Quantcast Any way to check if the laptop is stolen?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Any way to check if the laptop is stolen?

I usually don't buy second hand laptops, but since i got my one stolen a week ago and dont really have the money to buy a new good laptop i was looking at a local online ad site.

I found a really nicely priced second hand precission m4500 with 4GB ram, i5 520m and a FX 880M which is perfect for me. However being suspicius as always, I think this laptop may be stolen since the person said he lost the receipt while moving and doesnt have dvds/manuals but assures me that it has around 1000 days of warranty.

Now my question is, is there any way to check online if the laptop was stolen, couse i dont really want to do it over the phone as i may get into trouble since i cannot prove that i bought the laptop from someone else and get charged of steaing plus loosing more money and the laptop.
    Dell Precision M4500
    Core i5 540M - 4GB DDR3-RAM - 250GB 7200rpm HDD - Quadro FX 880M 1GB DDR3 - Windows 7 Pro x64

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Any way to check if the laptop is stolen?

There is no way you can do that unless you get the cops involved lol. Here is what you should do: transfer the warranty over to your name (there's a thread in this forum that shows how to do that without previous owner name). Also, if you are that cautious then I recommend asking the seller to obtain a copy of the pdf invoice via dell (he only needs his login email when he ordered the system)...

Notebook Consultant

If you have the service tag Dell can tell you if someone has reported stolen to them, thats about all you will be able to learn with out police involvement.

Notebook Consultant

You could ring Dell support with the Service Tag and give the sellers name as the owner and see what happens.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by krusha03 View Post
    Now my question is, is there any way to check online if the laptop was stolen, couse i dont really want to do it over the phone as i may get into trouble since i cannot prove that i bought the laptop from someone else and get charged of steaing plus loosing more money and the laptop.
    It sounds as if you're pretty much going to get it anyway and you just want to check to feel better about the transaction.

Now maybe the seller is legit, but there again, maybe it's not stolen but there might be something else wrong with it. Was it a refurb?

Notebook Consultant

Well I found a page on the dell website where you can enter the service tag and it tells you the original config, remaining warranty etc. So i checked and his story turned out true, 980 days of warranty, nothing from the original configuration has changed and nothing about being stolen. I will check with dell support after my exam period is over.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxwanabe View Post
    It sounds as if you're pretty much going to get it anyway and you just want to check to feel better about the transaction.

Now maybe the seller is legit, but there again, maybe it's not stolen but there might be something else wrong with it. Was it a refurb?
    While i did want it badly I wouldnt have bought it, if it said it was stolen couse that means if nothing else you are out of warranty. The laptop was fine the only thing he said was that the cable of the charger got damaged and while it runs from the AC it doesnt charge the battery and I will need to replace it. I see that most ppl here have a 130w PA-13 while I have a 90w PA-10. On the back it says either of them could work so idk if its that the charger is not good or the battery/charging circuit. Are chargers covered by Dells warranty?
    Dell Precision M4500
    Core i5 540M - 4GB DDR3-RAM - 250GB 7200rpm HDD - Quadro FX 880M 1GB DDR3 - Windows 7 Pro x64

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by krusha03 View Post
    Well I found a page on the dell website where you can enter the service tag and it tells you the original config, remaining warranty etc. So i checked and his story turned out true, 980 days of warranty, nothing from the original configuration has changed and nothing about being stolen. I will check with dell support after my exam period is over.

can you please provide the link

nevermind... google... ha: http://support.dell.com/support/topi...19&l=en&s=hied