Quantcast DIY eGPU experiences - Page 201

+ Reply to Thread
Page 201 of 1180 FirstFirst ... 101151191197198199200201202203204205211251301701 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 11794
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DIY eGPU experiences

Banned

Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon View Post
    -Compact ATI HD 2400 in (have tried both Bridges and 32 mode) I get (256)
    -unplugged ViDock and rebooted then plugged vidock in after loggin in
    I get Code 43
    -I have left ViDock plugged in and still get Code 43 which also appears on Richo PCMCIA adapter in Device Manager as well
    In DIY ViDock Setup 1.x you want pci_alloc_valid=yes before chainloading into Win7. Do that by incrementally testing compaction methods below:

1. 36-bit: HD2400
    2. 32-bit: HD2400
    3. 36-bit for the FX2700M and HD2400, force the HD2400 to 32-bit
    4. 32-bit: ALL

I believe (3) won't work as FX2700M probably wants to only be in 32-bit space, but worth a try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by giux787 View Post
    HP Elitebook 6930P
    Than I don't really know know which graphic card I will go for, maybe the GT460 or The Gigabyte ATI5750
    6930P schematic shows port2=wifi and port3=expresscard slot, and is a series-4 chipset so can do x1E tweak, though the wifi card will not work concurrently in that mode. x1E means ATI is still an option. Onboard HD3450 means no NVidia Optimus. So review the ATI and NVidia back-to-back benchmarking results and decide for yourself if want ATI or NVidia. If it was my system, I'd go a NVidia GTX460 and seek ways to get Optimus or x2 working to get higher performance Or could wish for NVidia roll the Optimus performance tweaks into the desktop driver. IF NVidia did that then there would be no reason to go an ATI solution at x1 1.0 bandwidths.
    Last edited by User Retired 2; 29th October 2010 at 06:39 PM.

Thank you for the fast reply! You are correct in saying: (2) won't work as FX2700M probably wants to only be in 32-bit space because it always reverts back! When I try the chainloading, I just get a blinking cursor. Is my problem due to a dual boot scenario? Windows7/64 and WindowsXP/64 and I should remove one OS?

Banned

When I try the chainloading, I just get a blinking cursor. Is my problem due to a dual boot scenario? Windows7/64 and WindowsXP/64 and I should remove one OS?
    This is confusing. Have you followed the instructions to get chainloading working? Ensure you can chainload to Win7 first. Then try the various PCI compaction methods. Your dual-boot setup likely requires altering the default parameters in the config files. The Setup 1.x environment providing all the menuitems and grub4dos help text necessary to get that done.

Tried the following:

1.NVidia (onboard) 32MB works

1. 36-bit: HD2400 (256MB)
    2. 32-bit: HD2400 (256MB)
    3. 36-bit for the FX2700M and HD2400, force the HD2400 to 32-bit (32MB)
    4. 32-bit: ALL (No solution found!)

Chainload gives me:
    STOP c000007b {Bad Image} The application or DLL \??\C:\Windows\System32\sfcfiles.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation disket.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by nando4 View Post
    ATI versus NVidia back-to-back benchmarking

HD5750 versus GTX470 on x1 and x2 links (i5-430M 2.26, nando4)
    HD5750 versus GTX460 on x1/x1E links (T9300-2.5, ithildin)
    HD5750 versus GTX470 on x1, x1E, x1.Opt and x2 links (T2050/U7600/T6600, nando4)
    Hmm.

I have followed both of the two installation directions for the Nvidia Optimus drivers for my apples-to-apples HD6850 vs GTX470 test but once installed they do not have the extra Optimus features following either set of directions. It just looks like the regular Nvidia control panel without the extra options from the video that Nautis posted.

Any suggestions?

Without Optimus enabled the GTX470 performs horribly in 3DMark2006...
    Desktop: Shuttle XPC, Core i7-920, 16GB DDR3, 120GB SSD, GeForce 470GTX, Win 7 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E4310, Core i5-520M, 4GB Ram, 96GB SSD, DIY Vidock w. GeForce GTX460, Win 7 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10
    NAS/SFTP Server: Athlon 64 X2 3250e (1.5Ghz), 2GB DDR2-800, DROBO S 7.25TB, dual disk redundancy, Ubuntu 10.04LTS Server

Banned

Chainload gives me:
    STOP c000007b {Bad Image} The application or DLL \??\C:\Windows\System32\sfcfiles.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation disket.
    1. Ensure chainloading works prior to performing PCI compaction.
    2. The selective compaction is relative to the existing PCI space configuration. Suggest reboot b/w trying the different PCI compaction methods to get an accurate result.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    .. but once installed they do not have the extra Optimus features following either set of directions. It just looks like the regular Nvidia control panel without the extra options from the video that Nautis posted.

