Quantcast DIY eGPU experiences - Page 559

Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DIY eGPU experiences

Lord Pringles

Default Re: DIY eGPU experiences

Quote Originally Posted by pappu6600 View Post
    Hello kizwan, the procedure you told for x2 link is for internal lcd use or for external lcd? I'm trying to do it for internal lcd. I'll post all details with screenshot after some time from scratch.

Thanks.
    Yours is non-optimus setup. You'll need to get eGPU working with external monitor first. Then can use internal monitor but only on windowed mode.
    Dell Studio 1557 | Intel Core i7-720QM - CPU Microcode Update Rev 4 | 4GB | dGPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 + eGPU: PowerColor HD 5870
    Asus A42JV/K42JV | Intel Core i5-450M | 4GB DDR3 1066MHz | nVidia GeForce GT 335M 1GB DDR3 with Optimus technology | WLED 1366x768 14"
    Phoenix BIOS MOD Request | Acer Notebook Clock Generators/PLL | Guide to BIOS mod for Dual-IDA

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Kasseev View Post
    So just some general thoughts after a day of using a GTX 560 DCII OC on a 1x EC2C link on an Acer 6920:

Game performance is much smoother despite low 3dmark score of ~5.3k. I can run stuff like Deus Ex maxxed out and have it be smooth EXCEPT when new textures need to load (ie when entering a new zone for the first time); then there is a jagged half second while stuff loads and then smooth again. Is this stuttering an unavoidable consequence of funnelling all data through a x1 link or can I do something to alleviate it? Incidentally, in Setup 1.x I cannot get more than 128 MB free pci allocation space (I had a code 12 initially) without windows crashing at splash screen - so could this low free space have something to do with it?

Also I am having all kinds of issues with DX11 in DA2 - crashes to desktop/BSOD as soon as I enter the main menus. I have tried using nando's inf modded 275.33 and 270.61 nvidia drivers to no avail - same issue both times. EDIT: Add an annoying audio static buzz to the issues... I am sure it is a game specific issue but if anyone else has had it and knows how to fix it I would be much obliged
    The issue with Deus Ex, is 75% game problem, 25% DIY, even with the last patch applied, some players are experiencing stuttering and some lag, when every level load, Square Enix is aware of this issue, and they´re working in a new patch to solve it.

With DA2, I´m afraid if it´s like the first game, no matter which driver you use, the game will sometimes freeze, or showing a blue screen, or shutting off without warning, in DA was an issue with NVIDIA cards, and at least for my 7900gs, was not solved.

Regards.

Notebook Guru

eGPU get detected when I reverse quoted connection? i.e.

- PE4H's PCIe port x2 connected with PM3N (PCIe Port1)
    - PE4H's PCIe port x1 connected with EC2C (PCIe Port2)

I usaually follow below steps:-

# with after 1x setup I mounted v: drive, keeping eGPU off, reboot.

# selected eGPU menu after reboot

# port x2 link selected, power on eGPU. most of the time eGPU doesn't get detected. so plug unplug above connection. hit F5 eGPU gets detected

# run compact on eGPU, chainload mdr. choose xp.

# mount v: drive again after window loads.

# go to device manager, plug unplug above connection. eGPU gets detected as graphic card AMD 6500 Series without yellow exclamation mark(if everything goes right I have installed driver for graphic card).

# Go into display properties shows 4 screen. when extend monitor option is chosen laptop hanged.

This is my progress so far....
    Sorry for my funny english...

I will try again tonight. I think I'm close...

Please review and guide if there is any mistake...

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kizwan View Post
    Do you mean with these connections, eGPU is detected?
    - PE4H's PCIe port x1 connected with PM3N (PCIe Port1)
    - PE4H's PCIe port x2 connected with EC2C (PCIe Port2)

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Khenglish View Post
    What are you using to power the card? I'd try the desktop PSU that you could overclock the card with and see what happens.
    Interesting idea. No matter, as it turns out that I've now gotten it to work now without messing with any of the hardware, and I can't explain why. All I had changed were some power settings in Windows and gotten the latest Windows Updates, then rebooted, and then the software was able to overclock it. Weirdest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallogan View Post
    You can do a low-level vbios flash on a PCi-e 16x slot then put it back as an egpu if software oc does not work.
    Good point. I hadn't thought of doing that. If I ever get stuck in a similar situation, I'll consider it.

As for PSU as the primary thing to check when facing an issue, you should keep in mind that when using an egpu only the 12V rail of the psu is loaded. Then this particular rail can be maxed out easily without overloading the psu global output cause there's not an entire system to supply.
    For example my GTX 560 ti SC is powered by a crappy Heden psu with only 18A on 12V and it runs like a charm.
    Speaking of which, I'm having a separate issue where I'm only pulling about 240 watts max, but my UPS (battery backup) can't handle it. I can't figure out why, as it was working on a desktop rig that required more wattage than this. The only thing I can think of is that the UPS's brand new battery that I recently replaced has prematurely died. The thing is rated at 300W.

Notebook Enthusiast

Right, another success story with the X201 i5-520m with 6GB RAM and all the latest drivers! Windows 7 64-bit Pro, latest NVidia Verde Optimus modded drivers and the latest X201 BIOS and all the latest X201 drivers from Lenovo System Update.

To enable Optimus functionality it is NECESSARY to run Setup1.x via external USB flash drive and do a 32-bit(A) compaction. Otherwise I get Error 12 despite the X201 having a TOLUD of 3.00GB.

GTX 460 1GB from Palit, the Sonic Platinum version, running at 800MHz/2000MHz

I've only tested 3Dm06 so far, scores are below what I expect so any suggestions are most welcome to improve performance.

Internal LCD scores 9072 points at 1280x800
    External HDMI scores 5347 at 1280x1024

I would also like to stress that ALL of the problems that I had were due to INSUFFICIENT POWER. Please make sure you have more than enough power available otherwise you'll waste your time trying to figure out why your system freezes and BSOD's. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Notebook Consultant

I currently run some tests on my desktop and my 5850 to make a pci-express scaling review for this card. I used a P55 board and an oc x3440 (~i7-860S) @3.23GHz. This way it had a 57XX 3dmark06 cpu score and it is sligthly better than an 2820QM.
    I also run tests with only 2 cores enabled to get the best performance (38XX) 2core i5 and i7 mobile processors can do.
    (some 3dmark06 tests were done with 2c and hyperthreading disabled for c2d users instance).
    I used speeds x16 2.0, x2 2.0, x1 2.0 and x1 1.0 (connecting the card to my southbridge which have the same problem as the PM55. It reports PCI-E 2.0 but it only handles 2.5GT/s)

Here are the results

xls file

If any other bench needed ask.
    The results can be added on first page for user referencing.

Last edited by timohour; 12th September 2011 at 12:35 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

More results from the i5-520m X201:

3Dmark06 score with various USB devices attached, BT on, WiFi on, NVidia HD Audio disabled: 12625

3Dmark06 score with NO USB devices attached, BT and WiFi both OFF, NVidia HD Audio disabled: 13694

3Dmark06 with NO USB devices attached, BT and WiFi both OFF, NVidia HD Audio enabled: 13852

The last two results are certainly within margin of error, however I can definitely say with confidence that the score can be increased by reducing all possible PCI bus communications, bear in mind that most USB host controllers run through one of the PCI buses. I will run a few more benchmarks and see if I can replicate the first score by connecting a few devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Harris_M View Post
    More results from the i5-520m X201:

3Dmark06 score with various USB devices attached, BT on, WiFi on, NVidia HD Audio disabled: 12625

3Dmark06 score with NO USB devices attached, BT and WiFi both OFF, NVidia HD Audio disabled: 13694

3Dmark06 with NO USB devices attached, BT and WiFi both OFF, NVidia HD Audio enabled: 13852
    Cool to see that kind of experience! Could you two more test?
    1) with usb diveces and BT/wifi off
    2) without usb devices and bt/wifi on

Quote Originally Posted by timohour View Post
    I currently run some tests on my desktop and my 5850 to make a pci-express scaling review for this card.
    I used speeds x16 2.0, x2 2.0, x1 2.0 and x1 1.0 (connecting the card to my southbridge which have the same problem as the PM55. It reports PCI-E 2.0 but it only handles 2.5GT/s)

If any other bench needed ask.
    Nice to see such tests!

Are there any reason why you didn't do any dx11 benchs? I would prefer games over artificial tests(i.e. 3dmark11).

For my first post this is very demanding, I know

However I've been a keen reader of this forum for some time now - only in periods, though. Some years ago I had an IBM x300 and looked for systems to make it both portable and as an "gaming" laptop when at home. eGPU was very interesting, but I never bought any hardware to make it happen.
    Now, I have an HP Probook 4330s (only i3 unfortunetly), but I'm more keen on making an eGPU solution than back then. However, i'll wait till someone have made a proper pci-e 2.0 solution so my sandybridge will perform the best possible...

Notebook Geek

I opened my laptop yesterday and i didnt find the wifi. Probably it's under the keyborad which i not easy to access.I took some pics, and i will upload them. plz take a look.
    I've already posted my pci devices i'll upload it here again. can you plz see pci devices and tell me where to connect the devices because i dont know how to see if it has devices connected to.

thanks.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Blackett View Post
    This one might solve the pcie 2.0 issue :
    TurboBox-mini, NA221A
    somehow pricey though ...
    Uk Reseller
    Repped. Thanks. Does anyone know if we can get mini hdmi adapters for this cable? The cable seems passive but expensive >$200 US? Or could someone ask hwtools to use this idea?

Much thanks.
    XPS 15 L502x | i7 2720QM | 1080p 15"
    Sony S13P 12GB RAMdisk 640m 13" 1600x900 3.5lb