Quantcast Reformat info for E1705 - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Reformat info for E1705

Quote Originally Posted by USAFdude02
    That is true...well re-format and then see if the Media Direct option works. You can be our ginny-pig!
    lol, DOH! I'm in no real hurry. I'm going to be working right next to it until 5PM, so I got 2.5 hrs to watch the format bar go up a few times!
    Dell Inspiron E1705 - Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz, 17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200), 256MB GeForce Go 7800, 80GB 7200RPM SATA, 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz.

"There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking." ~ Zoolander

Notebook Enthusiast

Also, what is partition magic? Will it allow me to format that 5gig space and add it to my windows partition without reformatting?
    Dell Inspiron E1705 - Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz, 17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200), 256MB GeForce Go 7800, 80GB 7200RPM SATA, 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz.

"There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking." ~ Zoolander

NBR Reviewer & Deity

Yes, but I believe you have to pay for it...if you want to do it that way. From what I hear it is a great program. I don't have any personal experience with it.

Yes, it will edit your partitions.

Notebook Enthusiast

I'm just going to reformat and add the 5 gigs to the main partition.

Notebook Prophet

Partition Magic is good, but only if you have a clean system and alot of space. Reason is because you can only create a partition from the last file to the end of that partition. If you ever need to edit your partitions in the future and don't want to reformat, I would suggest using that.

super modfu

i have partition magic 8. it will let you create, delete, and edit partitions from within windows. you do not have to reformat afterwards, although you will have to reboot a couple times. oh, above poster is correct; it isn't free/shareware

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by oskor
    I just got my E1705 today, 6 days after ordering... WOOT!

I am in the middle of reformating and have a few questions. The Hard Drive is formated in to the following sections:

-: Partition1 [FAT] 47MB <39MB Free>
    C: Partition2 [NTFS] 70065MB <63000MB Free>
    Unpartitioned space 8MB
    E:Partition3 [FAT32] 4754MB <954MB Free>
    Unpartitioned space 8MB

Ok, I konw that 1 of the 3 partitions is an image to restore with, I think that's Partition3. Another is with the OS.... that's partition2 (no brainer). And what is Partition1? Is that MediaDirect?

Here is my problem. I'm going to reformat with XP Pro and I don't really care to keep the image of XP Media, I'd rather have the hard drive space. I just want to know for sure if deleting partition 2 and 3 then combining them to create a new partition for XP Pro is the way to go. Will that keep the mediadirect working on partition1?

Thanks for any info...
    The Unpartitioned space 8MB is not for MediaDirect. It was not created by Dell. It was created by Windows XP CD when the partitions were made :P
    It is created in order to allow Windows to convert basic disks into dynamic disk. More info on this here

E:Partition3 [FAT32] 4754MB <954MB Free> - this is the Dell PC Restore by Symantec. The Dell MediaDirect drivers is on it too. This hidden partition is booted using Dell MBR. Deleting this partition will affect 2 things:
    1. Ctrl and F11 to restore to factory setting
    2. MediaDirect button while notebook is off

-: Partition1 [FAT] 47MB <39MB Free> - this is the Dell Utility Partition and it is booted using Dell BIOS (not by Dell MBR). It means, if you will delete the hidden partition for PC Restore by Symantec, the Dell Diagnostic Utility will still work and unaffected.

If you will install PartitionMagic by Symantec, it will allow you to browse the partition1 but will not allow you browse the partition3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12