Page 12 of 1182 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622621125121012 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DIY eGPU experiences

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: DIY ViDock - My experiences so far

has anyone successfully got the PE4H to work on X2

Notebook Evangelist

specifically you need to connect green wire with any black wire, google for pinouts if in doubt
    Laptop: Inspiron 1505, 1.66 Core Duo, 3GB RAM, external XFX Radeon 5750 1GB + PE4L, 23" 1920x1080
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu bakes Amazon search results into OS to raise cash

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi Nando. Thanks for the support I will try that. When I do this will that area be electrified or?
    Are you noob to this discussion?

Want to save time? Understand the DIY project QUICKER,FASTER,BETTER? Go below for a summarized update

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show....php?p=5324240

"A real relief because it was quicker to get up to date on what I needed 2 know."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eye0fHoruS View Post
    Hi Nando. Thanks for the support I will try that. When I do this will that area be electrified or?
    Using the paperclip trick to turn on the ATX PSU

Connectiong PS_ON (green) to COM (black) on the ATX motherboard plug using a paperclip as shown here turns the power supply on. Means the 12V/pci-e power outputs will then be active.

If leave the paperclip attached in this way then when you connect attach the mains cable into the PSU, it will become active. If that's a bother, then can replace the paperclip with a small on/off switch OR have a switched mains lead into the PSU as Max_Headroom has. Shown here.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbond007 View Post
    has anyone successfully got the PE4H to work on X2
    No one has reported a successful x2 1.0 implementation as yet using a PE4H.
    Last edited by User Retired 2; 21st December 2009 at 05:01 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Could this paper clip technique blow up the PSU?

Also how dangerous is this?
    Are you noob to this discussion?

Want to save time? Understand the DIY project QUICKER,FASTER,BETTER? Go below for a summarized update

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show....php?p=5324240

"A real relief because it was quicker to get up to date on what I needed 2 know."

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Eye0fHoruS View Post
    Could this paper clip technique blow up the PSU?

Also how dangerous is this?
    Its not dangerous at all, if connected to a motherboard it does the same thing when you turn your computer on. Theres also no danger in working with 12v either, you could grab + and - leads and would not be electrocuted...

Once you get to around 50v+ there's the possibility of being electrocuted in general...

Both lights on the PE4H should turn on after you do this and the fan on the GPU will turn on as well...
    Last edited by Scott1620; 22nd December 2009 at 02:43 PM.
    Dell XPS 1530, T9300, 4 Gig ram, 8600m GT, 1680x1050 screen
    x64 Windows 7
    Running an external desktop video card when gaming (ATI 5770) Details here

I dun really understand all this stuff but i want to ask whether my acer ferrari one which has an ATI XGP port can be used and how can it be used. Hope someone would explain wat i shuld buy to make it possible that i link my laptop to an external display via a boost of external graphic card.

My Studio PM55 i7 720qm has been shipped so it will be available for testing and I could probably get a 2 video cards for testing if there is any speed improvement on the PM55 now I only need a PE4H or PE4L to try it out...
    Maybe MexicanSnake can lend me his PE4L to do some bench marks wink wink elbow wink

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Headroom View Post
    I'm using a HD 5850 (max power 150 W) with the PE4H, powering both using a 12 V 15 A power supply (180 W) that I got for $33 from an eBay seller from Hong Kong. I've mounted everything in a Raaco Assorter 13 case ($27) that I got at Clas Ohlson, a Scandinavian hardware/electronics chain. (I'm of course keeping the lid open whenever the card is powered on)[/SIZE]
    could you give me more data on the power supply use?

thx

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by GeekInSaNe View Post
    could you give me more data on the power supply use?
    It's a no-name regulated switching power supply from Hong Kong, sold at eBay for $33, free shipping. It is not an ATX computer power supply, and only provides a 12 V output at 15 A (180 W). It is much smaller than standard ATX supplies because it omits the 5 V and 3.3 V outputs, and the 12 V output is weaker. As my graphics card draws about 150 W on maximum power, this is just about perfect.

The power supply contains a switch to select 110 V or 230 V operation. It is fanless, and can be used with grounded or ungrounded power outlets. I used standard cable lugs to fasten the cables to the input and output terminals of the power supply.

I've had time to test the power supply and external graphics card thoroughly during the last couple of weeks. The setup has worked perfectly, even for long continuous gaming sessions of up to 12 hours.

If you need more power, try searching for 12v 18a on eBay. You'll find some nice looking Dell thin client power supplies (216 W). I went with the lower rated 180 W supply because it was much cheaper for me when shipping cost was taken into account. (If you live in the US you'll probably get cheaper shipping though)