Quantcast !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!! - Page 7

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!!

Quote Originally Posted by booboo12 View Post
    If you install a retail copy of 7 on a machine that came with Vista, then you'll use the key provided in the packaging. The OEM key as well as the key on the bottom of the machine won't work.
    That's not exactly true. If you use a Microsoft OEM copy of an OS and the Dell OEM key, it won't activate online, but you can use the phone option to activate it. Granted, it has to be the same type (i.e. Win7 Pro disc and key)

This works for Windows 7 at least, not sure about XP or Vista.

Some t/s you can do to get it to match if that doesn't work:

1. Download the MGAdiag tool from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 Run the tool and look at the output for review. You are looking for an entry like this one:

a. File Scan Data-->

b. File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\en-us\user32.dll.mui[6.1.7600.16385]

c. This will confirm if the license and media are mismatched.

2. Run the Microsoft Genuine Diagnostic software: Genuine Microsoft Software. This will ensure that the OS reports authenticity correctly.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!!

You can download software here (only works in IE) https://smartsource.dell.com/Web/Wel...eb%2fmain.aspx

Not sure if you can download an OS, I don't have a service tag that works with the site.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jason1214 View Post
    That's not exactly true. If you use a Microsoft OEM copy of an OS and the Dell OEM key, it won't activate online, but you can use the phone option to activate it. Granted, it has to be the same type (i.e. Win7 Pro disc and key)

This works for Windows 7 at least, not sure about XP or Vista.
    Should be the same. MS simply disabled online activation for OEM keys (at least for the big brands like Dell, HP, Acer etc...)

Michael
    Dell Vostro 1500: 15.4" * T7250 * 2 GB RAM * 250 GB HDD * 85Wh battery * Geforce 8600M GT * Win XP Pro
    Acer Aspire 1810TZ: 11.6" * SU4100 * 3 GB RAM * 320 GB HDD * 62Wh battery * Bluetooth * WWAN (UMTS) * Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Banned

is dell still shipping those discs with their laptops? or have they totally gone the hp way by now? just wondering...

£5 option for me when I ordered earlier this month

Notebook Enthusiast

Awww that's sad news that Dell doesn't provide OS and Resource disks.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Amina View Post
    Awww that's sad news that Dell doesn't provide OS and Resource disks.
    but you can download the latest drivers from the dell website and the OS from the link given in the sub-forum related to windows 7 and use your OEM key to install it.

Notebook Consultant

I think this is a deal breaker for me, if they won't send out a resource recovery disk and OS disk I think I will take my business elsewhere. This is a bad business move on their part, why off MORE people who WOULD have bought from you had you just continued with a courtesy of sending out TWO dang discs? With software you PAID to have installed? Not cool at all.

Edited: I chatted with a rep on their site just now and she gave me a link to a place to request backup OS and resource discs. You can get one for your system only one per system. And you have to give them your service tag. But who doesn't have that right? It's right on the computer....I feel better about this now after being reassured I can do this one I have the computer. So I am still on the market for the i3 Inspiron 15R. Hooray!
    Last edited by Pamster; 25th September 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Pamster View Post
    I think this is a deal breaker for me, if they won't send out a resource recovery disk and OS disk I think I will take my business elsewhere. This is a bad business move on their part, why off MORE people who WOULD have bought from you had you just continued with a courtesy of sending out TWO dang discs? With software you PAID to have installed? Not cool at all.

Edited: I chatted with a rep on their site just now and she gave me a link to a place to request backup OS and resource discs. You can get one for your system only one per system. And you have to give them your service tag. But who doesn't have that right? It's right on the computer....I feel better about this now after being reassured I can do this one I have the computer. So I am still on the market for the i3 Inspiron 15R. Hooray!

If not that you can even make a torrent download of windows 7 HP OEM edition and use the key that is under your battery.
    This way you save the 2 weeks shipping time of the 7 DVD.
    Mobility exercised in the blood -

Dell Studio 1558
    Sony Vaio vpcea16fg
    Dell latitude 6410
    Dell Vostro v13
    Dell inspiron 15*2
    Dell Studio XPS 16

Notebook Consultant

Ah that makes sense too! Good call!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast