Quantcast Battery is not charging with a universal charger. Why?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Battery is not charging with a universal charger. Why?

Why Dell laptops refuse to charge their batteries when used with universal charger?
    Is there a way around this restriction?

Thanks

coffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

Default Re: Battery is not charging with a universal charger. Why?

You have to make sure the charger is powerful enough to charge it, also make sure the amps and volts are right too. Usually they can take within a range. Otherwise it just won't charge, or worse, kill your system. I wouldn't think there is a right way around it.
    Mid-2010 15inch Macbook Pro

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by naton View Post
    Why Dell laptops refuse to charge their batteries when used with universal charger?
    Is there a way around this restriction?
    Which model and BIOS version?

On the Studio 1558, there are two potentially useful items in the BIOS "Advanced" menu:

Adapter Warnings - This option lets you choose whether the system displays warning messages when you use certain power adapters. The system displays these warnings if you attempt to use a power adapter that has too little capacity for your configuration.

Charger Behaviour - Charge Disabled = Your notebook will be powered but the battery will not be charged.
    Dell Studio 1558
    i7-740QM | 8GB RAM | 256GB C300 SSD | UJ-235A BD-RE Drive | 15.6" Matte 1080p LED | ATI HD 5470
    Backlit Keyboard | Bluetooth 365 | Ultimate-N 6300 | Wireless 5620 Mobile Broadband | 9-Cell Battery
    Custom Color Lid | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Targus "Unofficial" 16" Slipcase

Notebook Virtuoso

my laptop is the latitude E6400. I've disabled the "adapter warnings" option. I have to check is I have a "Charger behaviour" option in my BIOS.

I bought the E6400 without a charger. I thought that it would be OK to use it with a universal one until I can get my hand into a dell one. Is a 65W charger enough for my laptop knowing that the cpu is a T9900 and the GPU is an intel integrated? Or do I need a 85 or 90W charger?

joelkrause57
    What's the charger ref number in your E6400?

Judged and found wanting.
    Close enough to hear Disney fireworks every night.

my laptop is the latitude E6400. I've disabled the "adapter warnings" option. I have to check is I have a "Charger behaviour" option in my BIOS.

I bought the E6400 without a charger. I thought that it would be OK to use it with a universal one until I can get my hand into a dell one. Is a 65W charger enough for my laptop knowing that the cpu is a T9900 and the GPU is an intel integrated? Or do I need a 85 or 90W charger?

joelkrause57
    The standard Dell E6400 power adaptor is 90 watts. The other possible problem is that Dell is known for restricting third party power adaptors; they'll run your computer, but won't charge the battery.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Judicator View Post
    The standard Dell E6400 power adaptor is 90 watts. The other possible problem is that Dell is known for restricting third party power adaptors; they'll run your computer, but won't charge the battery.
    I suspect that they do somehow (probably in the BIOS firmware) restrict the use of the third party charger. I remember it was the same with a d610 I had in the past and a d810 that belongs to friend. Funnily though I remember been able to use a third party charger on an inspiron 1300 without any issues.

Moderately Boss

Dell is strict when it comes to power supplies to protect the board from damages caused by using wrong power supplies.

If the power supply's impedance doesnt match OEM, it wont work.
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Judicator View Post
    The other possible problem is that Dell is known for restricting third party power adaptors; they'll run your computer, but won't charge the battery.
    Indeed. Since they had their problem with exploding batteries they've added firmware to check both the battery and charger IDs to make sure they're both genuine Dell, and that the charger is the correct one for the PC.
    Dell Studio 1558
    i7-740QM | 8GB RAM | 256GB C300 SSD | UJ-235A BD-RE Drive | 15.6" Matte 1080p LED | ATI HD 5470
    Backlit Keyboard | Bluetooth 365 | Ultimate-N 6300 | Wireless 5620 Mobile Broadband | 9-Cell Battery
    Custom Color Lid | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Targus "Unofficial" 16" Slipcase

coffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

joelkrause57
    I'm guessing you are talking about the numbers on the adapter?

If so, it's a 90w AC Adapter PA-10
    Input: AC 100-240v ~ 1.5a 50-60Hz
    Output: DC 19.5v 4.62A

I'm going to third on what others are saying that Dell restricts the use of adapters other then there own.

coffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast