Quantcast Dell Outlet - How bad is "scratch & dent"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist
    Silicon Valley - where technology is from

Default Dell Outlet - How bad is "scratch & dent"?

Just saw a really cool Dell computer I like for sale on the Dell outlet. Might want to get it, but it says "scratch & dent". Does anyone have experience buying from the Dell outlet? Did you ever buy one that said "scratch & dent"? Would it just be a stupid idea to buy a computer that says that...?
    and
    Apple MacBook Pro | 15-inch 2880x1800 Retina display | Core i7 2.3-3.3 GHz | 256 GB SSD | 8 GB RAM

Phone: Apple iPhone 5S - Gold Camera: Fujifilm HS35EXR | Nikon P7100

NBR Moderator

Default Re: Dell Outlet - How bad is "scratch & dent"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ichinenjuu View Post
    Just saw a really cool Dell computer I like for sale on the Dell outlet. Might want to get it, but it says "scratch & dent". Does anyone have experience buying from the Dell outlet? Did you ever buy one that said "scratch & dent"? Would it just be a stupid idea to buy a computer that says that...?
    It is indeed scratched up and dented.

I mean, cosmetically it should be a problem if you are looking for a perfect computer, but functionally it should work great.
    ThinkPad T420 | i3 2310M | NVS 4200M | 8GB 1.35V | 14" 900p

Notebook Evangelist

Yeah, that probably would bug me. I can deal with a couple scratches...but a "dent" sounds pretty bad.

And nevermind anyway, it's gone, someone got it. I'd go mad watching the outlet store for a computer I like to show up...it'd be gone in a few minutes...
    and
    Apple MacBook Pro | 15-inch 2880x1800 Retina display | Core i7 2.3-3.3 GHz | 256 GB SSD | 8 GB RAM

NBR Moderator

New inventory drops 40min after the hour, like now.
    ThinkPad T420 | i3 2310M | NVS 4200M | 8GB 1.35V | 14" 900p

Notebook Evangelist

Well, I'll keep my eye out.
    and

Notebook Evangelist

I have seen scratch and dents go a lot more then refurbished lappies

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Notebook Consultant

I have purchased the Certified Refurbished from them twice and now awaiting the delivery of a 'new' netbook from them. I got a Dell Mini 1012 and an Inspiron 17R 2nd Gen from them so far in the outlet and been very pleased. I found no cosmetic damage to either unit and am really looking forward to the 11z we just ordered this week, although that was a new unit, I am sure it will be just fine. I've had four computers from Dell and this latest one is the third I've bought 'new' and the other two (desktops) that I bought new are still running smoothly too. Overall I really like Dell's products.

I posted this thread almost a year ago and I think there's some feedback on this subject you'd be interested it so I am editing to add this link:

What do you think of Outlet deals?
    Last edited by Pamster; 16th December 2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: adding link to old outlet discussion thread

Notebook Enthusiast

"scratch and dent" usually means 1 tiny little nick in a completely obscure place.
    Desktop: 27" (1920x1080) | i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H | GTX 660 2GB | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | 2x300GB Velociraptors RAID0
    Laptop: DELL XPS M1330 | 13" (1280x800) | Core2Duo T9300 | Geforce 8400M GS | 4GB DDR2 667 | 120GB Samsung 840 SSD

Notebook Enthusiast

Bought a couple things from the outlet over the past few years and "scratch & dent" was nothing. Never had a "dent".. just minor scratches that were hardly noticeable. I had to look for them to find it..

It's usually free shipping and you could always return it if the dent or scratch bugs you that much.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by WaitWut? View Post
    Bought a couple things from the outlet over the past few years and "scratch & dent" was nothing. Never had a "dent".. just minor scratches that were hardly noticeable. I had to look for them to find it..

It's usually free shipping and you could always return it if the dent or scratch bugs you that much.
    Ditto here. Any cosmetic blemishes on Scratch and Dent machines I have ordered have all been minor or unnoticeable.

Dell is pretty good about returns without fees if you don't like a machine but still plan to order from them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast