Quantcast !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!! - Page 3

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
    Looked around a bit at IdeaStorm for your post and didn't find it.
    I didn't create an idea for this yet. I can do so if you want though.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
    Dell told me that I'd get a recovery DVD with my Vostro laptop (which I should get tomorrow, yay) but no true Windows installation disc for a clean install.

The OEM ISOs of Windows 7 are downloadable though, and presumably legal since you have an OEM licence with the laptop anyway.
    Interesting, so they are doing this to Vostro too? Very interesting.

EDIT: I have configured a new Vostro and sure enough, there's no mention of Resource CD/DVD in the configurator.

You can still get disks on Latitude systems

I can try chatting with Dell.com to see what they have to say.
    Last edited by booboo12; 3rd May 2010 at 07:00 PM.
    Laptop/TabletPC : Dell Latitude D630/Venue 8 pro
    Phones: *lots of Windows Mobile phones* | Nexus 5

PortableDigest.com mobile reviewer - writer
    "It's like the Ross of app stores" ~Storyoho on BlackBerry App World

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: !!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!!

I recently got (4/20/10) a Studio from the outlet and still got the Win7 Premium DVD plus the driver CD. Also ther ewas the Works and Creative sound CD.
    15R Special Edition|i5-3210m|1080P|ATI7730|16GB|Win7 Prem|750GB|2230N|BT4.0|Backlt KB|

Studio15 BLK|i5-520m|1080P|ATI4570|4GB|Win7|500GB|6200N|BT|9Cell|Backlit KB|GPU DEAD

RIP: Dell Vostro 1400 death from 8400m GS plague

I really hope this isn't the case. I have, as i type, sitting under my desk at work right now a new Studio 17 which was delivered to me today. I planned to take it home in an hour and do a nice clean install of Windows 7......

Incidently, I assume I still use this method to do a clean install?
    Dell System Recovery Guide

When I bought my Dell desktop over three years ago I just shoved in the Dell Windows CD, deleted all partitions, created one new one and reinstalled Windows XP followed by installing the drivers from the resource disk. Worked a treat. Is this still the way of doing things?
    Last edited by Lappy234; 6th May 2010 at 02:47 PM.

Banned

Guys... my replacement just arrived. Well it's a good news- bad news situation. The good news ( for me) is that Dell has shipped my laptop with all the discs as usual. However, and this is the bad news, I also found a yellow instruction manual, with instructions on how to create a recovery disc. The heading says, " Note: Your computer does not ship with an OS disc". So, it seems that Dell is indeed going the HP way. SAD....

Notebook Enthusiast

I received a new Studio 14 and it has the Install Disc, as well as instructions and warning that the computer does not ship with an install Disc.

So looks like they are in the process of not shipping the install Disc.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy234 View Post
    I really hope this isn't the case. I have, as i type, sitting under my desk at work right now a new Studio 17 which was delivered to me today. I planned to take it home in an hour and do a nice clean install of Windows 7......

Incidently, I assume I still use this method to do a clean install?
    Dell System Recovery Guide

When I bought my Dell desktop over three years ago I just shoved in the Dell Windows CD, deleted all partitions, created one new one and reinstalled Windows XP followed by installing the drivers from the resource disk. Worked a treat. Is this still the way of doing things?
    Sorry I couldn't get to your post sooner, I'm in the midst of Finals Week here at college so busy is an understatement.

Check the box, it looks like people are receiving install media still as Dell transitions to the new method. You might be lucky. If so, follow the steps in the post you linked to.

Quote Originally Posted by leopardhunter7 View Post
    Guys... my replacement just arrived. Well it's a good news- bad news situation. The good news ( for me) is that Dell has shipped my laptop with all the discs as usual. However, and this is the bad news, I also found a yellow instruction manual, with instructions on how to create a recovery disc. The heading says, " Note: Your computer does not ship with an OS disc". So, it seems that Dell is indeed going the HP way. SAD....
    Quote Originally Posted by jstyles View Post
    I received a new Studio 14 and it has the Install Disc, as well as instructions and warning that the computer does not ship with an install Disc.

So looks like they are in the process of not shipping the install Disc.
    Looks like they are in a state of transition then, I shall have the guide updated by Saturday evening. Sorry for the delay and +rep to both of you for remembering to come back here. It's a big help.

To be clear though, was the disk you received a disk that only contained the OS, or was it just a image?

Thanks again,
    Ricky

Thanks booboo12

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy234 View Post
    Thanks booboo12
    no problem!

Undiscovered

This is stupid!
    The first thing I always do with a new Dell is delete all partitions, create my own partitions, and reinstall Windows from the supplied media.
    So people can no longer delete the backup partition since thats where they will restore from, and all bloatware etc remains with every rebuild?
    Way to give people greater 'choice' over their own systems, huh!

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ifti View Post
    This is stupid!
    The first thing I always do with a new Dell is delete all partitions, create my own partitions, and reinstall Windows from the supplied media.
    So people can no longer delete the backup partition since thats where they will restore from, and all bloatware etc remains with every rebuild?
    Way to give people greater 'choice' over their own systems, huh!
    If your careful in the online config screens, you'll most likely be able to opt out of most if not all bloatware.

I do agree, this is a step backwards, and hopefully they might consider offering the disks again.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast