Quantcast Why do people hate Dell ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Why do people hate Dell ?

I do not have any Dell products but was considering to buy one Dell laptop.

But while surfing for reviews about Dell brand I found following sites, which were exclusively hosted by dissatisfied Dell owners. Surprised, Why people hate Dell ?

Also, the recent study by SqureTrade shows poor performace by Dell laptops against Asus !

http://www.ihatedell.net/
    http://www.ihatedell.org/

Last edited by URPradhan; 24th November 2009 at 07:34 AM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Why do people hate Dell ?

There is this trend on the internet: no matter what it is there are people who hate it. It's a side effect of freedom of speech.
    dell vostro 1400
    intel t5470
    2GB 667Mhz RAM
    8400m GS 256MB

I don't hate Dell, but I do think they are a largely incompetant wreck of a once great company. I'll give you the latest example.

I wanted to buy a new laptop for my 74 year old mother for her birthday. All she really wanted was a large screen for viewing pictures of the grand kids and something really light since her current machine is too heavy and hurts her shoulder when she travels. After looking around a bit, I decided my real choices were between Dell's Z600 and the HP Envy 15. The Dell had a slightly larger screen (16" v 15.6") and was about half a pound lighter. The HP had some better performance specs, but that really wasn't a concern for her. In the end I chose the Dell.

I placed my order on October 19 and it was scheduled to arrive November 9th. My mother was visiting the week of the 16th, so that worked out perfectly as I could transfer all her files over and help her set it up. On the 10th, I was informed the machine was delayed a week. I called they said one part wouldn't arrive until the 13th but they agreed to expedite the order once it arrived, so that was fine and I would still have it during her visit. On the 16th, I learned that their expedite doesn't count for much and it was further delayed again until the 24th. At this point, they knew how many machines were in the queue. Since they knew when the shipment would arrive, one would think they should have known how many parts were being delivered. And my order was supposedly expedited. How does a company not do the math and manage their promises? I don't know - any reasonable company would.

At this point I was more than a little upset as it would miss her visit, but I could still take it to her during Thanksgiving. On the 20th and again on the 23rd I attempted to confirm the 24th was finally a real date. No answer. Today, the 24th, I was again notified of yet another delay and I canceled my order.

If you go to their website right now, you'll see an order placed today will be deliver in 10 days. That's the "estimate" anyway. I've been waiting for a month and a half. Despite me being assured my order was "expedited", they have missed 3 separate promised delivery dates. I have now missed my mother's birthday. And I will not see her again until sometime next year, so I won't be able to give her the present or help her get it set up.

So, you ask why people hate Dell? I don't hate them. But I understand why some people might.

Oh yeah, that inquiry last Friday seeking to confirm my order date? I just received a response eight hours after I cancelled my yet again delayed order. It didn't mention the latest delay. It just said that I would receive my now canceled order on December 3 (the same day as is promised for machine that are ordered today). Ummm, thanks Dell. If they ever produce that machine I was suppoosed to get, I hope they'll use it to build a computerized order analytics platform or a contact management system because they desperately need both.

The real shame is, this is a company that was built on great service that prided itself on always exceeding expectations. I guess that is why it is so disappointing to see the mess that this once great company has now become.

Notebook Virtuoso

Cant say I hate Dell either, I agree with John C about lousy delivery times, but my big annoyance is the trained monkeys I keep getting for tech support. If they need better help I have a 12 year old who can run circles around 90% of them on phone support. I still like their business class syatems and some of the servers.
    Last edited by crazycanuk; 24th November 2009 at 05:53 PM.
    currently running, Panasonic, ASUS, Apple, Sony, HP, Dulls, Sony and Alienware.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by John_C View Post
    I don't hate Dell, but I do think they are a largely incompetant wreck of a once great company. I'll give you the latest example.

I wanted to buy a new laptop for my 74 year old mother for her birthday. All she really wanted was a large screen for viewing pictures of the grand kids and something really light since her current machine is too heavy and hurts her shoulder when she travels. After looking around a bit, I decided my real choices were between Dell's Z600 and the HP Envy 15. The Dell had a slightly larger screen (16" v 15.6") and was about half a pound lighter. The HP had some better performance specs, but that really wasn't a concern for her. In the end I chose the Dell.

I placed my order on October 19 and it was scheduled to arrive November 9th. My mother was visiting the week of the 16th, so that worked out perfectly as I could transfer all her files over and help her set it up. On the 10th, I was informed the machine was delayed a week. I called they said one part wouldn't arrive until the 13th but they agreed to expedite the order once it arrived, so that was fine and I would still have it during her visit. On the 16th, I learned that their expedite doesn't count for much and it was further delayed again until the 24th. At this point, they knew how many machines were in the queue. Since they knew when the shipment would arrive, one would think they should have known how many parts were being delivered. And my order was supposedly expedited. How does a company not do the math and manage their promises? I don't know - any reasonable company would.

At this point I was more than a little upset as it would miss her visit, but I could still take it to her during Thanksgiving. On the 20th and again on the 23rd I attempted to confirm the 24th was finally a real date. No answer. Today, the 24th, I was again notified of yet another delay and I canceled my order.