Any suggestions?
    Did you at any point load the standard desktop driver? I had to resort to cleaning all remnants of it and it's registry settings with Driver Sweeper, then load the Optimus driver to get it Optimus enhancements activated. Optimus will be activated when the NVidia Manage 3D panel gives you a Preferred Graphics processor option as shown.

Optimus will more than double the 3dmark06 score, panning the Return To Proxycon scene with the same smoothness as your HD6850.
    Last edited by User Retired 2; 29th October 2010 at 08:31 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Pardon my lack of understanding, but is the HP DV6tse capable of doing a DIY Vidock. Does it have a mPCIe capable of it since it lacks the ExpressCard slot? Same goes for the ENVY 14?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by nando4 View Post
    Did you at any point load the standard desktop driver? I had to resort to cleaning all remnants of it and it's registry settings with Driver Sweeper, then load the Optimus driver to get it Optimus enhancements activated. Optimus will be activated when the NVidia Manage 3D panel gives you a Preferred Graphics processor option as shown.

Optimus will more than double the 3dmark06 score, panning the Return To Proxycon scene with the same smoothness as your HD6850.
    Nope, no Nvidia drivers had ever been on this computer prior to today.

I did - however - make one mistake. I didn't realize you needed drivers with the special .INF file so the first time I installed it, I got the Optimus drivers directly from the Nvidia.

When I realized my mistake after it didn't work, I uninstalled those drivers, rebooted, ran Guru3d's Driver Sweeper to clean things up, and then reinstalled the drivers here with the proper .INF file. Still no success.

I can not justify paying money for driver sweeper right now. I'm going to try reinstalling a few more times, but I am about ready to give up on Optimus, and without it, the GTX470 is very sluggish, and not even worth benchmarking.
    Desktop: Shuttle XPC, Core i7-920, 16GB DDR3, 120GB SSD, GeForce 470GTX, Win 7 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E4310, Core i5-520M, 4GB Ram, 96GB SSD, DIY Vidock w. GeForce GTX460, Win 7 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10
    NAS/SFTP Server: Athlon 64 X2 3250e (1.5Ghz), 2GB DDR2-800, DROBO S 7.25TB, dual disk redundancy, Ubuntu 10.04LTS Server

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    Nope, no Nvidia drivers had ever been on this computer prior to today.

I did - however - make one mistake. I didn't realize you needed drivers with the special .INF file so the first time I installed it, I got the Optimus drivers directly from the Nvidia.

When I realized my mistake after it didn't work, I uninstalled those drivers, rebooted, ran Guru3d's Driver Sweeper to clean things up, and then reinstalled the drivers here with the proper .INF file. Still no success.

I can not justify paying money for driver sweeper right now. I'm going to try reinstalling a few more times, but I am about ready to give up on Optimus, and without it, the GTX470 is very sluggish, and not even worth benchmarking.
    I think I may have discovered the reason for the problem, but I am not quite sure how to fix it.

When I start up the laptop with the diy vidock connected, the "Intel HD Graphics" is no longer in the Device Manager.

My guess is the BIOS is being smart and realizing that it does not have enough address space for both and disables the internal IGP. Since Optimus ties together the two GPU's, I'd imagine it wouldn't work without the Intel HD Graphics there.

Any suggestions for how I may be able to fix this?

I have completely removed Windows XP from dual boot and now only have Windows7/64. When I try chainload it starts a Windows XP screen and I get autochk program not found and a STOP c000021a Fatal System Error. How do I make sure this is working correctly? What do I need to change in
    GRUB4DOS.bat if anything? Sorry...I just don't get this!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    @echo off
    echo.
    if NOT "%1"=="" goto start
    :usage
    echo Usage: grub4dos [w7 mbr xp]
    echo.
    echo w7 - Chainload Windows 7 or Vista (bootmgr)
    echo xp - Chainload Windows XP (ntldr)
    echo mbr - Chainload Linux, or if above two items don't work
    echo.
    goto exit

:start
    :: convert commandline to lowercase
    echo %1 | lmod [l] | varset par1 read 0

:grub_start
    if not "%RAMD%"=="" set DRIVE=%RAMD%
    if "%DRIVE%" =="" set DRIVE=%DRV%
    set conf_file=%DRIVE%:\config\menu.%par1%
    if "%par1%"=="xp" grub --config-file="%conf_file%"
    if "%par1%"=="w7" grub --config-file="%conf_file%"
    if "%par1%"=="mbr" grub --config-file="%conf_file%"
    if "%cmd%"=="" echo ERROR: wrong commandline
    if "%cmd%"=="" goto usage
    %cmd%
    echo If you are here then chainloading failed. Please edit
    echo '%conf_file%', with settings suitable for your system.
    echo Then retry chainloading with '%cmd%'.
    pause

:cleanup
    set par1=
    set drive=

:exit