but any PCi compatible device i.e. Wireless Adapter, RAM.
    This sounds amazing! I personally wouldn't be interested as I already have a capable machine but I know a few people who would.

How far are you into the process? Because I do believe USB 3 doesn't natively have any PCI-e lanes and has a MUCH higher latency compared to thunderbolt or expresscard.
    2011 Macbook Pro 13inch -- i5 2.3ghz dual core 8gb ram -- Windows 7
    EGPU: 2011 mbp -- Vidock 4plus -- NVidia 660 -- 27inch monitor
    3Dmark06 score: 14761
    2012 Mac Mini -- 3615QM quad i7 -- 8gb ram -- Windows 8 -- OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3
    EGPU: 2012 Mac Mini -- Vidock 4plus -- NVidia 660 -- 27inch monitor
    3Dmark06 score: 23081

If you play BF3, hit me up on xbox or pc:
    PC-- TheEpicBlob

If you have a convincing plan on how to accelerate graphics through this interface reliably, then I would be the first in line!

Notebook Enthusiast

We already have the ground work done, and will be doing testing for throughout and speed, but from looking at the controllers and gear we are using it should be significantly better then an integrated card. We did initially look at using Thunderbolt, but with Intel not supporting it and denying certification we had to go another route. Also we will be looking at using USB 3.1 which is going to be 10 GBs in speed.

We will be creating our own circuit board for the device and also looking through specs we should be able to get very good speeds from say a Intel HD 3000/4000 one should expect 5-10 times performance boost. The rough sketch up will be changing I am in the process of adding a new one. I was just curious if this would be a viable product as I know I would love to play high end games and programs on my Samsung Series 9!

Thanks for the feedback, please if you have any suggestions or comments ask!! :-)
    Last edited by boomwaller; 3rd October 2013 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Misspelled

Quote Originally Posted by boomwaller View Post
    We already have the ground work done, and will be doing testing for throughout and speed, but from looking at the controllers and gear we are using it should be significantly better then an integrated card. We did initially look at using Thunderbolt, but with Intel not supporting it and denying certification we had to go another route. Also we will be looking at using USB 3.1 which is going to be 10 GBs in speed.

We will be creating our own circuit board for the device and also looking through specs we should be able to get very good speeds from say a Intel HD 3000/4000 one should expect 5-10 times performance boost. The rough sketch up will be changing I am in the process of adding a new one. I was just curious if this would be a viable product as I know I would love to play high end games and programs on my Samsung Series 9!

Thanks for the feedback, please if you have any suggestions or comments ask!! :-)
    Seriously, you need to get this crowdfunded! Look at kickstarter, idiegogo, ignitiondeck or selfstarter.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by loraderon View Post
    Seriously, you need to get this crowdfunded! Look at kickstarter, idiegogo, ignitiondeck or selfstarter.
    We are actually looking at doing that but want to get the prototype up and fully functional first, and should have it roughly done by December.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hey guys,
    I attached new images of what it will look like, with VGA and HDMI ports. Please feel free to add any suggestions or changes to the design and how it will function.

Notebook Retailer

Good apart from the graphics card facing the wrong way in the slot. (Gpu should be the other side of the pcb).
    Sales@PowerNotebooks.com | Phone: (US) 877-711-1777 - CALL US FOR NOTEBOOKREVIEW ACTIVE MEMBER DISCOUNTS

Custom Built Sager, MSI, PowerPro, ASUS and Alienware Laptop computers, and Custom Built Crown Desktop Computers
    ResellerRatings.com Customer Satisfaction Rating =
    10/10 Better Business Bureau A+ Rated

Are you guys developing this around the PLX 3382?

Notebook Evangelist

Will the power supply be built in or external? And are you making your own or will people just buy generic power supplies.
    2011 Macbook Pro 13inch -- i5 2.3ghz dual core 8gb ram -- Windows 7
    EGPU: 2011 mbp -- Vidock 4plus -- NVidia 660 -- 27inch monitor
    3Dmark06 score: 14761
    2012 Mac Mini -- 3615QM quad i7 -- 8gb ram -- Windows 8 -- OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3
    EGPU: 2012 Mac Mini -- Vidock 4plus -- NVidia 660 -- 27inch monitor
    3Dmark06 score: 23081

If you play BF3, hit me up on xbox or pc:
    PC-- TheEpicBlob

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast