Quantcast How to transfer Dell laptop warranty with out previous owners name

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mr.Mischief

Default How to transfer Dell laptop warranty with out previous owners name

A lot of us buy laptops off eBay or Craigslist, and we don't get the sellers name, or the seller isn't the original buyer. If it has any warranty left, you definitely want it in your name, so you can use if your Dell unfortunately breaks down. When trying to transfer the warranty with out the previous owners name, Dell will give you grief. After trying to transfer the warranty of my M1330 with out the previous owners name, I found out how to do it.

When I called Dell they gave me the run around(Duh its Dell), so I tried online chat. Once they found out my problem they gave me the same number I had already tried calling. After research, I found this link to online transfer.

Transfer Warranty

In the previous owner name slot just put "No Information" in the first and last name boxes and in the zip code box(no quotes).

Add your info, the service tag, and express service code, click submit. I tried it twice today and now I have a brand new motherboard being sent for my M1330. It worked for me, and hopefully works for you.

If the above doesn't work:

Try this: https://www.onlineregister.com/dell/

International Warranty Transfer

Here's the International Warranty Transfer Form. I haven't used it, but my guess would be enter "No Information" in the owners name and all that, then enter the country it was purchased in. If you don't know what country it was purchased in, your probably out of luck.

International Form: http://support.dell.com/support/topi...dhs&redirect=1

NEW: You have to enter "No Information" in the zip code box.
    Last edited by Nick; 19th July 2012 at 05:33 PM.
    2012 MacBook Air 11
    iPhone 5c

can i haz broadwell?

Default Re: How to transfer Dell laptop warranty with out previous owners name

Quote Originally Posted by tHE j0KER View Post
    +1

I've found that it works "best" if you actually load it in IE and have the site "validate" your service tag.

Sometimes it does take a couple days to go through, even if it tells you that the tag has been successfully transferred. One rep has told me that the people on the other end manually enter the info... dunno how much of that is BS.
    n o n s e n s e - w a r s . c o m

Intel NUC DC53427HYE Akasa Newton V/i5-3427U/8GB/HD 4000/830 128GB/7 Pro
    ThinkPad Yoga i5-4300U/4GB/HD 4400/FHD/Digitizer/Pro 1500 180GB/8.1 Pro

D830 Review/CPU Compatibility/GPU Reflow

Notebook Deity

I just tried this on got this message
    ""We're sorry, we are unable to process your request immediately. We are forwarding your request to the proper Dell organization. Please allow 10-15 business days for processing. Thank you for choosing Dell."
    it didn't really load another page, this just appeared on top of the current page.

is this normal? 10-15 days?!
    Samsung Series 3, 11.6", i3, 8GB, Win 7 64, 128GB SSD
    Past: e4300, e6400, asus f3f.

Mr.Mischief

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Punk View Post
    I just tried this on got this message
    ""We're sorry, we are unable to process your request immediately. We are forwarding your request to the proper Dell organization. Please allow 10-15 business days for processing. Thank you for choosing Dell."
    it didn't really load another page, this just appeared on top of the current page.

is this normal? 10-15 days?!

What type of laptop are you transferring? It worked instantly for my XPS M1330 and Inspiron 1501.
    Last edited by Nick; 6th January 2011 at 03:31 PM.
    2012 MacBook Air 11
    iPhone 5c

-

So they're just sending you the motherboard and not sending a tech out to do the work or requiring you to send it in? If this is true I'll bet there are some scammers on ebay contacting people with Dell laptops for sale and asking for the service tag and code and then trying to transfer the warranty to their name and then scamming Dell to send extra parts to them. I've sold Dell laptops on eBay and it's assured that somebody will ask you for service tag info and insist they just want to verify the warranty.

Mr.Mischief

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    So they're just sending you the motherboard and not sending a tech out to do the work or requiring you to send it in? If this is true I'll bet there are some scammers on ebay contacting people with Dell laptops for sale and asking for the service tag and code and then trying to transfer the warranty to their name and then scamming Dell to send extra parts to them. I've sold Dell laptops on eBay and it's assured that somebody will ask you for service tag info and insist they just want to verify the warranty.

They're sending me a tech and motherboard.
    2012 MacBook Air 11
    iPhone 5c

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tHE j0KER View Post
    What type of laptop are you transferring? It work instantly for my XPS M1330 and Inspiron 1501.
    e4300, why? does it take longer?

Mr.Mischief

e4300, why? does it take longer?
    I'm not sure, but maybe because its a business laptop it takes longer?
    2012 MacBook Air 11
    iPhone 5c

Notebook Deity

my request was denied...I didn't enter the express code but I don't think that matters.

I also spoke to someone on the chat and he couldn't do it himself. Today I have to call again.

Mr.Mischief

my request was denied...I didn't enter the express code but I don't think that matters.

I also spoke to someone on the chat and he couldn't do it himself. Today I have to call again.
    Why not try entering the express service code on the request form? Thats what I did.
    2012 MacBook Air 11
    iPhone 5c

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast