Quantcast Whats the difference between the dell inspiron and the XPS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Whats the difference between the dell inspiron and the XPS

Hi, what is the difference between the dell inspiron 9400/e1705 and the XPS M1710? is the screen of a higher quality (not just brighter)? does it receive more care when assembling? better quality control? different material use? different packaging? different chassis? different motherboard? any other thing i should know? i want to buy a laptop and don't want to deal with screen; shimmer, sparkle, light leakage, poor viewing angle, colour distortion, and the likes. How happy are you with the screen? have u have any of these screen condition?

thanks

oh btw, is it possible to ask them for a discount if there is no coupon? if so how much (in percentage)

sorry about the long post, but i'm very excited/nervous about buying my very first laptop, i'm also considering toshiba qosmio G30 w/ geforce 7600 coz of its excellent screen, and speaker.
    Last edited by wobble987; 21st June 2006 at 10:09 AM.

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Whats the difference between the dell inspiron and the XPS

There are some similarities between the two lines, and some differences. It appears, according to threads here and on notebookforums.com, that the screens used in the M1710 are also in the E1705. Consensus is only one screen in the M1710 is worthwhile--the LG screen. The Samsungs and Sharps are not that bright, colors not great, and narrow field of views.

The M1710 and the e1705 chassis's look *very* similar. Ports all appear to be in the same place, but the M1710 motherboard has those color LED's all around, plus the M1710 has a dock port that works fine with the D/DOCK and D/PORT. I'm sure there are other differences, but as has been mentioned many times, if there were a 7900GTX available for the E1705, no one would buy the M1710!
    Alienware M18xr2
    Core i7-3920XM @4.4Ghz | 32GB DDR3-2133 | Dual 2GB nVidia GT675M SLI | 512GB Samsung 841 mSATA + 1TB HDD | Blu-Ray | Intel 7260AC | Windows 7 ULT

Dell XPS 13 (L322X) Ultrabook
    3.1Ghz i7-3537U | 13.3" FHD 1080p LED | 8 GB DDR3 | Intel HD 4000 | 256GB mSATA SSD | Intel 7260AC 802.11ac

2012 Macbook PRO 15 Retina
    2.2Ghz Quad Core i7 | 15" Glossy Retina LCD | 8 GB DDR3 | 480GB OWC SSD | OSX 10.9

Overclocker

There are different materials used in the Dell XPS line usually. But it really depends on the model. Take the XPS M1710, it has a metal lid, and some cool lights. The E1705 doesn't have any of that. Dells XPS line is generally built better. You also get dells XPS support. I havn't used it before, but they claim the support is better than regular dell suport. You also get your notebook in a nice black box. They throw in a couple tiny gifts. CD wallet, powersupply case. I think the chassis is different. The motherboard I'm not sure about. Dells XPS line costs a lot more usually. They are usually dells gaming laptops. They are more high end then the usual inspirons. Like the XPS M1710 you can get with a 512MB 7900GTX. The E1705 just a 7900GS. The XPS M1210 a Nvida 7400. The 710m - Intel Extreme 2 graphics.
    Notebook:
    Latitude e6400: C2D 2.53Ghz - 4GB's DDR2 - 250GB 7200RPM HD - nVidia Quadro NVS 160M - Webcam - Bt- DVD-RW -

Desktop Rig:
    Q6600 - OCZ Vendetta 2 (Lapped) - Gigabyte DS3R - 4GB's DDR2 1000Mhz OCZ - eVGA 9800GTX - 2x640GB (RAID1) + 1x500GB - OCZ 700W

The worlds brightest flashlights! www.TacticalHID.com

Notebook Consultant

here is a very detailed comparison article http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=2766

Dell may very well haggle with you on price. Get on the phone, tell them you are ready to buy "right now" if they give you a fair price and you are comparing to other brand xyz model abc, and if you push them they will "check to see what can be done"...if they don't hang up and call again...ask them to check with the supervisor...stay tenacious and keep repeating to them "I will spend $ABCD right now if you give me a deal"...don't get greedy and ask for more than you could get with coupons...
    Last edited by carlislegeorge; 21st June 2006 at 08:13 PM.

Mom! Hot Pockets!

Yeah, I finally managed to get a deal on my Precision M90. At first, the story was that it was all approved ready to go. Next day, I got an email saying that it wasn't approved, instead they were offering me an Inspiron 9400 for around the same price. I called my Dell sales rep back and told him that I didn't want the Inspiron, I wanted the M90 because I'm an engineering student and it's better built, etc. If I couldn't get that deal, I would move on and look at something else. Two hours later he called me back and said it was approved. My M90 is expected to be here next Friday.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things."
    Dell Precision M90|2.16 T2600|2GB DDR2|256 MB Quadro FX 1500M
    Apple MacBook Air 2011 (11")|1.8GHz i7|4GB DDR3|256GB Samsung SSD

Notebook Deity

It seems the XPS is of a better build quality overall. The LCD is better also. And then there's the power-best graphics dell offers. Service is supposed to be superior as well.

And they at least tried to style the XPS it is the coolest they build.
    AW M15X-2 repairs
    AW M17
    HP Firebird 802 desktop
    Voodoo Envy 133 ultramobile-sold

Notebook Deity

Yes the XPS's also look really really good. With the excption of the M1710, that thing is just fell of the ugly tree and hit every branch ugly in my opinion. But other than that they're sweet looking. The XPS 700 is the supermodel of computers, that thing just looks fast standing still.

Notebook Consultant

I paid about $1400 for my e1705. For my purposes, spending twice that on the xps m1710 makes no sense.

iPhone

I could point out 10 differences off the bat if you need me to. And more with that...

Generally, all i see is whoever has a E1705, and this question comes up, usually most will say its the same thing, yada yada.

Its not...
    Last edited by Amber; 22nd June 2006 at 09:33 AM. Reason: offensive
    -nickspohn
    Dell XPS M1710 (Review) | iPhone 3G (Review) | iPhone (Review)
    www.nickspohn.net

Notebook Consultant

I think the most common differences are:
    the XPS is a high end model while inspiron is a middle end one
    which is why we seldom see an XPS coupon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast