Quantcast Using Dell Windows XP install CD to install on another computer?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Using Dell Windows XP install CD to install on another computer?

I can't find the answer to this on the Dell's website and after searching on these forums I'm still stumped...

I bought the $10 disc to reinstall Windows XP Pro SP2 with my I6000. On the CD it says "Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer." But, I don't know if this means that I CAN'T use it to install on a second computer. Is it possible to use this disc to install to another computer? Anyone aware of copyright issues related to this or Dell policy regarding using the disc to install to another computer? I can't find info on their site about it... I might not be using the right search terms, but nothing I've been able to find.

Thanks in advance.

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Using Dell Windows XP install CD to install on another computer?

The reinstall CD is designed to reinstall the OS on the notebook it was designed for... It may or may not work from a technical standpoint installing the OS on another machine.

From a license perspective... you still only have one license for the OS... so when you installed the OS it would require the license code (present on the underside of your notebook). The problem is... that even if the installation was successful... you would have two computers running an OS with the same license... and since XP activates... microsoft would probably be aware of it... and its piracy.

So, it may or may not be possible... but even if it worked technically, you can only have the OS on one computer legally.

Notebook Guru

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Notebook Consultant

Yes you can install your copy of XP onto another machine. I installed the copy of Home that came with my 6000 on an old emachine desktop with no issues.

Alchemist is right about the license, you only have one. That means there can only be one legal machine running that key. I bought Pro seperate for my 6000 because I can a better deal then Dell's price.

Notebook Prophet

From my understanding, the discs are OEM and can only be installed on dell computers only. It doesn't have to match your system, but it does have to be a dell. I think it detects the hardware before it installs it, but I'm not sure how booger got around that.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernGirl
    From my understanding, the discs are OEM and can only be installed on dell computers only. It doesn't have to match your system, but it does have to be a dell. I think it detects the hardware before it installs it, but I'm not sure how booger got around that.
    I put the cd in and booted the computer, that is it.

Dell just buys parts from other manufactures. There is nothing special about Dell. They just package it together. You could do the same and buy all the parts seperately. That being said... there is no reason why an oem os would not work on any PC.

I think the oem more has to do with licensing and distributioning. There might be a few changes like custom drivers but that probably is it.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by booger
    I put the cd in and booted the computer, that is it.

Dell just buys parts from other manufactures. There is nothing special about Dell. They just package it together. You could do the same and buy all the parts seperately. That being said... there is no reason why an oem os would not work on any PC.

I think the oem more has to do with licensing and distributioning. There might be a few changes like custom drivers but that probably is it.
    I'm pretty sure SG is right - I tried running my Dell recovery discs on my family's Qosmio and wouldn't work because it wasn't Dell hardware.
    Apple MacBook Pro: Intel Core Duo 2 T8400, 500GB HD@7200RPM, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 9600GT, 15.4" WXGA+ glossy

Dell Inspiron E1705: Intel Core Duo T2500, 100GB HD@5400RPM, 1.25GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7800Go, 17" WUXGA glossy

Notebook Prophet

One thing is that it doesn't make sense to have OEM discs that will install on all computers. If that was the case, they would just make them retail discs.

All of the documents that I've read supported that OEM discs only install with that manufacturer.

I haven't tried it with my dell XP disc, but last year I tried a toshiba disc with HP, and it wouldn't work. LOL, but those were restore discs and not XP discs.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by xAMDvsIntelx
    I'm pretty sure SG is right - I tried running my Dell recovery discs on my family's Qosmio and wouldn't work because it wasn't Dell hardware.
    We are talking about the Dell oem XP cd and not the recovery disc. They are completely 2 different things.

I am 100% sure it works and not 'pretty sure'. Let me repeat it, I have done it. It installed just like ever other XP cd. I upgraded a 400Mhz Emachine desktop with a Dell oem XP Home cd.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernGirl
    One thing is that it doesn't make sense to have OEM discs that will install on all computers. If that was the case, they would just make them retail discs.

All of the documents that I've read supported that OEM discs only install with that manufacturer.

I haven't tried it with my dell XP disc, but last year I tried a toshiba disc with HP, and it wouldn't work. LOL, but those were restore discs and not XP discs.
    1. It is cheaper to produce 1 version of the oem cd. They can track license easier with the oem. Plus they might put custom drivers in them, especially in the past when everything was proprietary.
    2. Post a link to those documents.
    3. You said it 'those were restore discs and not XP discs.'

Plus I have done it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast