Quantcast DIY eGPU experiences - Page 850

+ Reply to Thread
Page 850 of 1185 FirstFirst ... 350750800840846847848849850851852853854860900950 ... LastLast
Results 8,491 to 8,500 of 11850
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DIY eGPU experiences

Lord Pringles

Default Re: DIY eGPU experiences

Quote Originally Posted by dead_lock View Post
    ... getting a new gaming rig altogether...
    I already saving my money for Ivy Bridge gaming laptop. But I also targeting notebook with Thunderbolt. Of course using it with eGPU.
    Dell Studio 1557 | Intel Core i7-720QM - CPU Microcode Update Rev 4 | 4GB | dGPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 + eGPU: PowerColor HD 5870
    Asus A42JV/K42JV | Intel Core i5-450M | 4GB DDR3 1066MHz | nVidia GeForce GT 335M 1GB DDR3 with Optimus technology | WLED 1366x768 14"
    Phoenix BIOS MOD Request | Acer Notebook Clock Generators/PLL | Guide to BIOS mod for Dual-IDA

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kizwan View Post
    Is this the strands you're referring to?

So, you're saying your PSU have 5 rails? That is not true. Your PSU have three 12V rails, not five. Different strands doesn't mean it is from different rails.
    No I understand that now, I was just giving my full power configuration to ask if there existed a setup that would work from my graphics card. So as long as I use each 6-pin on one of +12V1, +12V2, and +12V3, I should be able to power my card, or so I've inferred. That is all. Still have code 12 though, trying to get rid of it
    Sager NP7762 with Radeon HD 4570 iGPU
    Intel i7 820QM
    8gb DDR3
    EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD eGPU (PE4H)

Lord Pringles

You already fixed Error Code 12 by booting with eGPU connected.

I also get Error Code 12 if didn't boot with eGPU connected. In my case & also several other notebook, e.g. Lenovo x220, BIOS automatically reduced TOLUD (and reallocate other device memory resources) to allocate 256MB PCI space for eGPU. This is not true for all notebooks though. You mention earlier that TOLUD (TOLM for i7 quad core) doesn't change (0xC8000000) whether boot with or without eGPU. I think, your BIOS reallocate other device memory resources to create 256MB PCI space for eGPU. You can confirm this by comparing device resources between boot with & without eGPU connected. You can use AIDA64 to generate the report.
    Dell Studio 1557 | Intel Core i7-720QM - CPU Microcode Update Rev 4 | 4GB | dGPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 + eGPU: PowerColor HD 5870
    Asus A42JV/K42JV | Intel Core i5-450M | 4GB DDR3 1066MHz | nVidia GeForce GT 335M 1GB DDR3 with Optimus technology | WLED 1366x768 14"
    Phoenix BIOS MOD Request | Acer Notebook Clock Generators/PLL | Guide to BIOS mod for Dual-IDA

Notebook Enthusiast

You already fixed Error Code 12 by booting with eGPU connected.

I also get Error Code 12 if didn't boot with eGPU connected. In my case & also several other notebook, e.g. Lenovo x220, BIOS automatically reduced TOLUD (and reallocate other device memory resources) to allocate 256MB PCI space for eGPU. This is not true for all notebooks though. You mention earlier that TOLUD (TOLM for i7 quad core) doesn't change (0xC8000000) whether boot with or without eGPU. I think, your BIOS reallocate other device memory resources to create 256MB PCI space for eGPU. You can confirm this by comparing device resources between boot with & without eGPU connected. You can use AIDA64 to generate the report.
    Thank you for the response. When I get home I'll get AIDA64 and confirm it. Even if I do confirm it though, how can I go about solving my crashing problem? I think I may try a friends power supply with my system and see if anything changes. If my eGPU is getting it's 256mb, than (other than power), what could my problem be? Could it be the fuse bypass jumper, which I still haven't done yet?

I am going to solder my fuse bypass jumpers today and I have the 2.4 PE4H kit, which has 3 fuses rather than the 2 that are in the 2.0 kit which the tutorial is over. Do I solder bypasses over all 3 fuses? Or just the two above the FDD? Thanks for all the help, I'd be nowhere without you (and some others as well).
    Last edited by pen15erer; 20th February 2012 at 01:03 PM.
    Intel i7 820QM
    8gb DDR3

Lord Pringles

Quote Originally Posted by pen15erer View Post
    Thank you for the response. When I get home I'll get AIDA64 and confirm it. Even if I do confirm it though, how can I go about solving my crashing problem?
    That is for your information only. So that you know why you didn't get Error Code 12 when booting with eGPU connected.

I already said PSU is insufficient which explain why it crashing whenever you tried to run games or benchmarks. Unless you mod your PSU to bridge, let say +12V1 & +12V2, graphic card only draw power from +12V1 which is insufficient for any 3D job. If I'm not mistaken, I already advice you to set the fuse bypass jumper on PE4H. So, I taught you already did that. If you look at Common FAQ5 in eGPU Troubleshooting page, you'll see this:-
    The solution is to set the PE4H 2.4 fuse bypass jumper (near the floppy molex connector).

Notebook Consultant
    My Elite Headquarters (aboard my defiant class starship)

I know that question has been asked before without any answers given... But WHY hasn't anyone made an mxm card to full length pcie x16 adapter?

my mxm type II slot is the fastest on my motherboard, and it makes perfect sense that a person might want to hook up an egpu to that slot!

I wish I was more knowledgeable about this stuff, because I would design one and have it made myself.

ANYONE?!?!?!?!
    Sager NP-8170 | Core i7 2720QM| 8GB | BAD MOBO

Acer Aspire 6920g | Upgraded to Core 2 duo T9500 2.6ghzoverclocked to 3025mhz with setfsb 2.3 + MOBO pin mod (using ThrottleStop) | NVIDIA 9600m GT 512MB DDR3 overclocked to 620/1515/950 (max stresstest temp is 78c pasted with IC diamond) | 4GB DDR2 | 120gb OCZ vertex 3 SSD | windows 7 ultimate | 1080p lcd

Notebook Enthusiast

That is for your information only. So that you know why you didn't get Error Code 12 when booting with eGPU connected.

I already said PSU is insufficient which explain why it crashing whenever you tried to run games or benchmarks. Unless you mod your PSU to bridge, let say +12V1 & +12V2, graphic card only draw power from +12V1 which is insufficient for any 3D job. If I'm not mistaken, I already advice you to set the fuse bypass jumper on PE4H. So, I taught you already did that. If you look at Common FAQ5 in eGPU Troubleshooting page, you'll see this:-
    So on the 2.4 system, I just have to jump the one fuse that is directly behind the floppy, not the two that are to the left of it, because there two to the left look very similar to the ones modded in Panzer's guide.
    Last edited by pen15erer; 20th February 2012 at 06:21 PM.
    Intel i7 820QM
    8gb DDR3

Notebook Enthusiast

Please use latest Verde driver from Modded Drivers section. After installing the Verde driver, did you shutdown your computer? And boot with the same procedure (WIFI attached, press F8, removed WIFI & connect eGPU)? Do you still get Error Code 43? If yes, please try solution in Error43_FAQ1 at eGPU Troubleshooting page.
    Now successful install the driver, no error code, but screen is lagging and when i try run the 3Dmark, laptop screen went black. Please advise.

Lord Pringles

Quote Originally Posted by ajbutch123 View Post
    I know that question has been asked before without any answers given... But WHY hasn't anyone made an mxm card to full length pcie x16 adapter?

my mxm type II slot is the fastest on my motherboard, and it makes perfect sense that a person might want to hook up an egpu to that slot!

I wish I was more knowledgeable about this stuff, because I would design one and have it made myself.

ANYONE?!?!?!?!
    MXM specification is controlled by Nvidia & it is not publicly available. Any company that want to get the specification must be a member of MXM-SIG group.

I can only speculate why no one made a MXM kit yet:-
    1. Don't want to pay fee to become a member of MXM-SIG group. I'm going to assume it's not cheap.
    2. Without MXM specification, the only way is to use reverse engineering method. This is likely violate MXM license since not a member of MXM-SIG group. Can get sued.
    3. MXM is for mobile graphic card. Using it with desktop graphic card is likely violate MXM license. Can get sued.

Not to forget, we also need SBIOS1 support to get eGPU to work with MXM interface.

1 SBIOS: system BIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by pen15erer View Post
    So on the 2.4 system, I just have to jump the one fuse that is directly behind the floppy, not the two that are to the left of it, because there two to the left look very similar to the ones modded in Panzer's guide.
    You don't see a jumper near the floppy power port? You don't need to do Panzer's fuse bypass mod if you have PE4H v2.4 because a jumper already available.

Lord Pringles

Quote Originally Posted by wrise View Post
    ... screen is lagging ...
    Are you using Verde (mobile) driver? What games did you tried? Did you confirm it is running with eGPU, not iGPU? Did you connect eGPU before windows loading?
    Quote Originally Posted by wrise View Post
    ... when i try run the 3Dmark, laptop screen went black. Please advise.
    What is the PSU specification, especially +12V max current? GTS450 power requirement is 106W. So, +12V max current should be around 9A to 10A at least.