Quantcast DIY eGPU experiences - Page 183

Like Tree5Likes

Thread: DIY eGPU experiences

  1. #1821
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    YellowBrickRd.AU
    Posts
    7,897
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by BadTad View Post
    Has anyone had success with an ICH6 based board?
    Your zd8000 has only the expresscard slot on the pci-e bus as shown by the schematic so could only do a x1 1.0 link. Also the onboard X600 is a legacy device without WDM 1.1 support so would need an ATI card covered by the same driver set to work with Vista/Win7 OR revert to using XP and/or Win7 with XP drivers and tinkering as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by shining.at View Post
    when u mean full benchmarks, what benchmarks are u missing? re5?
    FUll benchmarks = RE5/dmcv4/3dmark06/3dmark vantage ones on the first post of this thread.

  2. #1822
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Please post your DIY ViDock pics.!!!

    I'm wondering what PSU is this? Is it a Meanwell one? I am looking for a compact one like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oddious View Post
    Racco AssorterPE4H+HD5850+180W PSU



  3. #1823
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

    Having problems with graphics display on Final Fantasy XIV,errors: texture stretching.Is there any way to resolve this ? adjusting game configuration,Nvidia display configuration,& latest driver updates has not helped resolve graphics display issue in FF XIV.Game runs smooth,only texture stretching errors; graphics function normally for first 30 seconds or so,texture glitches occur soon after.help yes?

    system specs/setup :
    Sony VAIO laptop
    Intel® Core™ i5-540M processor
    (2.53GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
    OS Windows 7 64-bit
    connected through : express card slot to PE4H-EC2C
    Grahpics card : into a N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC 1GB
    Powered by : TR2 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply
    Screen connection : Wide LCD monitor through DCMI to VGA output (HDMI tested as well)

    DIY ViDock experience :
    Fast plug & play setup,mild inconsistency in device recognition,
    need longer mini HDMI plug for express card to PE4H.
    Most nerdy thing i have ever done,but excite !like building robot that sucks 600w of power.

    http://markpichay.tumblr.com/post/12...ure-stretching
    Last edited by MarkPichay; 10th October 2010 at 06:37 PM.

  4. #1824
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lolcation
    Posts
    657
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPichay View Post
    does that happen in fullscreen mode also?
    Laptop: Inspiron 1505, 1.66 Core Duo, 3GB RAM, external XFX Radeon 5750 1GB + PE4L, 23" 1920x1080
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu bakes Amazon search results into OS to raise cash

  5. #1825
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by key001 View Post
    does that happen in fullscreen mode also?
    Yup,in full screen too,resolution 1600 x 900 to match the screen.Its odd,crispy clear for first couple of seconds,once you start navigating about it starts.Almost like clockwork.

  6. #1826
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by nando4 View Post
    3. Can I make this use my notebooks LCD display?

    [To paraphrase: only with difficulty and a performance hit]
    (New member, by the way; joined specifically for this discussion)

    I'm running an Asus G1s, and the case design makes it the easiest thing in the world to expose the lvds connection for the display, without opening up anything else. I'm thinking I could just grab the appropriate controller off ebay as discussed here (but mounting it to the external GPU setup rather than the notebook case) and physically plug into it. Looks like it would run about $30 to add this to the whole setup - maybe it is a useful solution for other people, too?

    I can free up two mPCI-e slots by replacing the wireless with a usb adapter hidden in the ODD bay (seriously, who even uses optical media? ) and ditching the turbo memory (not so useful, as I switch OS every couple of boots).

    If I end up with multiple mPCI-e slots available, plus the ExpressCard, how realistic would it be for me to put some less power-hungry onboard graphics in there somewhere (additional to the DIY ViDock hookup) so that I never have to run the 8600m?

    Edit: After disassembly/reassembly, I am left with one (1) screw extra. Clearly there is unnecessary redundancy in this model. Even better, the disassembly guide I used shows a picture with 17 screws clearly indicated, but tells me to remove 18. Apparently I achieved this impossibility.
    Last edited by cdavie5; 5th October 2010 at 03:34 PM.

  7. #1827
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

    Has anyone found a way to remove/hide the Optimus watermark?

