Quantcast Inspiron E1505 has weird keyboard issues

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Inspiron E1505 has weird keyboard issues

Okay I have only had my inspirion for a month or less. So far it's been fantabulous except a couple things.

1. The Fn+ F10 combo just doesn't work. I've tried reinstalling that quickset thing that is supposed to control those keyboard shortcuts to no avail.Most of the other Fn keys don't work as well---although the one controlling brightness does. This hasn't worked since I got it--at least not that I know of. I thought it might be because i went on an uninstall rampage when i got it trying to get rid of all the crap dell bundled...but after reinstalling the quickset as Dell support suggested I don't know if this is the problem.(It was never uninstalled...I just wonder if when I was uninstalling I messed something up? Hate to to a reinstall of Windows just for this...)

2.Sometimes a weird issue with scrolling will start happening. Basically, scroll up seems..stuck? I will be viewing a web page and trying to scroll down using the trackpad and it will automatically start scrolling up. Or, when opening a new web page, the site will automatically go to really itty bitty font size---like youre holding control & the scroll wheel(but I'm not touching anything.) Rebooting fixes this problem, but when the problem is occuring I've tried holding down both control keys and making sure sticky keys wasn't enabled (it wasn't) but none of those worked.

2. Lastly, why does MSN messenger launch when I hit Fn+up? This also controls brightness but I dont konw why it launches that as well. This might be unrelated and has to do with only a checkbox. This is the least of my problems, however.

I'm totally up for any suggestions, Everyone's help is appreciated VERY MUCH!

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Inspiron E1505 has weird keyboard issues

Heh, that post made me think of a doctor's office when the doctor taps the knee with the hammer and the arm shoots up. Something's screwy, however, I don't know what it is.
    STILL ALIVE AND KICKING 7 YEARS LATER:

e1705 | Core Duo t2500 [2GHz] | 60GB Int + 320GB Ext 7200RPM hard drive| nVidia geforce 7900 GS 256 MB [OC'd to 450:1100] | 17" glossy (1920x1200) | 2GB 667 DDR2 Corsair | Wireless and Bluetooth

06: 4034 05: 7343

Notebook Enthusiast

lol indeed it is.

Oh, and I like your sig. I couldn't believe I got talked into getting a dell either hahaha.

Notebook Evangelist

My first post on here was hardcore pro AMD turion.....and....I was too weak....I converted.

But this is getting off topic...lets see if someone can actually help you out.
    STILL ALIVE AND KICKING 7 YEARS LATER:

e1705 | Core Duo t2500 [2GHz] | 60GB Int + 320GB Ext 7200RPM hard drive| nVidia geforce 7900 GS 256 MB [OC'd to 450:1100] | 17" glossy (1920x1200) | 2GB 667 DDR2 Corsair | Wireless and Bluetooth

06: 4034 05: 7343

Notebook Enthusiast

yeah Doesn't look like there are a plethera of ideas though...

I'm up for any suggestions, even if theyre out there!

Notebook Prophet

Think a lot of us can't figure out how we got talked into a dell, but that is beside the point

1.) is Quickset running? It can be installed, and the FN keys still won't work. It has to actually be started and running (should see the QS in your systray).

2.) try updating your touchpad drivers (located in the input category on support.dell.com under "Drivers & Downloads). Also, you can adjust your sensitivty settings.

3.) no idea

Reformat and start again.

Sounds like some program is stealing the Fn key combo presses before the QuickSet program gets them. I think this is especially likely as you say that MSN messenger pops up when you press Fn+up.

Notebook Consultant

1) I would trying reinstalling Quickset and turning it on as Souther Girl had said. I would also go into the bios and check the FN setting. I believe I saw something regarding with the FN button when I looked in the bios.

2) Reinstall the TouchPad driver and go to control panel and look at the keyboard and mice settings, make sure your settings are correct.

3) Don't know. I never had problems.

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks so much everyone I really appreciate all the replies.

Southern Girl--
    Yes quickset is installed and running in control panel. I have already reinstalled. I also just reinstalled the touchpad driver, but since the problem is sporadic, I don't know if that has fixed problem #2.

geometrikal--
    I too figure formatting would fix the problem, but at this point that will be my last resort. The thought that perhaps another program is trying to control keyboard shortcuts is a good thought though, I have no idea what program that might be...

kguo7--
    I've already tried reinstalling quickset. That didn't work. I will check the bios for anything regarding Fn keys....I'm not super advanced in that dept. but I'll give it ago.

Thanks again everyone...any other suggestions are much appreciated. Also I wonder...is anyone else having/ever had this problem???

Notebook Evangelist

R u running NHC (Notebook Hardware Control), because it might be the problem. If u r running it make sure u have the "Use alternative function to detect the actual 'System Power Status'" checked to do that open the Notebook Hardware Control > Select Battery Tab > Click on Show advance battery settings.

Other than that u might need to call Dell for support
    Last edited by mbushnaq00; 8th August 2006 at 08:24 PM.
    Dell Inspiron 7537
    Core i7 4500U 1.8Ghz - 3.0Ghz | Win8.1 64bit | 1920x1080 | NVIDIA GT750m 2GB | KINGSTON 240GB SSD | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast