Quantcast !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!! - Page 8

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Re: !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!!

I have received the windows 7 DVD from dell. I just contacted their technical care and said that i need t dual boot with linux so i need a 7 DVD.... and they said i will receive it in 8-10 business days... but surprisingly i recvd it winthin 3 days
    Mobility exercised in the blood -

Dell Studio 1558
    Sony Vaio vpcea16fg
    Dell latitude 6410
    Dell Vostro v13
    Dell inspiron 15*2
    Dell Studio XPS 16

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bharatbharija View Post
    I have received the windows 7 DVD from dell. I just contacted their technical care and said that i need t dual boot with linux so i need a 7 DVD.... and they said i will receive it in 8-10 business days... but surprisingly i recvd it winthin 3 days
    Yep, for a lot of people, simply asking for a disk was all it took. Glad to see it worked for you too!
    Laptop/TabletPC : Dell Latitude D630/Venue 8 pro
    Phones: *lots of Windows Mobile phones* | Nexus 5

PortableDigest.com mobile reviewer - writer
    "It's like the Ross of app stores" ~Storyoho on BlackBerry App World

Notebook Consultant

The for these "lots of people" they must be very fortunate.

Dell is telling me that they won't be giving out any discs. And when I ask nicely about it they repeatedly go on to talk about "shall I send you a link on how to create recovery discs"... really pisses me off.

Notebook Geek

This Post will help you for downloading the genuine windows 7 oem edition,and reinstalling it. Pls read it once again (i knw you all had once) its very helpfull and good...
    Mobility exercised in the blood -

Dell Studio 1558
    Sony Vaio vpcea16fg
    Dell latitude 6410
    Dell Vostro v13
    Dell inspiron 15*2
    Dell Studio XPS 16

Notebook Geek

Fill out form within below link, have done this with last three system's from Dell and they typically OVERNIGHT the disks and drivers disk as well.

Dell - Support

Big time Idiot

Yeah, I just asked Dell and they shipped them to me

Though Alienware systems still come with some recovery media (win7 CD, mostly, driver CD for m15x/m17x).

I asked within the warranty time of my M1210 and D820, though.
    Vaio SA 13.3" i5 + HD6630m
    8GB 128GB 1600x900

Quote Originally Posted by bharatbharija View Post
    Hello!

Is that a *PLAIN VANILLA* Dell OEM Win 7 DVD OS, without any other Dell software installed on it -- no image -- an actual plain vanilla operating system? I just got off the phone with a Dell sales rep and he said they're all images now and there are no more plain vanilla Dell OS medias going out -- they're all images of what Dell put on the original hard drive. That would be horrifying.

Please advise. Thx.

--
    Traffic

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic View Post
    Hello!
    Is that a *PLAIN VANILLA* Dell OEM Win 7 DVD OS, without any other Dell software installed on it -- no image -- an actual plain vanilla operating system? I just got off the phone with a Dell sales rep and he said they're all images now and there are no more plain vanilla Dell OS medias going out -- they're all images of what Dell put on the original hard drive. That would be horrifying.
    Please advise. Thx.
    --
    Traffic
    please see my post

Quote Originally Posted by fakename View Post
    Fill out form within below link, have done this with last three system's from Dell and they typically OVERNIGHT the disks and drivers disk as well.

Dell - Support

text from within the link I provided. [i]"Dell Customers can now request a set of backup discs containing the factory-installed operating system as well as the device drivers and utilities specific to your system.

They will ship you a windows O/S disc (whatever your system shipped with) AS WELL AS multiple discs' containing the drivers/utitilites that originally came on your system. I'm not sure how much explicit I can be, I have JUST done this with three seperate Dell orders within the last 1.5 months.
    <<Laptop>> Dell Studio XPS 1645 i7-840qm | ATi MR 5730 HD 800/1050 | 8Gb DDR3-1333MHz | 256gB SSD + 640Gb 7200rpm | 1920x1080 FHD WLED LG0215 1080p | BLURay ReadWrite | Bluetooth + Intel 6250 | Win 7 Pro x64

<< Family>> 2 x Mini 1012's for my 3 & 4 year olds (better believe that comes with 3 year complete care warranty)

Notebook Deity

I just did a clean install of vista home premium using the windows anytime upgrade DVD. I just selected the OEM version of windows my system shipped with and activated it over the phone. The biggest pain was all the updates.. sp1, sp2, and about 200 others which took like 10 hours. Not sure MS offers those upgrade discs anymore but I bought mine for 5 bucks at compusa.

But it really does not matter.. just borrow, download iso etc.. MS could care less as long as you have a legitimate key they will always activate over the phone. I even had a HP tech tell me once it was illegal to do a clean install this way. But the truth is, they just want you to load all the bloat since they make money trashing your systems resources with all the bloatware.

Also, as far as I know, MS does not even use CD/DVD copy protection so it generally possble to copy windows. But this is illegal to do. But MS uses authentication in place of disc copy protection.. Its been that way for years.

Everyone needs not to worry about dell not shipping discs etc.. Its easy enough to find a seven disc/iso etc.. and just call in the product key on bottom of notebook and be done with it. Then go to Dell's support site and get all the drivers from your system ID number. Rather, you better get those drivers first before you format your drive or you may not be able to get online without the proper wireless/network card driver.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by HI DesertNM View Post
    I just did a clean install of vista home premium using the windows anytime upgrade DVD. I just selected the OEM version of windows my system shipped with and activated it over the phone. The biggest pain was all the updates.. sp1, sp2, and about 200 others which took like 10 hours. Not sure MS offers those upgrade discs anymore but I bought mine for 5 bucks at compusa.

But it really does not matter.. just borrow, download iso etc.. MS could care less as long as you have a legitimate key they will always activate over the phone. I even had a HP tech tell me once it was illegal to do a clean install this way. But the truth is, they just want you to load all the bloat since they make money trashing your systems resources with all the bloatware.

Also, as far as I know, MS does not even use CD/DVD copy protection so it generally possble to copy windows. But this is illegal to do. But MS uses authentication in place of disc copy protection.. Its been that way for years.

Everyone needs not to worry about dell not shipping discs etc.. Its easy enough to find a seven disc/iso etc.. and just call in the product key on bottom of notebook and be done with it. Then go to Dell's support site and get all the drivers from your system ID number. Rather, you better get those drivers first before you format your drive or you may not be able to get online without the proper wireless/network card driver.
    all you have to do is fill out a form (if you've just purchased a pc recently anyways) and they overnight the O/S cd and driver disks. i don't think it could be much easier
    <<Laptop>> Dell Studio XPS 1645 i7-840qm | ATi MR 5730 HD 800/1050 | 8Gb DDR3-1333MHz | 256gB SSD + 640Gb 7200rpm | 1920x1080 FHD WLED LG0215 1080p | BLURay ReadWrite | Bluetooth + Intel 6250 | Win 7 Pro x64

<< Family>> 2 x Mini 1012's for my 3 & 4 year olds (better believe that comes with 3 year complete care warranty)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast