Quantcast DIY eGPU experiences - Page 183

Like Tree5Likes

Thread: DIY eGPU experiences

Banned

Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by BadTad View Post
    Has anyone had success with an ICH6 based board?
    Your zd8000 has only the expresscard slot on the pci-e bus as shown by the schematic so could only do a x1 1.0 link. Also the onboard X600 is a legacy device without WDM 1.1 support so would need an ATI card covered by the same driver set to work with Vista/Win7 OR revert to using XP and/or Win7 with XP drivers and tinkering as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shining.at View Post
    when u mean full benchmarks, what benchmarks are u missing? re5?
    FUll benchmarks = RE5/dmcv4/3dmark06/3dmark vantage ones on the first post of this thread.

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Please post your DIY ViDock pics.!!!

I'm wondering what PSU is this? Is it a Meanwell one? I am looking for a compact one like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddious View Post
    Racco AssorterPE4H+HD5850+180W PSU

Having problems with graphics display on Final Fantasy XIV,errors: texture stretching.Is there any way to resolve this ? adjusting game configuration,Nvidia display configuration,& latest driver updates has not helped resolve graphics display issue in FF XIV.Game runs smooth,only texture stretching errors; graphics function normally for first 30 seconds or so,texture glitches occur soon after.help yes?

system specs/setup :
    Sony VAIO laptop
    Intel® Core™ i5-540M processor
    (2.53GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
    OS Windows 7 64-bit
    connected through : express card slot to PE4H-EC2C
    Grahpics card : into a N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC 1GB
    Powered by : TR2 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply
    Screen connection : Wide LCD monitor through DCMI to VGA output (HDMI tested as well)

DIY ViDock experience :
    Fast plug & play setup,mild inconsistency in device recognition,
    need longer mini HDMI plug for express card to PE4H.
    Most nerdy thing i have ever done,but excite !like building robot that sucks 600w of power.

http://markpichay.tumblr.com/post/12...ure-stretching
    Last edited by MarkPichay; 10th October 2010 at 06:37 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by MarkPichay View Post
    does that happen in fullscreen mode also?
    Laptop: Inspiron 1505, 1.66 Core Duo, 3GB RAM, external XFX Radeon 5750 1GB + PE4L, 23" 1920x1080
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu bakes Amazon search results into OS to raise cash

Quote Originally Posted by key001 View Post
    does that happen in fullscreen mode also?
    Yup,in full screen too,resolution 1600 x 900 to match the screen.Its odd,crispy clear for first couple of seconds,once you start navigating about it starts.Almost like clockwork.

Quote Originally Posted by nando4 View Post
    3. Can I make this use my notebooks LCD display?

[To paraphrase: only with difficulty and a performance hit]
    (New member, by the way; joined specifically for this discussion)

I'm running an Asus G1s, and the case design makes it the easiest thing in the world to expose the lvds connection for the display, without opening up anything else. I'm thinking I could just grab the appropriate controller off ebay as discussed here (but mounting it to the external GPU setup rather than the notebook case) and physically plug into it. Looks like it would run about $30 to add this to the whole setup - maybe it is a useful solution for other people, too?

I can free up two mPCI-e slots by replacing the wireless with a usb adapter hidden in the ODD bay (seriously, who even uses optical media? ) and ditching the turbo memory (not so useful, as I switch OS every couple of boots).

If I end up with multiple mPCI-e slots available, plus the ExpressCard, how realistic would it be for me to put some less power-hungry onboard graphics in there somewhere (additional to the DIY ViDock hookup) so that I never have to run the 8600m?

Edit: After disassembly/reassembly, I am left with one (1) screw extra. Clearly there is unnecessary redundancy in this model. Even better, the disassembly guide I used shows a picture with 17 screws clearly indicated, but tells me to remove 18. Apparently I achieved this impossibility.
    Last edited by cdavie5; 5th October 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Notebook Guru

Has anyone found a way to remove/hide the Optimus watermark?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MarkPichay View Post
    Having problems with graphics display on Final Fantasy XIV,errors: texture stretching.Is there any way to resolve this ? adjusting game configuration,Nvidia display configuration,& latest driver updates has not helped resolve graphics display issue in FF XIV.Game runs smooth,only texture stretching errors; graphics function normally for first 30 seconds or so,texture glitches occur soon after.help yes?

system specs/setup :
    Sony VAIO laptop
    Intel® Core™ i5-540M processor
    (2.53GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
    OS Windows 7 64-bit
    connected through : express card slot to PE4H-EC2C
    Grahpics card : into a N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC 1GB