  8. #1828
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPichay View Post
    Having problems with graphics display on Final Fantasy XIV,errors: texture stretching.Is there any way to resolve this ? adjusting game configuration,Nvidia display configuration,& latest driver updates has not helped resolve graphics display issue in FF XIV.Game runs smooth,only texture stretching errors; graphics function normally for first 30 seconds or so,texture glitches occur soon after.help yes?

    system specs/setup :
    Sony VAIO laptop
    Intel® Core™ i5-540M processor
    (2.53GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
    OS Windows 7 64-bit
    connected through : express card slot to PE4H-EC2C
    Grahpics card : into a N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC 1GB
    Powered by : TR2 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply
    Screen connection : Wide LCD monitor through DCMI to VGA output (HDMI tested as well)

    DIY ViDock experience :
    Fast plug & play setup,mild inconsistency in device recognition,
    need longer mini HDMI plug for express card to PE4H.
    Most nerdy thing i have ever done,but excite !like building robot that sucks 600w of power.

    I have had this same problem and thought that it was a result of a defective video card. Whenever I played SC2 I got a paged pool error. I have posted a screenshot or two about this as well. I actually RMA'd my card thinking it was defective.

    Ran multiple tests, all passed, but when I play games they become unplayable.

    I have no idea what could be causing this problem, I did not have a desktop to test this out.

    I'll have my card back in about......2 weeks.......

    Anyways, I have a GTS 450 if that makes a difference at all. I tried everything you did probably. I even bought a new PSU. Made no difference at all.

    Edit: After seeing a few others that have this problem, I believe it may indeed be the driver. Some users on the FF14 forum have installed Driver Sweeper, Uninstalled Drivers through Add/Remove, Ran Driver Sweeper, Restart, Installed driver (again.), Restart. I've personally tried this and it did not work. (As well as many other ways.)

    Edit 2:"Fast plug & play setup,mild inconsistency in device recognition"
    Mine is also done in the same manor with the same inconsistency, but with PE4L-EC2C. Just added to note that we both have done somewhat, the same thing.
    Last edited by Soyaku; 6th October 2010 at 11:34 AM.

  9. #1829
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

    I am wondering, I have a Acer 1410 SU3500 with 4500HD IGP, it currently is running starcraft 2 at around 10-15 fps all settings set to low. Would it help if I got a GTX 450/460 hooked up to it? Or the bottleneck is currently my CPU? I don't mind leaving everything to low if needed.

  10. #1830
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    YellowBrickRd.AU
    Posts
    7,897
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: DIY ViDock Experiences

    Quote Originally Posted by cdavie5 View Post
    (New member, by the way; joined specifically for this discussion)

    I'm running an Asus G1s, and the case design makes it the easiest thing in the world to expose the lvds connection for the display, without opening up anything else.
    .

    A lot of effort and may indeed be possible. For the effort and cost I'd recommend just selling the system and getting a Dell E4310/E6410/E6510 and doing a x2 1.0 Optimus setup. Will outperform the G1s and give a stack of portability. They were selling for US$500 at the Dell Outlet a week ago. Expect more good deals like that as we approach the release of Sandy Bridge platform notebooks (Q1 2011).

    Quote Originally Posted by K5Doom View Post
    Has anyone found a way to remove/hide the Optimus watermark?
    Don't have a solution yet. It's a problem dogging wner's of notebooks with retrofit Optimus solutions have as well. The watermark looks to be a DirectX overlay so if it was possible to hijaak that then perhaps it could be disabled.

    Quote Originally Posted by K5Doom View Post
    I am wondering, I have a Acer 1410 SU3500 with 4500HD IGP, it currently is running starcraft 2 at around 10-15 fps all settings set to low. Would it help if I got a GTX 450/460 hooked up to it? Or the bottleneck is currently my CPU? I don't mind leaving everything to low if needed.
    If can access the mPCIe wifi slot then could do a PE4L-PM3N or PE4H-PM3N setup. The 4500HD IGP unlocking Optimus, so a GTX460 would see your SCII performance increase substantially. If CPU is bottlenecking you then consider Inteks has his SU3500 1810T overclocked to 1.7-1.85Ghz. See details here and Gaylord Fister is running 1066Mhz FSB here by doing a FSLx+BSEL pinmod.
    Last edited by User Retired 2; 6th October 2010 at 10:44 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1