Quantcast DIY eGPU experiences - Page 234

+ Reply to Thread
Page 234 of 1182 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284334734 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 11818
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DIY eGPU experiences

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

Hello everyone, first post. I've been following this thread closely for some time while waiting for a PE4H2.4 + EC2C kit to arrive. Testing the 1GB GTX 460 with a T9400 cpu yielded ~5200 3DMarks, which appears to be on par with other non-Optimus Nvidia setups. I'd like to contribute some Optimus data but had a question concerning Nautis' 'universal' drivers. Specifically, are there any other requisites or driver modding that I would need to perform prior to installation? Or are they actually universal?

I have hybrid graphics on board (HD3470/GMA4500), these are the steps I have gathered:

1// Install universal 258.96 drivers with 64-bit Optimus .inf in installation folder
    2// DIY ViDock Setup 1.x > Disable dedicated graphics > chain-load W7
    3// Boot with GTX 460 'on', but without expresscard plugged in
    4// Plug in expresscard after Windows boots
    5// Test

Is there anything missing from this?

Also, if anyone has a PM3N for sale I'd be happy to buy it. I believe a neat cabling solution is in order for the T400/T410 that would negate having to remove the keyboard for testing.

Lenovo ThinkPad T400 | Win 7 x64
    T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4 GB RAM
    Radeon 3470 GPU / Intel GMA4500
    Nvidia GTX 460 1GB (EVGA SC)
    Last edited by apollo-fox; 26th January 2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Add'l info

Notebook Enthusiast

HP ELITEBOOK 6930p t9500 ICH9 Discrete ATI 3450
    XP/w7/DIY Vidock 1.0e6
    PE4H-500W PSU/ ATI HD 6850

HI, thanks Nando for the New Setup Version; Now the status is displayed in Show VideoCard State> atiflash.
    It displays the right PCI and SSI ID, the Bios, a Bart..
    I Noticed the Startup.bat to Edit file is changed, now it diplays a bunch of setpci cmd lines... and the huge shell in the win folder...
    also a nice display switcher app... all ok..
    ...I can't get the chainload work the right way...

New dilemma...
    The chainload boot to XP, not W7 as supposed... same trying to use autostartup.bat. Wrong Os. (Than XP Freezes)
    I deleted the 1.0e5 V. from mbr and Win, and installed 1.0e6. anyway.

Booting with no Chainload it gives me:

Loading w7 after reboot from DIYViDock (Hotplugged) Everest See the 6850 but not in the main VIDEO/PCI/AGP panel..... in devices do.
    The Sys gives the 6850 Bus n.4/0/0 and Port 3. ;IRQ and Memory seems to be ok.
    I-m looking forward to intercept the first Nvidia I Can to Test something else today... any Ideas how to fix the chainload? The 1.0e5 Chainload was working... Help plz..

Notebook Enthusiast

Does anyone have any issues with their ATX switch from HWTools?

It worked for a couple days, then all of a sudden stopped. The PSU doesn't turn on at all if using the switch. I now have to use a paperclip to turn the PSU on to power the PE4H 2.4. This works, but I'd much rather have a working switch!

I contacted BPlus support, and they suggested a higher wattage PSU. I'm using an Antec Basiq 500W, and as I said, it works with the paperclip.

Any thoughts?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by apollo-fox View Post
    Hello everyone, first post. I've been following this thread closely for some time while waiting for a PE4H2.4 + EC2C kit to arrive. Testing the 1GB GTX 460 with a T9400 cpu yielded ~5200 3DMarks, which appears to be on par with other non-Optimus Nvidia setups. I'd like to contribute some Optimus data but had a question concerning Nautis' 'universal' drivers. Specifically, are there any other requisites or driver modding that I would need to perform prior to installation? Or are they actually universal?

I have hybrid graphics on board (HD3470/GMA4500), these are the steps I have gathered:

1// Install universal 258.96 drivers with 64-bit Optimus .inf in installation folder
    5// Test

Is there anything missing from this?

Also, if anyone has a PM3N for sale I'd be happy to buy it. I believe a neat cabling solution is in order for the T400/T410 that would negate having to remove the keyboard for testing.

Lenovo ThinkPad T400 | Win 7 x64
    T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4 GB RAM
    Radeon 3470 GPU / Intel GMA4500
    Nvidia GTX 460 1GB (EVGA SC)
    Got Optimus working on my system and answered my own questions. 3DMark06 score of 11883. The one step I didn't add was to select preferred 'integrated' graphics in the Nvidia control panel. So the setup would be this:

5// Select preferred 'integrated graphics' in Nvidia panel.
    6// Test

Thanks Nando, Nautis et al for your hard work. Will try x2 testing soon if a PM3N pops up!

Last edited by apollo-fox; 26th January 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by apollo-fox View Post
    Thanks Nando, Nautis et al for your hard work. Will try x2 testing soon if a PM3N pops up!
    NVidia have neutered the Optimus performance tweak to only work when a x1 link is detected. Meaning then your x2 setup would be non-Optimus. Performance of x1.Opt versus x2 here shows them quite similar with x1.Opt bettering x2 in 3dmark06 and 3dmarkvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by AzzMan View Post
    It worked for a couple days, then all of a sudden stopped. The PSU doesn't turn on at all if using the switch. I now have to use a paperclip to turn the PSU on to power the PE4H 2.4. This works, but I'd much rather have a working switch!
    Use a small precision screwdriver to enlarge the SWEX pins that the paperclip operates on. The pins may be damaged or are not making correct contact.

Quote Originally Posted by giux787 View Post
    I-m looking forward to intercept the first Nvidia I Can to Test something else today... any Ideas how to fix the chainload? The 1.0e5 Chainload was working... Help plz..
    There has been no change to the grub4dos chainloading \config\menu.* config files b/w version 1.0e5 to 1.0e6.

I would dearly like to see your T9500-2.6 HD6850@x1E benchmark results. The 6930P does use expresscard slot 3 so could do a x1E link.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi, I tryed harder and I got near a solution, ( I hope to )... and sorry, probably I was messing something yest, today chain works.
    compiling config/startup like so:

call iport x2 3
    call waitvid...timeout id...
    call witvid load -d ...id..
    call iport restore
    call iport dedicated off
    call pci
    call grub4dos w7

In Dos the HD6850 is being recognized, A:.....bin missing use gt470.bin dump save successfull... when the call iport dedicated off start
    (SETPCI =.0.0...... ) it freeze.... I will try more config... if anyone had this problem and got through it... thnx anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by giux787 View Post
    compiling config/startup like so:

call iport x2 3
    call waitvid...timeout id...
    call witvid load -d ...id..
    call iport restore
    call iport dedicated off
    call pci
    call grub4dos w7

In Dos the HD6850 is being recognized, A:.....bin missing use gt470.bin dump save successfull... when the call iport dedicated off start
    (SETPCI =.0.0...... ) it freeze
    You only need:
    Code:
    call iport x2 3
    call waitvid [VID:DID of HD6850] 60
    call pci
    call grub4dos w7
    Doing 'iport dedicated off' will freeze your system. That is because it will disable your HD3470, which is your primary video card. That command was designed for disabling the *secondary* video card in a hybrid graphics system to free up resources or reduce the setup complexity.

i have a aspire4520G laptop and PE4H+EC2C. Just brought a gtx465 last week and 550w psu. when i plug in the video card throught expresscard adapter, i can find the GTX465 in device manager and everest. but i couldn't choose it as a main display. i tried to update expresscard driver and VGA driver(forceware260.99) but still not working. it's like the display setting is locked only for the use of originally display card(Geforce 8600M GS)
    is anyone there can help me out
    thanks a million

PS: sometime i can choose gtx465 adpater on "screen resolution" menu. but thing is all the icons,shortcuts and start menu all disappeared. all the cables and wires has been connected properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.gif   2.gif   3.gif  

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Shawny warny View Post
    i have a aspire4520G laptop and PE4H+EC2C. Just brought a gtx465 last week and 550w psu. when i plug in the video card throught expresscard adapter, i can find the GTX465 in device manager and everest. but i couldn't choose it as a main display. i tried to update expresscard driver and VGA driver(forceware260.99) but still not working. it's like the display setting is locked only for the use of originally display card(Geforce 8600M GS)
    is anyone there can help me out
    thanks a million

PS: sometime i can choose gtx465 adpater on "screen resolution" menu. but thing is all the icons,shortcuts and start menu all disappeared. all the cables and wires has been connected properly.
    Try Disabling internal video card

Notebook Evangelist

Anyone know if Sandy Bridge have more bandwidth on the Express slot (Like 2.0 for double bandwitdh)

Also do the current devices we have bought support pcie 2.0 ? (IE we only need to update our laptop)
    Last edited by Mech0z; 15th December 2010 at 07:07 AM.