Quantcast DIY eGPU experiences - Page 349

+ Reply to Thread
Page 349 of 1182 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359399449849 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,490 of 11816
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DIY eGPU experiences

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

I would like to share my experience with ATI video cards and diy vidock. I have been plagued by the "ERROR 12" problem, sometimes I would get it to work right away, sometimes I would spend 1/2 a day on it.

I have tried most of the things described in the 1st post under "ERROR 12", but it was all a waste of time for me.

My solution was installing DNA-AMD GFX 11.2.1. Both 32 and 64 tested. I just plug in the express card, turn on the laptop and the video card will be detected when windows boots up. With this driver am able to have both the internal monitor + the external monitor work at the same time. 100% works every time.

Hope this helps the Ati crowd.

Notebook Enthusiast

where in the forum it says how to do x2 link? I cannot find it in google or somewhere in the faq. I would like to know where the pm3n with the pciemm100 would go so i can have a x2 link or how to tutorial pretty much.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by skylineboi View Post
    where in the forum it says how to do x2 link? I cannot find it in google or somewhere in the faq. I would like to know where the pm3n with the pciemm100 would go so i can have a x2 link or how to tutorial pretty much.
    First post, FAQ #5

Notebook Guru

Hi, i have two questions:

i am able to boot into w7 without any errors on the 460 GTX only if i disable my 8600M GT drivers first...

1. is there some way to get both drivers working simultaneously because without the internal drivers the internal gpu becomes very hot.

2. How do i force the 460 GTX to an external screen when it shows no errors. using the shortcut for the external VGA does not seem to work and through the screen resolution screen also nothing can be set. If i load NVidia control panel it says no display is connected to an nvidia display (possibly because i have disabled the internal drivers)

thanx in advance,

nlooije

Notebook Enthusiast

Seems some people have the same problem with windows seven. For the vidock to work the internal gpu has to be turned off.

There seems to be another case. Other people seem to hot plug the device and under the device manager both gpu runs properly with the only thing that vidock is not giving any output. this allows display setting to direct desktop through the vidock port.

If you windows is not detecting vidock while on internal gnu, try put windows in sleep, turn on vidock without ec or mpcie plugged, then plug the EEC or mpcie. Hit button to wake the pc. Wait couple of minutes for windows detect vidock.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mayklic View Post
    If you windows is not detecting vidock while on internal gnu, try put windows in sleep, turn on vidock without ec or mpcie plugged, then plug the EEC or mpcie. Hit button to wake the pc. Wait couple of minutes for windows detect vidock.
    thx for the reply, hotplugging mPCIE gives me a code 43 error...
    I have the Delay disabled, sleep w7, power Vidock, resume, go to device manager and scan for pnp devices, laptop screen flashes black for a couple of seconds, 460 gtx shows up in device manager but with code 43.

do i have to wait till device manager finds the 460 gtx itself?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by nlooije View Post
    Hi, i have two questions:

i am able to boot into w7 without any errors on the 460 GTX only if i disable my 8600M GT drivers first...

1. is there some way to get both drivers working simultaneously because without the internal drivers the internal gpu becomes very hot.

2. How do i force the 460 GTX to an external screen when it shows no errors. using the shortcut for the external VGA does not seem to work and through the screen resolution screen also nothing can be set. If i load NVidia control panel it says no display is connected to an nvidia display (possibly because i have disabled the internal drivers)

thanx in advance,

nlooije
    I'm trying to remember back when I installed my 460 gtx drivers for the first time. I have an internal 9600m gt. The problem you are having is that only 1 Nvidia driver can be run at a time, and this driver must run both cards for both to work correctly. I might not remember this right, but I think I uninstalled the 9600m driver, then installed a regular Nvidia driver and everything worked fine. If you end up rebooting after uninstalling the driver, make sure you immediately kill the auto driver install in the task manager. Windows will mess up everything. I do remember doing that, but I don't know if the reboot was necessary.

After you get 1 driver working properly you can update the driver normally without having to worry about anything.

To answer your second question, yes you do need the driver running in order to use the external monitor. If I disable my internal card, the external 460 will work fine unless I reboot with the internal card disabled. On reboot, the Nvidia driver will not start and I can only see the internal LCD. The 460 will still be listed as detected and running in the device manager, but i can't do anything with it.

Also there is absolutely no reason to hotplug the 460 if there are not resource issues on boot. Save yourself the effort and just boot with it.

Getting 2 Nvidia cards working correctly seems to be a common problem. Below I have summarized the key idea:
    ONE DRIVER GOOD, 2 DRIVER BAD
    Last edited by Khenglish; 18th April 2011 at 12:53 PM.
    latitude E6520
    2920xm ES (2.4-3.4ghz)
    8GB mem @1866 CAS10
    external GTX 580 @1020/4650

hi, i was wondering if my laptop can run this sort of setup with a 470
    if i just follow the how to would i be fine?
    i have a dell studio 1555 laptop with a expresscard 34 slot
    cpu - p8600 at 2.40ghz
    ram - 4gb
    graphics - ati mobility hd 4500/5100

Banned

Request: C2D Dell Latitude owners with 4GB issues - try a T4xxx or T6xxx CPU instead

As noted here, these systems have TOLUD set to 3.5GB and do not allow 36-bit PCI compaction. The same issue occuring on another MSI system I've been PMed about.

Now the 36-bit PCI IGP or external gpu compaction that I've witnessed does work was on Inspiron 1440 + Studio 15 with a T6xxx 'budget' penryn CPU. I have otherwise been unable to get 36-bit to work on a P8xxx or L9400 'premium' Penryn. Difference being the 'premium' VT-x, TXT, SLFM, IDA, Vpro features + is running 1066Mhz FSB.

So if you have one of these Latitude systems AND have a T42xx or T6xxx 800Mhz FSB Penryn lying around AND are willing to swap it in, that would help identify if something about the CPU itself is causing 36-bit PCI relocation to fail. No amount of changing "nolowmem", "pae", DET in the BCD has helped.

Notebook Enthusiast

Where would Install the pm3n for the x2link? do I have to open all the screws on the back of my laptop to find it or is it in a little section where there are some screws for that particualr part?