If you go to their website right now, you'll see an order placed today will be deliver in 10 days. That's the "estimate" anyway. I've been waiting for a month and a half. Despite me being assured my order was "expedited", they have missed 3 separate promised delivery dates. I have now missed my mother's birthday. And I will not see her again until sometime next year, so I won't be able to give her the present or help her get it set up.

So, you ask why people hate Dell? I don't hate them. But I understand why some people might.

Oh yeah, that inquiry last Friday seeking to confirm my order date? I just received a response eight hours after I cancelled my yet again delayed order. It didn't mention the latest delay. It just said that I would receive my now canceled order on December 3 (the same day as is promised for machine that are ordered today). Ummm, thanks Dell. If they ever produce that machine I was suppoosed to get, I hope they'll use it to build a computerized order analytics platform or a contact management system because they desperately need both.

The real shame is, this is a company that was built on great service that prided itself on always exceeding expectations. I guess that is why it is so disappointing to see the mess that this once great company has now become.
    Maybe tell the whole story about the particular model you were trying to order for a complete picture?
    Most "normal" laptops don't experience issues like this.

@the OP
    So far all my dealings with Dell have been great but i've read enough "horror stories" about their service and especially sales dept. It seems to be a lot worse in the US than in most EU countries somehow. Actually in the chart you show Dell isn't doing bad at all. And you have to consider that the malfunctions within 3yrs are actually covered by Dell as long as you don't buy consumer lines...Asus often just offers 1yr warranty.
    And...a site called "ihatedell.org" for information?
    Precision M4400 T9600 / 4gb / Quadro FX770m / WUXGA 2CCFL / Win7 64bit
    Latitude E6400 P8600 / 4gb / Quadro NVS / WXGA+ WLED / Win7 64bit

Titles Shmm-itles

It is because there is plenty of hate to spread around. There isn't enough love to spread around though, so do the math.

It takes no work to be a hater. You gotta use your head to be a lover though.
    Dell Inspiron 1420 HP tz2500 Tablet PC Lenovo X200T Dell XT2 x 2
    Too close for missiles/ Switching to guns
    Jack Daniels/ Jim Beam/ Johnnie Walker/ Jose Cuervo

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by surfasb View Post
    It is because there is plenty of hate to spread around. There isn't enough love to spread around though, so do the math.

It takes no work to be a hater. You gotta use your head to be a lover though.
    very true...not too much raving about how great someone's been helped... the opposite seems to be very easy
    Precision M4400 T9600 / 4gb / Quadro FX770m / WUXGA 2CCFL / Win7 64bit
    Latitude E6400 P8600 / 4gb / Quadro NVS / WXGA+ WLED / Win7 64bit

Titles Shmm-itles

Quote Originally Posted by LPTP-LVR View Post
    very true...not too much raving about how great someone's been helped... the opposite seems to be very easy
    Man, I can't remember what movie it was. There was a scene where a black and a white guy were talking about racism. The black guy was making fun of the KKk. He takes a napkin and puts it over his head. He then starts chanting, "Yeah guys! Lets go out and hate!"

It makes you pity haters. They go through life so bitter.
    Dell Inspiron 1420 HP tz2500 Tablet PC Lenovo X200T Dell XT2 x 2
    Too close for missiles/ Switching to guns
    Jack Daniels/ Jim Beam/ Johnnie Walker/ Jose Cuervo

Anathema

Hate is a strong word which I don't like using, I'd rather use despise..and even then I don't "despise" Dell.

These threads pop up "here and there", every so often.

It all boils down to individual experience, and satisfaction ~ and how their customer service related issue was resolved. If it wasn't resolved to their satisfaction, of course that person is going to continue to be dissatisfied with Dell or whomever they were dealing with.

If their issue was resolved...they move on.

I've had a few issues where I was angry with Dell and had a few loud *mutters*. But I tried to work with Dell, and Dell has worked with me as much as they could to find some sort of resolve.

There have been times I have had great Customer Service from Dell ~ and those times I try to remember.

Someday, Dell will remember the Customer is the "backbone" of their company...I continually hope and think.

Cin...

Quote Originally Posted by LPTP-LVR View Post
    Maybe tell the whole story about the particular model you were trying to order for a complete picture?
    Most "normal" laptops don't experience issues like this.
    Actually, I did mention the particular model. It was the Dell Z600 as stated in the second paragraph. That is a new model, so the initial 3 week estimate was not surprising. Even the first delay, while disappointing might be understandable. But 3 weeks after the initial order when they miss the date and have to reset expectations, they know what is in the pipeline, what their inventory status is, and what their production rates are. There really is little excuse for missing that second date - especially when there has already been customer contact and the order has been expedited. But let's assume something comes from left field and causes a second missed date, wouldn't you want to make sure the third date was then rock solid? How does any multi-billion dollar corporation miss the date for any machine a third time? There is one and only one possible explanation, sloppy management with inadequate information management capabilities.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast