Quantcast !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!! - Page 4

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!!

Will it be possible to re-install the Del systems using retail versions of the OS and then using the dell produt keys?

css_jay99
    ---------------------------------

Dell XPS 15 - L502x | i7-2820QM | 8GB RAM | 1080p B+RGLED | GT 540M | 750GB 7200RPM | Blu-ray Read| Wireless 1030 + bluetooth | UK backlit Keyboard | Integrated TV Tuner

Mac mini server | i7 2.0Ghz Quad core | 2*500Mb HDD | 4Gb RAM

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!!

Quote Originally Posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Will it be possible to re-install the Del systems using retail versions of the OS and then using the dell produt keys?
    css_jay99
    Doubtful, I'm guessing you will run into a problem of OEM product keys vs retail keys. You can't reinstall using a retail windows 7 disc and then activate with an OEM key. Maybe dell is different I haven't tried it yet with my dell.

Quote Originally Posted by m715 View Post
    Doubtful, I'm guessing you will run into a problem of OEM product keys vs retail keys. You can't reinstall using a retail windows 7 disc and then activate with an OEM key. Maybe dell is different I haven't tried it yet with my dell.
    I can purchase Windows 7 OS from my college. Can I use it to install on a Dell laptop that comes with some basic windows versions? (say, I buy a laptop with windows vista basic preinstalled and then I install my own Windows 7 onto it).

As I will have my own serial key, can it be used for activation? Or are you saying that the activation depends on the machine I have; if the laptop uses a different copy of Windows 7 other than the pre-installed OS, Microsoft will not recognize it?

Thanks~

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by css_jay99 View Post

css_jay99
    Quote Originally Posted by m715 View Post
    To answer both your questions, you can. You'll need to grab the .ISO images here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/micr...ta-before.html

Make sure you backup your product key by following the instructions provided in the first post. You'll need to ensure that you pick a version of 7 that matches what initially came on the computer. (e.g: The computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium, so in the Windows 7 installer, you'll choose "Windows 7 Home Premium" from the list)

Quote Originally Posted by rockside View Post
    I can purchase Windows 7 OS from my college. Can I use it to install on a Dell laptop that comes with some basic windows versions? (say, I buy a laptop with windows vista basic preinstalled and then I install my own Windows 7 onto it).

As I will have my own serial key, can it be used for activation? Or are you saying that the activation depends on the machine I have; if the laptop uses a different copy of Windows 7 other than the pre-installed OS, Microsoft will not recognize it?

Thanks~
    If you install a retail copy of 7 on a machine that came with Vista, then you'll use the key provided in the packaging. The OEM key as well as the key on the bottom of the machine won't work. If the machine came with Windows 7 Home Premium, and you buy Windows 7 Professional, you can clean install with it just fine, you'll just use the key that came with Windows 7 Pro.
    Laptop/TabletPC : Dell Latitude D630/Venue 8 pro
    Phones: *lots of Windows Mobile phones* | Motorola Droid 1 | Motorola Droid 3

PortableDigest.com mobile reviewer - writer
    "It's like the Ross of app stores" ~Storyoho on BlackBerry App World

Notebook Enthusiast

I just got my studio 1558 about 15 minutes ago. I won't be able to do much with it as I work nights and I'm going back to bed.

In the box there were 3 discs. One of them was the operating system for windows 7 pro, it says use this dvd to re-install the operating system. There were no notes in the box about not getting the discs.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Cabmonk View Post
    I just got my studio 1558 about 15 minutes ago. I won't be able to do much with it as I work nights and I'm going back to bed.

In the box there were 3 discs. One of them was the operating system for windows 7 pro, it says use this dvd to re-install the operating system. There were no notes in the box about not getting the discs.
    Ok, looks like you'll be all good! You have the media that's going away. Dell's in a state of transition so it'll be a while until people don't get discs at all.
    Laptop/TabletPC : Dell Latitude D630/Venue 8 pro
    Phones: *lots of Windows Mobile phones* | Motorola Droid 1 | Motorola Droid 3

PortableDigest.com mobile reviewer - writer
    "It's like the Ross of app stores" ~Storyoho on BlackBerry App World

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by booboo12 View Post
    Ok, looks like you'll be all good! You have the media that's going away. Dell's in a state of transition so it'll be a while until people don't get discs at all.
    Just thought its funny, some people are getting them, some not and some are getting them with notes that they no longer provide the discs. Btw I just woke up so still no time to really do much.

Uh-Oh not again !

I recently bought a Vostro V13 from the outlet store and it came with the OS, Drivers and webcam CD. Here's the kicker, my Windows 7 disc won't boot so it likes like i'll need to call them for a replacement.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rodknee View Post
    I recently bought a Vostro V13 from the outlet store and it came with the OS, Drivers and webcam CD. Here's the kicker, my Windows 7 disc won't boot so it likes like i'll need to call them for a replacement.
    Another lotto winner! WOOT!!!!

Rugged Systems ATG & XFR

i just got my computers and it comes with the os cds... both home office iinspiron with core i3 and vostro 3500 of buz
    Dell Latitude E4310 Regal Red Intel Core i5 560M 2.66GHz | 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | Corsair F60 60GB

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast