Quantcast Is it safe to remove battery while AC is on?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Is it safe to remove battery while AC is on?

Hi, is it safe to take off the battery while the AC is connected and while the computer is off? What if i take the battery out while the AC is connected on a running computer? Will it have any bad effect on my laptop?

Also, when i charge my battery with my laptop is off, how do i know when the batt is fully charged already?

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Is it safe to remove battery while AC is on?

when charging the laptop, the green light under the battery icon while be a steady green. But when the green is blinking, every few seconds or so, it means the battery is completly charged.

As for taking out the battery, you can take it out, which would help with weight, but dust may get into the contacts, which may cause battery issues in the end. (not fire!! or explode!) hehe
    Apple Macbook 2.0 GHz

2.0 GHz, White, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Superdrive

Dell 6400:

XP Home, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz, XGA w/ TrueLife, 1GB DDR2, 120GB 5400RPM HD, ATI X1400 256MB, 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), Integrated Audio, Intel PRO3945 Wireless, 9-cell Lithium

The Random Guy

Quote Originally Posted by bjdelro
    Also, when i charge my battery with my laptop is off, how do i know when the batt is fully charged already?
    This is different in every notebook. It may be the same for most Dell's, but other manufactuers choose different ways of displaying the battery status. For example, on my notebook, the battery is charging when the battery LED is amber, and flashes every 2 secods or so. It is fully charged when the battery LED turns green, and never flashes. Totally the opposite of what aznkid has said.

Read your notebook manual. It should say what type of colour LED system they use, to show the status of the battery.
    FSC Amilo XI 1546

Intel Core Duo T2400
    2 GB DDR2 Corsair RAM
    ATI Mobility X1800
    17" WXGA+ CrystalView Display
    500GB Hitachi GST 7K500 + 100GB Hitachi GST 7K200
    Windows 7 Professional
    External Display: LG 24" LCD 1920x1080 HAS

super modfu

safe and totally unnecessary

Notebook Consultant

Thanks guys!

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    This is different in every notebook. It may be the same for most Dell's, but other manufactuers choose different ways of displaying the battery status. For example, on my notebook, the battery is charging when the battery LED is amber, and flashes every 2 secods or so. It is fully charged when the battery LED turns green, and never flashes. Totally the opposite of what aznkid has said.

Read your notebook manual. It should say what type of colour LED system they use, to show the status of the battery.

well he was asking this question in the DELL forum, so thats how most dells operate.
    Apple Macbook 2.0 GHz

2.0 GHz, White, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Superdrive

Dell 6400:

XP Home, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz, XGA w/ TrueLife, 1GB DDR2, 120GB 5400RPM HD, ATI X1400 256MB, 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), Integrated Audio, Intel PRO3945 Wireless, 9-cell Lithium