Quantcast Video Memory Problem , Pls Help!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Video Memory Problem , Pls Help!

Hi Everyone, I recently encountered a problem with my XPS Gen 2. Since this morning, when i start up a game, shortly after the opening screens, the screen freezes, and then moves for a split second, and then freezes again for like 10 seconds.
    Then a blue screen comes up that says:
    "Windows had to be shut down in order to prevent damage to your computer..." etc.
    "Technical Information:

Stop: 0x0000008E
    nv4_disp.dll : address A0084, expected to read 0h, but read 1010101h instead"

then I ran Dell Diagnostics Utility to see what the problem is, and when i tested the video, az error message came up:

"error code 5300:0119

Msg: failure while writing and reading video memory

and it displayed this error message for all resolutions possible.

Now my question is, is it a hardware problem or software? What can I do to fix it, and do i have to send it back to dell to get it fixed? I really dont have the time to wair for my comp to get shipped back to me after its fixed..Any suggestions are accepted!
    I am desperate, please help..

Thanks a lot,

Endre

p.s.: Oh and i tried reinstalling new drivers too, but the problem persisted.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Video Memory Problem , Pls Help!

This was a known issue with the nVIDIA drivers your obviously using. There's since been an updated driver version released that fixes this problem. Did you reinstall the same old drivers from your install CD that came with your computer or did you actually go out and find the new version of the drivers and install those?

According to the Dell documentation on this error experienced on other models but with the same graphics card in them they are suggesting you flash your BIOS with a new updated BIOS version, then install the new drivers.

They did not specify if they are refering to a system bios or a graphics adapter bios. Take a look and see if any updates for your specific model are available on the Dell website downloads section.

nv4_disp.dll is part of your nVIDIA drivers package by the way, so your defineatly it sounds like heading in the right direction on getting this fixed.

yea, i installed a third party driver for the card, but only after I experienced the problem.

Notebook Consultant

Go to the Dell web site and find your BIOS update there, and Dells new drivers in their downloads section.

Then hope they have a floppyless bios flash available for your system, they should.

You can just use their search to find this stuff, no need to aimlessly click and look trying to find it.

There are a lot of BIOS updates they have for various models there that all list...

Issues Fixed:
    1. Fixed issue seen under WinXP in which the system may intermittently halt with a blue screen error message referencing "Nv4_disp.dll".
    as the number one fix in the BIOS update. Everyone one I've seen there says the same thing, update the BIOS, then install the new drivers they provide.

hey, thanks for the info, you are the only one who cold give me valuable information...

however, i cant find the bios update on dell's website, the search gives me all sorts of other results..

Notebook Consultant

They make it pretty easy for you actually, if you just go here...

http://support.dell.com/

and then enter in your service tag number found on the bottom of your laptop it should pull up everything specificly for your model and options.

Its so easy to do that way that you'd over look it thinking it's got to be harder than this.

the thing that confused me was that you quoted the line for the first issue fixed, but i never found that line in my bios flash update ,for xps gen 2, a05..i updated it to that however, ill go and see if that works.

well, i updated the bios, and the problem still presists..well, i didnt reinstall the drivers after i flashed the bios..does it relly matter though?

Notebook Consultant

I don't know I'm not having that problem myself, but all the people who are are doing that to fix it. It says to flash your BIOS with the new update, then install the new provided drivers.

Just following half of a direction probably isn't going to work. Be sure to use the new drivers Dell is providing, not someone elses when doing this, we have no idea if someone elses drivers contain any fixes for this or not.

Also remember your not installing AOL instant messenger here, you will want to reboot each time prompted to do so or not. Follow all directions, step by step, exactly as they instruct you. One false move flashing your BIOS and you could have a mess on your hands.

BIOS first, reboot, then Graphics Driver, reboot

and I'll bet it does say something about this in the .txt file with the BIOS information if you open that and read it. You defineatley want to read it to make sure the file name for your BIOS flash matches the model it's saying it's for and someone didn't accidently screw up and point you at the wrong BIOS flash for your machine.

I've got an Inspiron 9300

i9300|1.86|LG WUXGA|1GB DDR2|6800|60GB 7200RPM|8x DVD+/-RW|

It's been running great for the year I've had it, until today. After a short period of use, wavy lines and pillage my screen! (I took two pictures -- I'll find some space to upload to tomorrow).

I've also run the Dell Diagnostics Utility. I get the same error:

error code 5300:0119

Msg: failure while writing and reading video memory

I went from A01 to A05, but after the flash and running the machine for a few minutes, it proved to be of no consequence. The suggestion of updating the Windows driver doesn't seem logical considering I've seen the display error before Windows begins to load, and while navigating the BIOS. Although, while in safe mode, before the problem struck, I was able to update the Windows video driver. No avail.

Now, if I let the machine sit for a while, it will take longer to display the symptom. That leads me to believe it's a heat issue with the card. Perhaps its taken a years worth of use and it is now begining to wear out. Just a guess. I've read about the 7800 upgrade, and if I can reasonably determine that the video card is unrepairable, I may make a run at it.

Anyone? Bueller?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast